The latest FedEx craziness

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

The latest FedEx craziness

Post by doctorwho »

When I shipped out my RM3261 the other day at FedEx, I was asked "Did you loosen the strings?". :shock: I actually had detuned the bass one full step (DGCF), so the answer was "yes", but I pointed out that the CEO of Rickenbacker recommends to not detune a guitar for shipping. The FedEx employee just said, "I'm only stating what the rules are". :roll:

So this, like not being able to insure for full value when using FedEx Ground, shows again that FedEx treats individuals differently from corporate customers. It's yet another reason for me to use the competitor's services. :?
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: The latest FedEx craziness

Post by aceonbass »

I ship guitars and basses via the US Post Office. It's usually about $25.00 for a bass plus insurance, and I NEVER detune them.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:When I shipped out my RM3261 the other day at FedEx...
It hasn't arrived yet, Gary.............
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

doctorwho wrote:When I shipped out my RM3261 the other day at FedEx, I was asked "Did you loosen the strings?".
I've sometimes gotten lectures about loosening the strings from airlines that claim to know better than guitar manufacturers.
Airline Xxxxxx wrote:"It's because of the change in air pressure."
:roll:
Yeah right, if a guitar gets damaged it's because of tuned strings and change of air pressure. Couldn't have anything to do with careless or inappropriate handling. :twisted:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

aceonbass wrote:I ship guitars and basses via the US Post Office. It's usually about $25.00 for a bass plus insurance, and I NEVER detune them.
The USPS has never lost one of my packages, never broken anything, the driver never arrives later than 3PM, they are always fast and cheap, and they deliver on Saturday for no extra fee.

I have no idea why people give the government mail service a bad rap, as long as what I want can fit in the truck I always ask to use USPS.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I could never understand why you'd have to pay insurance to have any courier deliver your package safely. That's what they are supposed to do. That's what you're paying them for. Would you eat at a restaurant that has a policy which states that you should buy their diner's insurance in case their food sickens or kills you?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

rickenbrother wrote:I could never understand why you'd have to pay insurance to have any courier deliver your package safely. That's what they are supposed to do. That's what you're paying them for. Would you eat at a restaurant that has a policy which states that you should buy their diner's insurance in case their food sickens or kills you?
That'd be like not paying for car insurance because other drivers should be able to avoid hitting you. I'm not willing to trust anyone I don't know to handle expensive goods of mine without damaging or stealing them. The $25 or so I pay to insure a bass shipped via USPS is worth it, and my customers think so too. UPS and FED-X don't charge for insurance because it's basically included in their HIGH shipping cost, which is still higher than USPS. In fact I ship everything via USPS.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

aceonbass wrote:That'd be like not paying for car insurance because other drivers should be able to avoid hitting you. I'm not willing to trust anyone I don't know to handle expensive goods of mine without damaging or stealing them. The $25 or so I pay to insure a bass shipped via USPS is worth it, and my customers think so too. UPS and FED-X don't charge for insurance because it's basically included in their HIGH shipping cost, which is still higher than USPS. In fact I ship everything via USPS.
I didn't say you shouldn't pay for the shipping insurance. Just sucks that we have to in this screwed up world we live in. I could tell you about some crazy courier stories that didn't make it to youtube, but not here...I could also tell some true and scary restaurant stories, hospital stories...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I usually detune guitars a half-step down, but then again, I haven't shipped a guitar since August 2009. Upon delivery of both my 60s RI Telecaster and Gretsch Tennessean, both guitars had their strings detuned to the point of just flapping about helplessly. All the Rics I've received have been close to, if not at, full pitch.

