Photographs of the 480 Series

Capturing Guitar images
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Photographs of the 480 Series

Post by jingle_jangle »

Spike- wrote:Finding a way to solve my neck plate problem is ever elusive. :lol: I guess the simple answer would be to 'get over it'
I think that the shaped wooden cover looks "stuck on". My curious mind wants to know what's under there, and why did they cover it up?

I don't see anything wrong with those plates. Neck plates have been done with more charming shapes (Mosrite, for example), but I don't think the softer shape adds any "warmth". I also don't think that "warmth" is needed--the appeal of solid-bodied electric guitar design is often centered on the contrast between wood/organic and metal/geometric, going right back to the Telecaster.

Also, in reading through this thread, I noticed the comment on the black plexi guard on my 481 MG/BT. It's original. I don't know how that tip got such a weird shape, except through wear on the routing pattern.

I prefer the 481 for the same reasons that you dislike it. The odd pickguard shape and slanted pickups and frets make this a really unique and intriguing guitar, visually, and I daresay that the MG/BT is the best-looking of all possible color combinations offered for this model--the black contrast with the maple is striking. The JG/white is the most common of the color combinations, and lacks charm IMO. Add to this the huge humbuckers and phase reversing switch, and you've got some nice sounds there!

I have zero problem with slanted frets, from a player's standpoint. I think that people who are dubious of them haven't played them enough (or at all) and are living too much in their heads re: playability.

Believe me, if you were playing a gig and for some reason a 481 was your only backup, you'd get used to it in a heartbeat.

BTW, my attraction to these models began when I restored a really beat-up JG 481 for Forumite Melissa Breitsprecher:

It played and sounded really nice...That's Gareth Holder's FG 4001 in the background...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jingle_jangle wrote:I don't see anything wrong with those plates. Neck plates have been done with more charming shapes (Mosrite, for example), but I don't think the softer shape adds any "warmth". I also don't think that "warmth" is needed--the appeal of solid-bodied electric guitar design is often centered on the contrast between wood/organic and metal/geometric, going right back to the Telecaster.
It's not about adding "warmth", it's that the plate clashes with the otherwise elegant design execution of the guitar and looks last-minute and slapped on. Quite simply, it's ugly. The guitar is made up of flowing shapes and supple curves, the plate has hard edges and looks lifeless, comprimising the looks of the body. Hell, even Fender neck plates are stamped with the Fender logo.

My preferred solution would have been counter-sunk neck ferrels but like you pointed out in an earlier conversation, there's not enough "meat" in the body to support that method, the plate has to remain to provide structural support.

Oh, and as a side note, if there ever comes a point where my 480 needs to be re-finished, the new color is going to be blue-burst. 8)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Gotcha. BTW, Fender plates have only had the logo since the CBS takeover. Prior, they were plain plated steel, stamped with the serial number.

Ummm...pickups are rectangular (geometric)...knobs are circular (geometric)...the bridge is a rectangle, tuners have either circular or rectangular cases.

I see a guitar body as a graphic shape brought into three dimensions, usually organic in nature, but having applied geometric "function" parts as above.

Works for me, but the make or break is in the details of how these disparate elements are placed and distributed across the guitar's face.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree. In the end, i've come to accept the plate enough to the point where I wouldn't want to do any non-reversible modifications to the guitar to 'improve' it. I still might end up having something custom-made. Not necessarily a cover, but a specially designed and engraved plate perhaps. I don't have a problem doing mods since it was 100% origional when I got it and I keep all those parts safely stored away.

As an aside, simply out of curiosity and a fascination with these guitars, Greco also produced a copy of the 480, similar to Ibanez. I find it interesting that there are actaully two knock-offs of the 480 which, suffice to say, wasen't exactly graced with the same popularity of Ric's other models at the time.

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I believe that the reason for the Japanese knock-offs had to do with the iconic body shape, and the fact that RIC did all the visual and engineering homework for them. Easy to copy + looks like a Rick bass = triple the market penetration of a bass alone.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I don't think i'll ever get tired taking pictures of this guitar.... though we need some more owners who are equally as photogenic. :wink:
Paul, that Blue-Burst is simply fantastic. Blue just looks great on rick's.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, if I ever manage to get one... :( I'll take LOTS of pictures. It's really the only RIC guitar that I like. Probably 'cause I'm a bass player...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Where are the set-neck 480's? I seem to recall seeing one.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

egosheep wrote:Where are the set-neck 480's? I seem to recall seeing one.
Must have been your imagination.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Spike- wrote:
egosheep wrote:Where are the set-neck 480's? I seem to recall seeing one.
Must have been your imagination.
Certainly not! See here and here, for example. No photos though, which is why I asked. Maybe someone saved them?
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

egosheep wrote:Certainly not! See here and here, for example. No photos though, which is why I asked. Maybe someone saved them?
I doubt it, even barring some super-early prototype version. The 4080 Double Neck was a bolt on, and so was the 481. Both guitars in question in those links had been refinished, probably to hide the filled screw holes.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Spike- wrote:
egosheep wrote:Certainly not! See here and here, for example. No photos though, which is why I asked. Maybe someone saved them?
I doubt it, even barring some super-early prototype version. The 4080 Double Neck was a bolt on, and so was the 481. Both guitars in question in those links had been refinished, probably to hide the filled screw holes.
No, the first link doesn't mention being refinished anywhere. The one pic of it looks like its a fireglo, and Paul W. said it was a genuine set neck 480. It's from 1972. I guess this may be the only one with a set neck from the factory.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

egosheep wrote:No, the first link doesn't mention being refinished anywhere. The one pic of it looks like its a fireglo, and Paul W. said it was a genuine set neck 480. It's from 1972. I guess this may be the only one with a set neck from the factory.
There are known 72' BurgundyGlo models floating around with bolt-on's. It's possible but I still seriously doubt it. I'd be curious to know how Paul is certain its legit, too.

Even the un-slanted 481 prototype was bolt-on.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Yea... the first one states that alot of parts are non-original. Knobs, Tailpiece, etc. The neck is unbound and the fingerboard is different with Jumbo Frets. My guess is the first one was a custom job and the second one was converted and re-finished.

Maybe it was a "10's Anniversary American Deluxe" :lol: :lol:

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Spike- wrote:
egosheep wrote:No, the first link doesn't mention being refinished anywhere. The one pic of it looks like its a fireglo, and Paul W. said it was a genuine set neck 480. It's from 1972. I guess this may be the only one with a set neck from the factory.
There are known 72' BurgundyGlo models floating around with bolt-on's. It's possible but I still seriously doubt it. I'd be curious to know how Paul is certain its legit, too.

Even the un-slanted 481 prototype was bolt-on.
I don't recall why I thought it was original, and can't find the pics on my hard drive, either. Both my own 480 and 481 are bolt-necks.

BTW, did anyone track that dog of a JG 480 that ended over the weekend on eBay? It started out slow and hung in at <$500 for nearly a week with 10 bidders. I had about $750.00 sitting on it (my estimate of its true worth), and in the last 2 seconds it shot up to close at $921.00!

This was a '75 that had been heavily-used by its original owner, who was offering it up for sale. It had been fitted with humbuckers at some point long ago, and literally needed everything gone through. The neck pocket had cracks on both sides, and the seller made no bones about it being a rubberneck as a result. The headstock had soaked in water, and the finish had been peeling off in that area, and had been touched up.

WAAAAY overvalued IMO. A fluke, or are values on the rebound? I think the former.

Back in '04-'05, 480s were selling in the $700-800 range in VGC. Then came Serge and Kasabian and hoopla...

Serge has great taste in Ricks!

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”