Photographs of the 480 Series

Capturing Guitar images
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Photographs of the 480 Series

Post by Grey »

8mileshigher wrote:Erik, a question if you note on the Neck pick-up, the strings are off centered from the pole pieces. Not lined up over the mark at all. Are yours like that, or am I possibly dealing with the workmanship of an inexperienced luthier who might have inadvertantly flipped the PUP around, :roll: making the strings off centered, when he screwed the PUP into the replacement guard ? ?
Mine are dead center, looks like somebody forgot to measure. :lol:

Bridge height screws + springs http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 06114.html

Pickguard screws http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 05202.html

Neck pickup (the two that hold the pickup to the pickguard) http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 05112.html

Bridge pickup http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 05203.html

TRC + jack plate http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 05200.html

Pad http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 03802.html

Switch tip http://www.pickofthericks.com/products/ ... 03568.html
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Those are the (in my opinion..awesome) early hi gain 381 pick-ups! I have them on my '73 620. They give you a great unique Rick sound, different from both Toasters and the later Hi Gains. I love 'em.

Congratulations again Rich! This should work well with your other guitars.

Dan-o
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Danotron wrote:Those are the (in my opinion..awesome) early hi gain 381 pick-ups! I have them on my '73 620. They give you a great unique Rick sound, different from both Toasters and the later Hi Gains. I love 'em.

Congratulations again Rich! This should work well with your other guitars.

Dan-o

Thanks, Dan-o !!! I never realized how much I needed a 480 till I got this. :wink: :D It's really a cool guitar, comfortable to play, I love that bass-design (got totally RAS-ed at Jen's 4001 getting tinkered with by Joey the last couple of Set-Up Sundays); this one has a wild color and it definitely fits into my little Ric collection !

From what I can tell, these PUPs sound a little beefier than others ....

Hope you can find a old-style Ric case at the Nor Cal guitar show for this baby !!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Erik --- thanks for all your detailed info !! :D :D :D
collin

Post by collin »

Danotron wrote:Those are the (in my opinion..awesome) early hi gain 381 pick-ups! I have them on my '73 620. They give you a great unique Rick sound, different from both Toasters and the later Hi Gains. I love 'em.

Nice, those are indeed transitional hi gains. (which makes perfect sense for a '73...)

Your purchase just became a much better deal, great job Rich! :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Sweet deal, Rich, are we going to see it at SCARF? :)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

collin wrote:
Nice, those are indeed transitional hi gains. (which makes perfect sense for a '73...)

Your purchase just became a much better deal, great job Rich! :)
Thanks Collin :D ----- your insight on these older models is much appreciated !

JakeK wrote:Sweet deal, Rich, are we going to see it at SCARF? :)
Yes, I hope to have it cleaned up by then and in shape to display at SCARF.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

8mileshigher wrote:Erik, a question if you note on the Neck pick-up, the strings are off centered from the pole pieces. Not lined up over the mark at all. Are yours like that, or am I possibly dealing with the workmanship of an inexperienced luthier who might have inadvertantly flipped the PUP around, :roll: making the strings off centered, when he screwed the PUP into the replacement guard ? ?
Rich, I was told many years ago by a member of this forum (I believe he was a past Ric employee) that made a 480 pickguard for me that there was some variation on the 480 pickguards regarding alignment therefore it's always best to have the original to trace from if possible. That statement was echoed by Pickguardian, who BTW can make you another pickguard if needed. That said, it's very possible someone had to use a tracing from another 480 and so it doesn't line up exactly.

Congrats on the 480. Very cool color. 8) I've always thought that if I every landed another one and it needed a refin I'd do it in Sea Foam Green.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

IHeartRics wrote:
Rich, I was told many years ago by a member of this forum (I believe he was a past Ric employee) that made a 480 pickguard for me that there was some variation on the 480 pickguards regarding alignment therefore it's always best to have the original to trace from if possible. That statement was echoed by Pickguardian, who BTW can make you another pickguard if needed. That said, it's very possible someone had to use a tracing from another 480 and so it doesn't line up exactly.

