Joni Mitchell

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

shamustwin

Joni Mitchell

Post by shamustwin »

...was on television last night in a small concert setting. She is and always has been amazing. Does anyone know the tuning she was/is using? Her guitar sound was fantastic.
loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

Is she still using the Parker Fly these days?
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Yes, it was a Parker. I'm sure it was a very recent concert. She has a very unique way of playing.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Last I heard, she had something like 57 different tunings. Which one were you looking for?! In the past she used a V-Guitar (I'm not sure which model) to do the transposing of her tunings, at least with electric guitar.
ibmindless

Post by ibmindless »

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not familiar with the forum's capabilities - otherwise I'd attach a text file of 90+ Joni songs with the altered tunings for each. I assembled the info some time ago from the web. Here's an excerpt that describes her methods:

Many of Joni Mitchell's tunings are based on the traditional D and G tunings. For example, a simple way to visualize the C

tuning is to think of it as the D tuning tuned one step lower. Joni's current favourite tuning -- what she calls the "Canadian"

tuning -- is really just the D tuning with the D (4th) string tuned up a whole tone to E (e.g., "Passion Play"). For other songs

in this tuning, the strings are still tuned the same in relation to each other, but a semitone or a tone lower ("Sunny Sunday",

"Yvette in English"). Don't forget, Joni's voice has lowered over the years, so songs she used to sing in D tuning, for example, may be in C tuning for current live versions.ImageJoni Tunings
Joni Mitchell tunings.txt (7.0 k)

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”