Dave Clark 5 and Beyond

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Dave Clark 5 and Beyond

Post by rickboy88 »

The Public Broadcasting Service here in the U.S. ran an interesting program about the Dave Clark 5 last night. Here is the direct link to the PBS website where you can apparently watch the whole thing:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/ ... film/2055/

My wife and I saw the 2nd half, so I plan to complete the circle soon and watch the first half of the program.

I briefly thought about putting them in "Artists," but I could only find one image of one of their guitarists playing one once. They seemed to use a lot of different models, including Vox.

Dave Clark was a pretty savvy fellow, only allowing their master tapes to be leased for 5 years, maintaining ownership. I think he also retained publishing. Other than the two main Turtles guys, I can't think of any other 60's groups with that much control of their product. The Turtle guys eventually got that control, it wasn't done that way from the start.

The documentary was in two chunks from what I saw - the big days from the mid-60's to 1970 when they called it quits, and then a period in the 80's when Dave Clark was involved in a big show production with many big names.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Re: Dave Clark 5 and Beyond

Post by xpitt »

Thanks for that post -- I'm Glad All Over ! :wink:
Listening to the B(ritish) F(orces) B(roadcasting) S(ervice) near Hannover at night with headphones on under the pillow to all that British groups was a part of my youth I won't forget :)
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

That is a good documentary. Clark was savvy, Smith was one of the great rock and roll singers, they had some fine material, the DC5's instrumentation remains classic and Bobby Graham time and again proves what a great drummer he was! The Vox gear makes it all that much better.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I discovered DC5 while reading The Beatles: An Authorized Biography by Hunter Davies. Here's my list of essential DC5, let me know if I've missed something! The album cover attached was my initial album by the band. Look up Ron Ryan for some fun song facts.

1. Glad All Over
2. Can't You See That She's Mine
3. I Need Love
4. Good Love Is So Hard To Find
5. Try Too Hard
6. Concentration Baby
7. Because
8. Wild Weekend
9. Bits And Pieces
10. Over And Over
11. Catch Us If You Can
Attachments
The Dave Clark Five Anthology (1971).jpeg
The Dave Clark Five Anthology (1971).jpeg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Looks good to me. I didn't realize that there were another couple of posts to this until tonight.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Well you don't necessarily think of Rickenbackers when your talking about the DC5. I didn't mention I Like It Like That and a couple of others. Those guys sure had a great sound.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”