Classical composers you dig?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Here is a brief list of some of my favorite classical composers and specific works:

Dvorak: 7th, 8th, and 9th Symphony
Vivaldi: Concerto in C major Per La Solenita di San Lorenzo , The Four Seasons
Bruckner: 3rd, 4th, and 7th Symphonies
Mahler: 5th Symphony
Mendelssohn: 3rd and 4th Symphonies
Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Handel: Water Music
Holst: The Planets
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture, Piano Trio in A minor
Rossini: William Tell Overture
Wagner: The Ride of the Valkyries, Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin (which appeared in Help)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

while i prefer 20th century composers & music,i really want to check out dvorak & mahler.both these cats apparently had it all covered & were ahead of their contempories...like they were 20th century composers.

i've heard that dvorak's cello concerto may be the best of all,and that all mahler's symphony's
are very creative.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I have Dvorak's Cello Concerto on a CBS Masterworks CD, Yo-Yo Ma on cello with Lorin Maazel directing the Berliner Philharmoniker orchestra. Very very nice!

I can't remember which of Mahler's symphonies I heard first, but I really liked it because it was so interesting in its structure and execution.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
rictified

Post by rictified »

I have also always though the piano solo in "In My Life" was Bachian (new word?). In fact I unconciously think it's a harpsicord until I really listen. Anything baroque sounds like Bach to me.
I can also hear it in "Bus Stop" and in "And Your band can sing in George's guitar parts to a lessor degree although I never thought about it until I read your post Peter.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I think the piano solo in In My Life sounds slightly harpsicordish because it's been sped up, if I remember my Beatle history.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

the more i check these cats out...the more i'm impressed with the russians. particularily stravinsky,shostakovich & prokofiev. plus mussorgsky & rimsky-korsakov, who were major influences on the 3 20th century cats mentioned above.

stravinsky is well known for his 3 ballet pieces. but check out his lesser known pieces, like "orpheus", "symphony in 3 movements", "symphony in c", "symphony of psalms"...all fantastic & contemporary,even today.

shostakovich, while under great political duress a good part of his life, created 15 symphonies (count em 15), 15 string quartets & a number of concertos & ballets...all high quality pieces.

prokofiev...ballets like "romeo & juliet", symphonies ("scythian suite"),plus many concertos & operas. he too, was watched by the communist government, much like shostakovich.

life wasn't easy, but they made their point thru their brilliant "musical & timeless" compositions.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”