Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Sugarcane

Gibson just announced

Post by Sugarcane »

scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Gibson just announced

Post by scott_s »

I didn't see that coming either, but I guess it makes sense business-wise. Didn't Gibson have a line of amps somewhat recently, though? Perhaps they were just made on contract and Gibson-branded instead of being an in-house effort.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I've always associated Mesa Boogie amps with PRS guitars. :D
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
collin

Post by collin »

scott_s wrote:I didn't see that coming either, but I guess it makes sense business-wise. Didn't Gibson have a line of amps somewhat recently, though? Perhaps they were just made on contract and Gibson-branded instead of being an in-house effort.
Gibson has had amps in their lineup a couple times and most notably a large lineup of tube amps in the late 50s and early 60s.

These were all designed and built in-house though, without the need for a third party.

I'm kind of surprised that the brand Gibson bought was Mesa Boogie. Not that there is anything wrong with Mesa (they're wonderful) but there are tons of really excellent boutique amp brands that could have given Gibson the expertise and credibility without the large acquisition price. Brands like Dr. Z, Trainwreck, Two-Rock etc.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”