RRF Moderator

Re: Photographs of the 480 Series

Post by jingle_jangle »

Dat boy bin smokin' jimson or sumptin'.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

This is something you won't see often. 480/1 Rickenbacker case on eBay. Not the form-fitted model, but the "generation 2" version with the rounded slope for the body and the smaller equipment tray to accomodate the larger horn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-rare-19 ... 337271acff
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Bump time. :D

Lately i've been neglecting the Rick in favor of the Jazzmaster as i'm finding that my taste in tone is changing. I used to play alot of high gain rock music and now i'm favoring clean tones and indie rock. The Rick is a very bright guitar and the super hi-gain pickups make it a shrill instrument at times. Would Toasters give me a smoother, warmer sound? These are 80's hi-gains that are wound very high.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Grey wrote:Bump time. :D

Lately i've been neglecting the Rick in favor of the Jazzmaster as i'm finding that my taste in tone is changing. I used to play alot of high gain rock music and now i'm favoring clean tones and indie rock. The Rick is a very bright guitar and the super hi-gain pickups make it a shrill instrument at times. Would Toasters give me a smoother, warmer sound? These are 80's hi-gains that are wound very high.
First see if your 480 has the 0.0047 cap on the treble pick up. If is does, replace it with a wire and see if you like it better. Regarding a toaster, I think a 7.4K toaster will soften it but not warm it up. IMO it will give it a more "acoustic" feel with less bite and attact as the Hi-Gain, but it will still have that Ric chime to it. I use a 12K toasters in mine with the 0.0047 cap, but have the HB in the neck to blend in the bottom end and sustain. The Ric HB in the trebel position may be an option too.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

It does have the cap, and i've been meaning to remove it. Sorry for the late reply.

Why would someone have Pete Best sign a 481? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-1976-Ricke ... 19d04a8574
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

This is really turning into more of a "480 General" thread than a photography thread, but that's ok. I want to add to my previous post and say that I pulled the cap out a month ago and have never looked back.

I can see the application and appeal it might have in a 12-string guitar but cannot understand why anyone would want it in their 6.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Grey wrote:This is really turning into more of a "480 General" thread than a photography thread
I think it did so about 16 pages ago. :wink:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jps wrote:I think it did so about 16 pages ago. :wink:
I think you might be right. :lol:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Here's some pics of a neat 480 refinish dubbed "Caribbean Burst".
Rickenbacker480One.png
Rickenbacker480Five.png
8mileshigher

Photographs of the 480 Series

Post by 8mileshigher »

Erik, is that Caribbean Burst yours ? Or some other Forum member's ?
That's a very unusual edging finish treatment.... who is doing the re-finish work ?
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Grey wrote:I pulled the cap out a month ago and have never looked back. I can see the application and appeal it might have in a 12-string guitar but cannot understand why anyone would want it in their 6.
It's in both of my 480's and I love it. The bridge by itself, no way. Blended with the neck PU it's awesome, but remember I have a 12k toaster in the bridge and a Ric HB in the neck.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I wondered if my former 480 had this cap or not - I doubted it. As I was bored, I looked through some old photos and actually found one of the 480 JG with the scratchplate flipped open... and behold, there it was! I must be getting old :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

The elusive 483......amazing guitar.....nearly near mint
Attachments
100_5702.jpg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yep. Most of them are farly far...
8mileshigher

Photographs of the 480 Series

Post by 8mileshigher »

Craig, is that 483 a factory issued guitar with the three pickups, or was it modded by a previous owner for three pickups ?

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”