Computer monitors

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

Computer monitors

Post by jps »

I have a couple in the running here, any comments on what you guys like?

Asus PA248Q
Asus PA249Q
Dell U2413
Eizo EV2436WFS
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Computer monitors

Post by sloop_john_b »

I use the mighty Thunderbolt.

https://www.apple.com/displays/

It also acts as my television. :D
T28

Post by T28 »

I've had good luck with the Dell monitors from their refurb store. About 1/2 price and they seem to work well and last a long time.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

John, is yours the display or the 27" iMac?

It seems the more I read about the Mac mini and it's Intel HD Graphics 4000 the less I am interested! :? Maybe I'll get a 21.5" iMac, the 27" is too large for my needs.

Stephen, I was (and may still be) considering the Dell U2413, possibly. It is around the same price as the Eizo; my main concern with it is flickering at lower brightness levels and some ghosting, both are areas the Eizo is superior in. The AG coating is less severe with the Dell but I have only been able to see the 27" version, and there is no place around here to check out the Eizo, so I would have to go by the very few reviews I have come across on it. An advantage of the Dell (maybe) is that it can do Adobe RGB but that may not be necessary. :? :!:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I have 21.5 and 27" Imacs at home, 27” Imac and a 27" Thunderbolt display at the office. We also have a few Dell 21 and 23" various models. Generally speaking I prefer the Apple displays, with one caveat, the gloss glass covering the screen is extremely glare susceptible. To the point of the display disappearing on bright sunny days, not great for mid 50 year old eyes.

The Dells are less problematic for glare, but I find long term use problematic, I lose focus easily and get headaches from them. I find even on higher resolutions, the Dells still are not as sharp as the Apples. I still prefer the fruit.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have not really had any problems with the 20" iMac (early 2007) that I have as far as the glossy screen goes or with sharpness, either. It's too bad Apple does not make a 22" - 24" display for use with the Mac mini, only the 27" display. Even one of the sales guys at my local Apple store was asking me what good monitors are out there! He knows not everyone wants a 27" screen; that is why I am looking at Dell, Asus, and Eizo monitors.

I am also on the prowl for an external optical drive since the new Macs do not have one, one that is not flimsy and does not use 2 USB ports (I'd prefer a lump type power supply for the drive). Not many out there that meets those requirements that I can see. Apparently, nobody uses CDs anymore for anything! :roll: I guess Apple doesn't consider professional photographers or music recording engineers/musicians important to their customer base any longer. :?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I have an HP LP3065 I like a lot, but I don't think they make them anymore...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Hi Jeff,

If you can find the old Apple 23" Cinema Display, it is still a good one as far as endering Adobe 1998 color.. I have one that I use for some projects. I currently mainly use a 27" iMac. The 21.5" iMac is good too, expecially for editing your new Canon images. 8) I have been thinking of dumping my desktop hardware and just using a dock with a souped up MacBook Retina Pro. I have a friend in Hawaii that does this and it works out very well. He does plug into a large desktop monitor when working at home. I think he has the Thunderbolt. I'll ask for ya.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

My friend is using a Samsung that he got from CostCo and he says it works as well as any Apple monitor he has used in the past. He uses a Retina display MBP and docks it for desktop use and uses a Samsung. I'm thinking of doing this myself instead of having two different computers (laptop & desktop).
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The 2nd monitor on a laptop is pretty popular so that makes sense for you, plus depending on the app you could have things spread across both monitors. A popular use for this is Photoshop where the image itself is on the big monitor and all the palettes are on the smaller (laptop) monitor.

I was at Micro Center today looking at monitors and I have to say the Dell U2713 has a nice look to it's screen (I wish they had the U2413 there to see as it is not really a fair comparison to look at a 27" vs. a 24" screen size). Of course, the new 21.5" iMac with the multicoating on the glass is nice, why won't Apple make a monitor smaller than 27" anymore? I also checked out the Magic Trackpad, very cool, but I'd like to see a wired version as while I was using it a warning came up on the screen that the battery is low; I don't need a wireless device that is only a few inches from the computer.

As to the Adobe RGB color space goes, I don't think any Apple monitors really do cover the space, they do sRGB fine but not a RGB, AFAIK.

Exhibit a:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=68165.0

For those not doing professional printing, however, this is probably a moot point. I have learned a lot in the past few weeks of reading on the subject of color space/gamut and feel i probably do not need the wider gamut of aRGB since a virtually never print anything. I have always had my DSLR set to aRGB and now I wonder what the photos I have been posting here (and elsewhere) really look like; they look fine on my iMac but that is my source for judging them so i make them look good to me. :?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here is something for the TechnoNerds (® CJJ)among us...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive/in ... 93074.html

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”