Univox Hi-Flyer Phase II

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Univox Hi-Flyer Phase II

Post by rkbsound »

I just recently picked up this early 70's Univox Hi Flyer phase II. It has humbuckers, but I have the original pickups. The tuners were also replaced, but I have the originals of those as well, and the tremolo arm. It does have some cracked paint around the neck joint, but that appears to be cosmetic and is typical for a Univox. I am a big fan of slim necks, and this reminds me of the 64 Hagstrom II I used to have. The only issue is that it doesn't have dots on the outside of the neck, and since I'm a bit average in the talent dept, I might have to make some. Overall, this is a guitar that was average or so when manufactured, but really does sound outstanding. I've been looking for one for a while and grabbed this for $300. I think these guitars are still a bit over-priced due to some celebrity noteriety, and $300 was the max I was willing to pay...finding one for that price was the hard part. So...a great find? No. But a really, really, fun find. Cheap guitars can be good players!
Last edited by rkbsound on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Univox Hi-Flyer Phase II

Post by jps »

Looks like this will be a fun project, and with our knowledge of guitars these days I would think you could set it up to play quite well.
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

My German Hofner didn't have side markers on it but when I decided it needed some, I found some stick-ons at MF that have done the job w/o problems.
collin

Post by collin »

Hey Jeff! Great Hi Flyer, love the patina on yours. 8)

As mentioned on BGC, these are some of my favorite (cheap) guitars. Love the necks, super playable and with a unique sound.

I've owned many of these, and have a preference for the Phase 1 (and 2) models and still have an early Phase 1 tucked in black tucked away..
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
DSC_0402_zpsaaaa7c35.jpg
Even a white Phase 1 bass! Never seen another one in almost 20 years buying these things..
IMG_8922_zpsae317829.jpg
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Wow - those are in such great condition! I've been looking for a while and, though they are out there, they don't seem to be too common. The patina on this is really nice, and it sounds great as-is, so for now I am going to leave it alone and just enjoy it. How did you come to develop such an interest? I'd post this on the BGC but it just results in less than flattering comments.
collin

Post by collin »

rkbsound wrote:Wow - those are in such great condition! I've been looking for a while and, though they are out there, they don't seem to be too common. The patina on this is really nice, and it sounds great as-is, so for now I am going to leave it alone and just enjoy it. How did you come to develop such an interest? I'd post this on the BGC but it just results in less than flattering comments.
Oh yeah. Unless a Beatle played one of these, there is zero love at the BGC. :lol:

Hi Fliers aren't common guitars, but the internet has made them a lot easier to find. These were the first gear I actively collected, and was introduced to them (like a lot of folks) by Nirvana.

I remember scouring the internet in the late 90s looking for these things, calling pawn shops and searching classified ads. When Ebay first came around it was a revelation! These were kind of an odd guitar to collect, but I was pretty young and the typical price of a Hi Flier was around $150 back then. Over time I sold them all (a lot of them went to Europe), but I held onto one that has a similar beat up patina to yours. I'll take a pic!
collin

Post by collin »

Also, if you need a set of original p90-type pickups (or any other small parts), just let me know. I have a small stash of parts that are specific to the Univox Hi Flier.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Thanks!

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”