Congrats on the 480. Very cool color. 8) I've always thought that if I every landed another one and it needed a refin I'd do it in Sea Foam Green.
Thanks Jeff --- I really like this wild color ! :) I've spent last night and today disassembling and Zymolizing it. Had to use some Goo Gone on some of the sticker residue .... I think it's always going to show a trace of that poor decision of the prior owner to put stickers on a nice re-finish! :roll: :twisted:

It is a new pickguard on it from Pickguardian... (sticker on the inside). Only one little problem, the one screw hole on the bottom of the pickguard was too close to the edge and it splintered into the body cavity and the screw wouldn't hold. I took the advice JH had posted on another thread and filled the frayed screw hole with super-glue, so after it dries I can drill a pilot hole and have something for the screw to dig into.

After de-gunking and polishing the pickups, I flipped the Neck PUP around and presto, the threaded posts lined up directly under the strings. I had one brand new High Gain chrome cover ring on hand (from the Toasterization I did on the 370-WB recently) and dressed up the 480's Bridge PUP with the new chrome. :) I sent my order in to POTR this afternoon to get all new shiny screws and a new rubber mount for the Bridge pick-up. (Thanks again for the part numbers, Erik) I put a fresh set of Ric 10-42 strings on it just now and am going to tune it up. I'll post some more pics after I get the new trimmings from POTR.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Actually, it's Chip, the othet guy from Ohio. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to see pics of the finished product. :D
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks Chip, sorry about that mix-up. :oops:

I just installed the new goodies received from POTR and the new strings and tested it out last night. That Bridge PUP really kicks out some High Gain tone :D . Picked up a nice snug-fitting case for it that will do, until I can find an older Ric case for it.

Even though I have big hands, I really like this thin 70s style neck it has :D What a difference between this thin neck compared to the "club" feel of my 2006 330 neck !

I'll try and take a couple of new pics this weekend.... maybe I can get some early morning pictures outside without the sun's glare. Can't wait to bring the 480 to SCARF next weekend and give it a proper introduction at a Rickenbacker Jam. 8) and run it through the Celestion Blues on my Vox at a decent volume ! :wink:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Have you examined the harness? I'm always curious about wether or not people leave the .0047 cap in.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Spike- wrote:Have you examined the harness? I'm always curious about wether or not people leave the .0047 cap in.
This guitar was worked on and refinished 4 years ago. The original wiring harness and original Bridge came with the guitar packed in baggies and had been replaced when some Mid West luthier refinished this 480. I don't recall the .0047 cap being there, but isn't that more of a thing with the 5th knob wiring harnesses ?

Whoever did the wiring had the pots all helter-skelter and volume and tone controls were all over the place. :x I flip-flopped them back into proper position. Looks like a professional wire-harness was used, and somebody who knew their soldering techniques, but I don't know if it's a genuine Ric as I've never seen an after-market wire harness from the Ric Boutique. The replacement Bridge used is genuine Ric parts.

Erik, do you have a picture posted on this thread of your 480 wiring harness, so I can compare ?
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

8mileshigher wrote:This guitar was worked on and refinished 4 years ago. The original wiring harness and original Bridge came with the guitar packed in baggies and had been replaced when some Mid West luthier refinished this 480. I don't recall the .0047 cap being there, but isn't that more of a thing with the 5th knob wiring harnesses ?

Whoever did the wiring had the pots all helter-skelter and volume and tone controls were all over the place. :x I flip-flopped them back into proper position. Looks like a professional wire-harness was used, and somebody who knew their soldering techniques, but I don't know if it's a genuine Ric as I've never seen an after-market wire harness from the Ric Boutique. The replacement Bridge used is genuine Ric parts.

Erik, do you have a picture posted on this thread of your 480 wiring harness, so I can compare ?
The .0047 cap was a bass cut that sat between the bridge pickup, it was used on all 480 models and many other Rickenbacker guitars and basses, untill it was replaced with a shunt sometime around the late 80s early 90s.
Here's a pic of the harness on mine, you can see the small .0047 cap in place.
Attachments
480circuit.JPG
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks Erik. Your camera takes excellent zoom close-ups !!!

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”