Tripod Recommendations?

Capturing Guitar images
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Tripod Recommendations?

Post by sloop_john_b »

My sister thoughtfully got me a gift certificate to Adorama for Christmas and I'd like to use it on a tripod (which I don't have).

I realize that these are priced all over the place, but I must stay on the lower end of the spectrum - $150 at MOST.

What should I look for? What should I stay away from?

I'll be using it with my Canon T3 to take photos of guitars and other such still life, and occasionally to have someone take video of my band.

Thanks!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Tripod Recommendations?

Post by jps »

Look no further than Manfrotto; Gitzo would be nice but these days they are too pricey. Keep in mind that the legs and heads usually sell separately as it is a modular tripod system. Also keep in mind how you may use it as maximum height can end up being too short depending on the terrain/steps, etc. you may phootograph under (over, actually :wink: ). I have a Gitzo that, in combination with it's two section center column and head on it, can get up to about 78" on level ground; I was doing some photography at Bridalveil Creek in Yosemite Valley and where I was set up on a granite rock above the creek, by the time I had the tripod set where I needed it (fully extended) the camera was about chest high on me!

Being able to get the tripod nice and low to the ground is also a useful feature, with legs that can spread out or reversing the center column so it extends downwards below the yoke of the tripod. Here is a head I used to have back in the '80s that is really cool as you can flip the camera upside down on it or when the column is hanging downwards can put the camera back in an upright position for familiarity:

http://www.manfrotto.com/3d-junior-camera-head
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Tripod Recommendations?

Post by cjj »

I was going to suggest the same, more or less. I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021PRO tripod with a 3029 head that I've been knocking about for 25 years or so. It's seemingly indestructible, easy to adjust/set up and folds down to 25.6 inches. That one is no longer made, looks like the replacement is the Manfrotto 055XPROB.

But, it looks like they go for around $150 just for the tripod, head is extra, which kind of blows your budget right there. Here's a decent link (from B&H) that has a lot of different Bogen (which I think are now all Monfrotto) tripod info:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/c ... ripods.htm

It gives you some idea of what sort of things are available.

I'd look for something that has quick release locks of some sort (mine has flip levers, 1/4 turn and it's loose/tight, and locks completely securely). Look at the weight rating and get one that will hold whatever you think you'll ever need (my 3021 is rated for 13.3 lbs and that's plenty even for some of the big lenses I have, no need to get a monster that holds 50 lbs). Definitely go to the store and try a few out to see how they feel, sturdiness, ease of setup/take down, size when folded down, weight (mine's about 5lbs, which is fine, but if you're packing it around all day, even that can get heavy, but less weight usually means less sturdy too), etc.

Think about what you really want to use it for too. A smaller light weight one my be fine for a lot of uses. Also, these days, with auto-ISO and vibration reduction lenses, there are a lot of pictures that can be taken free hand that used to require a tripod (low light for example, you don't need 3 sec exposures a lot of times now). I've got a cheapo, small light triopd (no idea what brand, I think I got it at a garage sale for a few bucks) that I used to take back packing. It's no where near as sturdy as the Bogen and no good for big lenses, but weight less than a pound, folds up to about 8 inches, and doesn't blow the backpack weight budget/space. It can get the job done though, but not for everything by any means...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”