Surf Jazz?

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Surf Jazz?

Post by kenposurf »

The surfing films of the 50's and 60's often featured a "cool" jazz score. This fit the time as their is a direct link to early California surf culture and the Beat scene. Most often, these films were were narrated by the film maker live at the showings. Bruce Brown's films were like a travel log ...the most well known is of course The Endless Summer with music by the Sandals. His earlier films featured jazz artists such as Bud Shank on his Barefoot Adventure film. It's a cold day in Northern California..hope this clips warms ya up.....

cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Surf Jazz?

Post by cjj »

Cool film! Those waves actually look like they could get boring after a while! Those old long boards were kinda fun though, you could move around quite a bit on 'em and still stay up. Nothing like my Hobie tri-fin thruster gun I used towards the end of my surfing days. I grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California in the 60's and 70's, lots of fun, but we never got a music score to go along with it. Kinda weird that I ended up on a farm in Northern Montana...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
personatech

Post by personatech »

Cool! I was searching the 'net for info on surf jazz, thinking I'd like to start up an instrumental group with surf, jazz, and no wave influences (think Raybeats meet Lounge Lizards) and wanting more info on a genre I thought would be more, well, "findable".
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”