My new house (really)

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

My new house (really)

Post by gibsonlp »

Hey guys.
It has been a while and I was barely here in the past year or so...
I have good reasons (I think)...

A year ago I took up a new job, working for Google in (Waze, the nav app, in fact...) which took up quite a lot of my time...
Additionally - while doing so we started building our house.

The house is still not ready, but I am very lucky to have a professional designer design a studio for me, a floating room.

The room is a 5.3 by 4.4 meters room, all made from 20cm thick concrete. Inside it we built a floating room that measures about 5 by 4.1 meters internally.
The internal walls are made with two 1.5cm MDF and two 1.2cm plaster. Glass wool is used for the cavity between the studs and light/concrete walls.
The floor is made out of 2x4 (inches...) plunks of wood that sit on a special shock absorber made by "Sylomer". Then 2 layers of 1.5cm MDF sit on top of it.
The ceiling is hang on 2 layers of crossed 2x4 plunks, it is hanged using a rubber washer so there will be no direct "hard" connection.
The internal walls do not touch the external walls.

I can't wait for it to be over so I could start playing again... I am very excited! :)

Some pictures from the process:
Attachments
Another one
Another one
Panoramic view
Panoramic view
Wall profile
Wall profile
More floor
More floor
Floor
Floor
More ceiling
More ceiling
Ceiling
Ceiling
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: My new house (really)

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Gil,

Thanks for your post. How did you treat the windows? And also, how did you determine the size of your room? I have wanted to convert a storage room to a rehearsal space for some time. At any rate, congratulations on your new home and space, and have fun making music in your studio.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

No special treatment for the windows other than having 2 very heavy windows.

My external window, the one that is installed on the "conventional" concrete house is a Pella hurricane shield with a single 9/16" pane, our entire house has Pella windows so I wanted the external window to match the rest of the house in the way it looks.
The internal window will be another single pane, a bit thicker than that (or maybe a bit thinner, still not sure, my studio designer needs to run the numbers).
The idea is to put as much mass as possible between the room and the outside world.
The size of the room was determined by the authorities, we simply run out of allowed house size :)
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

My partner in life in a recent conversation brought up the benefits for her if we created a custom rehearsal space.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Starting to take shape, Gil! When do you think it will be music ready?

Here is a potential music space that we are working on in our house.
IMG-1200_0346.jpg
IMG_1200-0380.jpg
The drywall is up now and should be getting primed tomorrow. Then the Amish come over and put in the red oak trim, and next week (hopefully) the finish/trim carpenter will build our custom Craftsman style stair railings! :D
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Jeff - Thanks. I hope it would be ready within 3-4 months.
Your space looks awesome! and pretty roomy to boot.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

It is a lot roomier than it used to be, that's for sure, and a 17mm lens helps, too. :wink:

Did I mention I got a 6D last year? It is really nice to have full use of my L Series lenses. :D

Here is a photo of the room with the drywall up and primed, with the oak trim waiting to go up.
Attachments
IMG-1200_0478.jpg
IMG-1200_0490.jpg
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Heh :)

The perspective of a wide angle lens on a full frame sensor are awesome :)

Congrats, you did not tell me, the 6d is a great camera, I still have my old, trusty 5d mkII (turning 6 years old soon!).
I thought about upgrading it but I don't shoot as much as I used to and in all honesty - I don't see how it limits me in any way (I rarely shoot birds or sports which are it's weakest points).
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

jps wrote:It is a lot roomier than it used to be, that's for sure, and a 17mm lens helps, too. :wink:

Did I mention I got a 6D last year? It is really nice to have full use of my L Series lenses. :D

Here is a photo of the room with the drywall up and primed, with the oak trim waiting to go up.
Where's the elevator?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

fatcat wrote:Where's the elevator?
Go down the first flight of stairs to the landing, then open the window and take the screen out. Once done, peer out the window farther than you can reach...........................
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

gibsonlp wrote:Heh :)

The perspective of a wide angle lens on a full frame sensor are awesome :)

Congrats, you did not tell me, the 6d is a great camera, I still have my old, trusty 5d mkII (turning 6 years old soon!).
I thought about upgrading it but I don't shoot as much as I used to and in all honesty - I don't see how it limits me in any way (I rarely shoot birds or sports which are it's weakest points).
I don't do anywhere near as much photography as I used to, mostly I use the camera for documenting things going on in and around the house. I felt the 30D was a very nice camera (still is, actually) but I wanted to fully utilize my 17-40 lens, in particular, and the 6D was within range, price-wise (so I thought!).

My old iMac running Leopard would not recognize the .CR2 file used in the 6D so I bought a Mac mini and an Eizo 24' monitor!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Any progress on your house, Gil?

Here is a photo I took earlier today. We decided to turn the attic into a wood shop! :shock:
Attic-Workshop-1200_0541.jpg
This is the custom railing as of the end of today's work.
Railing-1200_0539.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

More progress. Built from raw stock, started last Wednesday and finished late yesterday afternoon.
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2015 All rights reserved
Canon 6D with 17-40/4L

Canon 6D with 17-40/4L

Canon 6D with 70-200/4L IS USM
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

That's some AMAZING wood you've got there Jeffrey!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I was thrilled to finally see my concept in 3D. :D

We put a couple of things inside two of the newel posts, a recent Plain Dealer newspaper, and an old b&w photo of Shari's family from the early '60s, something for future owners to find if they so choose.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”