Salvation for smoke choked club players

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

philco
Intermediate Member

Salvation for smoke choked club players

Post by philco »

I just got a new Air-Zone XT-6000 ozone generator. I tried it in my smoke odor filled bathroom. This guy next door liked to smoke a lot.....he must have been buried in a cloud of smoke all night. Wall penetrations allowed the smell to enter the space between apartment walls, and a north wind could push the smell into my apartment. I also had a musty smell in my air conditioning system. I found out that ozone could obliterate both, so I searched for a suitable model that could produce the monster amounts needed to kill mold, rather than just handle cigarette smoke like most little home units do.

Well, I found it, and it works. This thing kicks out serious amounts of ozone, enough to clean out an entire nightclub full of smoke. The best thing is that it has a variable output control, so you don't have to overdo it, and a timer in case you don't remember to turn it off. You MIGHT have to sneak it in disguised as something else, but I think you could pass it off as a stage light or something. Mount a light bulb on it if you had to. 6000 mg of ozone per hour is no piddling amount, and it weighs only 10 pounds and draws only 1 amp of current. If the smoke is really getting to you, this could help. I have a low smoke tolerance, and that's why I tend to avoid nightclubs. This could keep you from throwing in the towel if you're an affected player. The patented design is very low maintenance, and the ozone elements are cheap to replace, if you ever need to.

www.air-zone.com

This thing can also kill e-coli bacteria in your home in 2 hours or less (but this is WAY above the level needed to clear cigarette smoke odors). So the nightclub is also grungy? Show up early and sterilize it! Image Ozone quickly dissipates on its own, and usually breaks down toxins into carbon dioxide, water, and oxygen.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

That's the only bad thing about a musician that can't stand smoke. Here in New York, they're trying to do away with smoking at bars, so that will be better for people like yourself. But, a lot of people aren't going to bars anymore because of this, so there's another delema.

It's really a tough situation. When my music instructor quit smoking, he said it was the toughest thing going to smoke filled bars. Now he feels more comfortable. The last time I saw his band play, the huge nightclub wasn't even a quarter full because no one wanted to go smoke outside in sub-zero weather.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I am very sensitive to smoke, also perfume, I get headaches, memory loss, blurry vision, etc. This has been the bane of my night club playing life, but I love playing too much to stop playing out, I'll wear a gas mask if I have to to play.
I might just try that, they did away with smoke in Vermont in clubs several years ago, it had an effect at first but the people came back. Not many people smoke here in Lima, but they pile on the perfume and after shave, I don't know how many times I've had to move in internet cafés or even leave sometimes. I might check that thing out when I get back.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Bob, you might want to check into the Swedish Blueair air purifiers. You can take it to a nightclub and set it behind you. It should clear the entire bandstand of smoke to a reasonable degree. The IQAir purifiers are the best for bedroom and sickroom use (IQAir is a very major hospital supplier), but I couldn't tolerate the noise when I turned them up to top speed when listening to music in the living room, and that was only 250CFM anyway. The new Blueair 601 will put out 500CFM at top speed at only about 59dB, which is easy to play over. It's the world's quietest air purifier (and best looking); it sits on display in the museum of modern industrial art in Stockholm. The Blueair 501 is next quietest, and then the Friedrich C90-A after that. All are much quieter at lower speeds. You would need the optional smokestop filter kit, which only cost me $50 extra when I got it with my Blueair 501 as an option. $147 otherwise for the filter kit. The Blueair 501 w/smokestop kit costs $550 in the states, shipping included, and made from stainless steel and carry a 10-year warranty in the USA and Canada, being heavy built for 24x7 use. The 601 is just a 501 with a motor upgrade at $100 extra. I checked them all out, and IQAir and Blueair are the cream of the crop under $1000, but for somewhat different uses.

The Blueair and IQAir units are VERY good for allergy sufferers like yourself. My problem is mold allergy, and these units really work, but remember that clean air doesn't go through walls. You have to have one for every major room in the house you stay in, which is why I have three. They also filter out many toxic gases in the environment. All molds give off toxic gases as a primary metabolite. Mycotoxins are a secondary metabolite of toxic mold only (when the mold feels threatened).

The strange thing about my mold allergy is that it has made me much more sensitive to nicotine. I can smoke two cigarettes and get so high that I can barely walk. If it wasn't for the nausea, I would have me a really cheap legal high.

I still have to drink the same amount of wine for a buzz. Image

IQAir makes a GC series (for gas control) if smoke and gases are your primary concern over particulate control. A filter set for those will set you back $500 and up come changeout time.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Bob and Robert, here's a good link to check the top models out in one place.

www.allergybuyersclub.com

Click on product comparisons and then click on air purifiers.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Bob, today was a landmark day for me. I received my first treatment for my work-related condition at the Environmental Health Center-Dallas. It took over $7000 worth of tests and office visits to prove my case (which I had to front out of my own pocket). I also won a landmark authorization for a certain treatment that nobody else that works in the Federal Government has managed to get before. OWCP is a tough nut to crack, and they screwed me out of all my treatment costs back in 97-98 on the first go around. Dr. William J. Rea runs the place, and he is world renowned in environmental medicine. His diagnosis holds up in court, and the lawyers know it. He used to work for the same outfit I do, and he got tired of seeing his patients die due to the unhealthy environment in his operating rooms. If anybody can get you over your allergy, he can, so you might want to contact him after you get back to the states. He saved Dr. Sherry Roger's life and now she lectures on environmental health on TV shows. They have each written numerous books that you might want to check out.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Hi Phil,
I tried to send you an e-mail but it bounced back, I know what you are talking about, and know of those two people you mentioned. When I can get an e-mail to you I'll send some details of what I went through.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”