New Rick, Old Camera, Cloudy Day

Capturing Guitar images
Tubescreamer

New Rick, Old Camera, Cloudy Day

Post by Tubescreamer »

Rickenbackers sure look good, don't they?
Attachments
DSCF0399cropsmall.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: New Rick, Old Camera, Cloudy Day

Post by jps »

We need more technical info, please! What camera, lens, film (if any), etc. 8)
Tubescreamer

Post by Tubescreamer »

Okay, I used my Fujifilm Finepix S3 Pro digital SLR with a Tamron 28-105mm 2.8 zoom. The ISO was set at 400, and I used an 18% gray card to set the white balance and exposure of f/8 at 1/250th of a second under a perfectly overcast afternoon sky. The camera was mounted on a tripod and the lens was zoomed to its maximum focal length. I cannot take credit for the beauty of the subject, somebody else took care of that long ago.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Tubescreamer wrote:Okay, I used my Fujifilm Finepix S3 Pro digital SLR with a Tamron 28-105mm 2.8 zoom. The ISO was set at 400, and I used an 18% gray card to set the white balance and exposure of f/8 at 1/250th of a second under a perfectly overcast afternoon sky. The camera was mounted on a tripod and the lens was zoomed to its maximum focal length. I cannot take credit for the beauty of the subject, somebody else took care of that long ago.
8) Now, this is photography talk! 8) :mrgreen:

Nice use of limited depth of field to pop the guitar out from the relatively busy background. The wonderful, soft light let's us dig in and see what is in the shadows. I am a fan of such natural light, even so much as to wait till sunset, or even getting up before dawn :shock: , to do some photography, in what John Sexton calls Quiet Light.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Sexy guitar!
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Congrats, great guitar, Dave! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

BTW, I don't consider the S3 "old", maybe by digital camera standards, but not by "camera" standards. 8)

I used to own and regularly use mid 1950's cameras (Linhof Technika III and Rollei 3.5E), now those could be called old cameras. :wink:
Tubescreamer

Post by Tubescreamer »

Camera technology has been growing in such leaps and bounds lately, a camera like mine seems old and obsolete already. One of the age-old obstacles in photography has always been film speed. The incredibly high ISOs on the latest models have made many shots possible that were only dreamed of not long ago. There are countless other advances, but the increase in ISO seems most significant to me. I'd really like the new Nikon D800, but I have a guitar to pay off.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yeah, the march of progress sure is great, for the manufacturers and marketing end of things! :evil:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dave, I hate to ask what a Nikon D800 is going to cost after your guitar comment. :shock: For those of us on a tight camera budget do you have any recommendations?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tubescreamer

Post by Tubescreamer »

I haven't been in the camera business for a couple of years so I don't really know all that's available right now. The reason I'm looking toward the D800 is because all of my lenses and flashes are Nikon based accessories and I don't want to start over with a new brand. (Fuji's pro cameras were built on a Nikon platform) There are many other reasons why I covet the D800, but you can take great photos with any brand of camera if you aren't already locked in to a system.

A $100-range pocket camera is capable of quality images, if the conditions are optimal. I was at a KISS show a couple of years ago and ended up closer to the stage than I expected. I didn't go there expecting to get any good photos, but my pocket camera is always with me anyway. I decided to try a few shots for a couple of songs, and then enjoy the rest of the show. Concerts are usually very difficult situations because the follow spots are way brighter than the rest of the stage lights. A pro I was talking to told me that KISS's light technician is a photographer, so the scenes are pretty well-balanced. Banning photos at a concert is a thing of the past, so maybe they decided that if you can't stop the people from taking photos, you can at least give them something worth shooting so you don't have a billion ****** photos floating around the internet. I got a lot of good photos in a short period of time, and quite a few not so good ones too, but this just shows that a point-and-shoot camera can make a quality image. I have no idea what the technical particulars are on this shot, but I used a Canon and I did blow it up to a 24x30 print that hangs on my wall.
Attachments
KISS-2010small.jpg

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”