At the shipping store I work at every Christmas, this past December, we shipped two guitars. One was a stripped-of-everything 1961 Gibson ES125. It didn't have a case or anything, so we bubble-wrapped the headstock and neck, and boxed the body. Then, I brought a guitar shipping box (and FYI if anyone has any empty guitar shipping boxes they aren't using, let me know) and we packed it tight with peanuts. The other was a Carvin with an exaggerated Explorer/Firebird body (it was from the 80s, go figure). I went to detune it a half-step, and the strings wouldn't slacken at all. I noticed it had a roller nut and locking tuners, in addition to its Floyd Rose vibrato. We had no choice but to ship it tuned to full pitch.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

John Hall has stated previously and numerously that guitars and basses should be shipped tuned to full pitch. The necks are actually stronger that way. If you're looking for boxes to ship guitars and basses in, just go to Guitar Center and ask. Their dumpsters are full if them.
Last edited by aceonbass on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

rickenbrother wrote:I didn't say you shouldn't pay for the shipping insurance. Just sucks that we have to in this screwed up world we live in.
I've been specifically told not to buy shipping insurance, because the couriers hire an outside firm to deal with insurance claims beyond their default amount, and those firms make it exceedingly difficult for individual consumers to receive restitution for damaged/lost goods. If you have read the insurance policies from an international courier: they have a whole lot of stipulations by which they can not honor a claim. It's different for large companies which have corporate contracts with the couriers, but for private individuals: getting UPS or FedEx to pay a claim can be an impossible nightmare. Most insurance is an awful scam anyway; it's capitalizing off fear, and then when the claimant faces a loss: the insurance company almost always fights to deny the claim. My wife works for a doctor's office doing billing, so I get to hear about it all the time. I agree, Joey; it's a screwed-up world.

If you're really worried about shipping and want to pay for insurance: follow the contract (which outlines what each courier defines as "securely-packaged") to the letter; document the entire packaging process before it leaves your hands (meaning: take pictures and/or video of you packaging the item, showing measurements/dimensions of the packing material used, specifically documenting it as compliant with the terms outlined in the contract) and have a professional appraisal of the item available.

I guarantee that if you have a $1,000+ instrument insured for the full amount, and it's damaged in shipping, that the first thing you'll hear is that you didn't package it correctly, meaning that the packaging was not in-compliance with the terms outlined in the contract. It will then fall on you to prove to them that your packaging was compliant ... and quite possibly when you don't even have the item in your possession, after the damage has already occurred, and after the package may or may not have been opened or altered, resulting in it being impossible for you to actually prove anything.

I think the only solution to shipping instruments is to package them as well as you possibly can. Insurance is almost always a scam; insurance companies don't make money by paying-out claims; they make money through fear, elaborate contracts, and the ability to litigate those contracts beyond the means of private individuals.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Just to add to the guitar-shipping nonsense:
In 2012 I shipped a Fender Jazzmaster via UPS from Colorado to San Francisco in a Gibson-branded box I acquired from Wildwood guitars.

I removed all previous shipping labels and blacked-out all the bar codes and other text on the box (except the big "GIBSON" logo printed on both sides) and ... it went to Nashville.

The shipping label was applied by a UPS employee at a UPS store.
T28

Post by T28 »

I have all of my musical equipment covered under a separate policy through Heritage. Everything on the policy is covered for the agreed value and it doesn't matter where the item is located or shipped or borrowed, etc. if it is damaged, it is paid for. Simple and I never have to deal with individual carriers or the nonsense.

Also, if you have your instruments covered under your homeowners policy....even as a rider, if you play out and ever make money your insurance carrier can deny your claims....because they are used professionally. Just a heads up.... So check your policy if you think you are covered and safe as it might not be the case.
cestlamort

Post by cestlamort »

T28 wrote:I have all of my musical equipment covered under a separate policy through Heritage. Everything on the policy is covered for the agreed value and it doesn't matter where the item is located or shipped or borrowed, etc. if it is damaged, it is paid for. Simple and I never have to deal with individual carriers or the nonsense.

Also, if you have your instruments covered under your homeowners policy....even as a rider, if you play out and ever make money your insurance carrier can deny your claims....because they are used professionally. Just a heads up.... So check your policy if you think you are covered and safe as it might not be the case.
Great advice. It's remarkable what your renters/homeowners insurance will not cover. We've had our gear covered with heritage for a few years now, without complaint (or, thankfully, claim). Ask your insurance agent point blank about their coverage if you've earned anything beyond drink tickets from playing live.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

T28 wrote:I have all of my musical equipment covered under a separate policy through Heritage. Everything on the policy is covered for the agreed value and it doesn't matter where the item is located or shipped or borrowed, etc.
As long as it's in the U.S. I checked with them and they were not willing to cover shipping overseas...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”