Double Necked Dan

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

manta
Intermediate Member

Double Necked Dan

Post by manta »

I just got one of these guys... a Dan 6/12. It is a lot of fun, actually. The nut on the necks is narrower than a 330 (1.5. to 1.7) so this probably isn't for everyone but it works well for me.

I have noticed the 6-string side doesn't hold tune as well as the 12er. I am wondering if that is because of the kind of odd bridge that has a rosewood strip on it. I have heard that some owners have changed these out for Tele style bridges. Anyone with any experience in that I would like to hear from.

But this thing sure is fun. Lots of tones and sounds and plays quite nicely once you get use to the necks and placement. :D
10568790_10152628206898291_1330358163897689670_n.jpg
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
antipodean

Re: Double Necked Dan

Post by antipodean »

Super cool!! 8) 8) I'm after a bass/6 twin-neck myself.... once I sell some gear of course!

Re bridges: there were six-saddle bridges available on some of the Korean Danos (the "Pro" line) and on Jerry Jones guitars. Allparts does a version that should be a drop-in replacement. These are a step up from the rosewood bridges in terms of utility.

CJ Guitar tooling does the Tele-esque number which is also a drop-in part, though it sits on the top of the guitar rather being elevated on the mounting screws like a traditional Dano bridge. They look cool but I have no experience with them

Wishing you all the best with your new beast!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Looks like a fun new toy, congrats!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Thanks Evan. I was Googling around and stumbled onto the AllParts offering and I done bought it! It does appear I can just drop the bridge in without any extra work. Looks like it has the same 3 screw holes. I shall report after I get it. CJ, yes, this guitar is really fun. I usually have my acoustic 12 and one of my RIC 6 strings sitting by my desk anyway. Now I have this sitting there! I suspect if I ran a guitar through some iPad effects I could get the same sounds out of one guitar, but this thing looks so retro. Thanks for the input so far. Very helpful. :) 8) 8)
Manta (Tim Rock)
collin

Post by collin »

Nice one Tim!

I always wanted to get one of these and out the electric sitar bridge on the six-string. Pretty far-out, but I never got around to it.

Cool guitars and cheap fun as well
8mileshigher

Double Necked Dan

Post by 8mileshigher »

antipodean wrote: I'm after a bass/6 twin-neck myself.... once I sell some gear of course!
Antipodean, if you're looking for a JetGlo Ric 4080, Doctorwho has one for sale here on the RRF
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=411180&start=30#p825826
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

8mileshigher wrote:
antipodean wrote: I'm after a bass/6 twin-neck myself.... once I sell some gear of course!
Antipodean, if you're looking for a JetGlo Ric 4080, Doctorwho has one for sale here on the RRF
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=411180&start=30#p825826
Too heavy for me, alas.... a Dano or Jerry Jones double neck would weigh about half as much.... and cost a little less too!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I had a white Dano 6/12 with a tweed case for a while. Just like Afroman! Yep, the guy who did "Cause I Got High" in the early 00's played one of these! Super fun guitar and they've increased in value a little bit.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I put on a replacement bridge on the 6-string side and it has made a world of difference. Both 6 and 12 now stay in tune. Having fun with it. Since I play mostly at home, weight isn't really an issue since I am sitting down all the time. 8) 8)
Manta (Tim Rock)
Dom

Post by Dom »

Great find! Those necks are surprisingly nice and I love the sound of those pickups. I had one of the baritone/6's in the blackburst over white. A 12/6 is a much more usable beast. I tuned mine like a bass VI. To counter the nosedive I relocated a strap pin to the bottom neck, switched the necks so I didn't hit the guitar headstock while playing the first 4 frets of the bari & used a wide strap. The stock bridge was a real pain to intonate so that saddle style bridge is a huge improvement. I also stuck a piezo element under that stock bridge & wired it up temporarily to a jack & found some decent sounds that way...still have to resurrect that idea on my longhorn. It was a nice instrument with a great tone but I ended up putting it back to stock & trading it, a dano u2 & a tele copy toward my red 350. I only wish you could get both necks on at once, I love that drone tone with 12/6's! Have fun!
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Thanks Dom. Yes, it is great to play with with the new bridge. And I only have to take one guitar out of the case!!
Manta (Tim Rock)

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”