iPhone x Fisheye x 4001FL

Capturing Guitar images
cassius987

iPhone x Fisheye x 4001FL

Post by cassius987 »

I'm still incredulous over how good this picture turned out from my wife's iPhone (with a tiny little fisheye lens stuck on it):

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: iPhone x Fisheye x 4001FL

Post by jps »

Nice! But it shows up the need for a fourth pickup, now! Space, man! Need to fill up that space by the bridge! :twisted:
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

You can knock it but it sure beats the P Bass pickup the last guy stuck in there...!

My current favorite setting is the neck pickup off, the bridge pickup full on, and the mid pickup supporting it at about 85% of full volume. It's kind of a "P-rick" sound... :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Too funny. Nice photo though. :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You should make the middle PU a slider to cover the whole gamut in between the neck and bridge PUs.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

cassius987 wrote:It's kind of a "P-rick" sound... :lol:
Better watch out, I think that's been copyrighted . . . :mrgreen:

Nice pic, by the way!
deblase4001

Post by deblase4001 »

Great shot - nice bass!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

COOL photo (iphone4?) i need to get one of those lenses....oh, and COOL BASS!! Love the 3 toasters, and using the pickups the way you described kind of gets you into the 4002 tonal area,i would think. i really like the sleeker look of the classic design 4001 with no horseshoe and the hipshot bridge.
edit-hmm well i see the rear pickup isn't actually as far back as i thought at first...still,a very neato bass!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

jps wrote:You should make the middle PU a slider to cover the whole gamut in between the neck and bridge PUs.
what do you think it is ??? a gibson grabber !!! :lol: btw jeff...where's that fantasy rendition of the jetglo fl 4002 with the white pickguard ???
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:
jps wrote:You should make the middle PU a slider to cover the whole gamut in between the neck and bridge PUs.
what do you think it is ??? a gibson grabber !!! :lol: btw jeff...where's that fantasy rendition of the jetglo fl 4002 with the white pickguard ???
Rickengrabber! :mrgreen:

Maybe Joshua can take care of the fantasy 4002, that would be cool. 8)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

woodyng wrote:COOL photo (iphone4?) i need to get one of those lenses....oh, and COOL BASS!! Love the 3 toasters, and using the pickups the way you described kind of gets you into the 4002 tonal area,i would think. i really like the sleeker look of the classic design 4001 with no horseshoe and the hipshot bridge.
edit-hmm well i see the rear pickup isn't actually as far back as i thought at first...still,a very neato bass!
Yeah, that was taken with a 4S. My 3GS can't hold a candle to it! My wife got the fisheye as a Christmas gift.

The mid pickup is in nearly the same spot as a 4002 "neck" pickup, but not quite. Apparently the pickup on the 4002 is about where a P pickup sits, and mine is more where a Jazz pickup would be. To get the full 4002 effect I'd have to do like Jeff said and put in a fourth pickup! Since, for me, the best pickup on a Jazz (or a 4002) is the one closer to the neck, I plan on leaving things this way for the time being... but don't tempt me guys or this bass could get even uglier, if that's possible!

I have to say, I have played many basses from the 1970s, but this one has really made me appreciate F.C. Hall's management of the factory during that decade. For all the abuse it has taken, it is a cockroach--a survivor. All the stuff that makes it a good player is in as good of shape as anything I've played. The neck is impossible to beat if you like skinny--if there was any less wood I'd be playing a No. 2 pencil. In spite of that the truss rods barely need any tension for the neck to be flat with medium rounds. Of course I did have to countersink the Hipshot because of the neck angle, but the guy before me removed a bucketload of wood from the neck joint, so I'm going to put the blame on him.

When Scott Pope played this bass, he said it was quite similar to his old 4001 that he sold when it needed fretwork and no one could do it for him. If that's the case I'm really going to have to acquire some more basses from this period whenever I have the means to do so. It's something about the various details that really come together and do something special for me.
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Very cool effect, it a physical attachment to the phone? I'll have to look for it 8)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

the iPhones tend to live up to their hype,each new model gets exponentially better than the last. we have been getting them since they came out,and we upgrade when new ones come out,because you can sell the previous ones on ebay for more than the original cost....the camera and recording devices in the new ones are pretty awesome. i usually record band practices on mine,so i can review new songs/changes,etc.
re the 70's basses, i think those 3 piece necks were a big part of what makes them so special.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

T.A.R. wrote:Very cool effect, it a physical attachment to the phone? I'll have to look for it 8)
Yeah some kind of weird magnetic attachment my cousin got for my wife last Christmas. "Jelly Lens" I think.

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”