Are we supposed to speak native?

Reports from Norway
lars
RRF Consultant

Are we supposed to speak native?

Post by lars »

I've noticed that some of the norwegian members tend to use the "local language" (norwegian) in the Norwegian chapter. Even admin replies in perfect norwegian. http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/view ... a&start=15
Is it Ok or should we keep it in english?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Are we supposed to speak native?

Post by jps »

It does make it a bit hard for us Yanks to read and understand, but I suppose that would ultimately be up to Peter to decide. :wink:
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

I don't speak a word of Norwegian, and so would be unable to reply to any posts (same as most of the other forum members) however I think it's great if the Norwegian forumites get a chance to post in thier own language. I doubt anyone here would be rude enough to try to stop you guys from doing that...

On the forum, I tend to post in Australian English, but occassionally I resort to American English if I know people won't have a clue what I'm talking about. I would however be fairly offended if someone started telling me what language I should speak. A similar topic came up last week in regard to eBay listings, when a native English speaker stated that sellers should learn to write in English. That post got a great dressing down, from a non-native English speaker, who rightfully replied that this attitude is very narrow minded, and probably offensive to about 4.5 billion people who don't speak English as their first language!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

bails wrote:On the forum, I tend to post in Australian English, but occassionally I resort to American English if I know people won't have a clue what I'm talking about.
What makes you think we know what you're talking about anyway?
:wink: Just kidding...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Hmmm, where's my Norge-English dictionary?... they might start flaming :lol:

I say go for it, guys. If there's anything of non-local interest you'll clue us in, I'm sure.
All I wanna do is rock!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

No worries....... just as long as they give us a translation on the 'naughty' words!! :lol:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Hei folkens,
Jeg kan snakke norsk selv, men ikke så bra ...

Jeg tror at å snakke engelsk ville være hyggeligere etter hvert som flere personer vil være i stand til å delta i samtalen.

(not really, b.t.w...)
So long and thanks for all the fish!
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

I personally enjoy the Norwegian dialogue. It allows me to practice my Norwegian reading skills with something else besides Tommy og tiggern.
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

Wow!
Peter speaks norwegian, and now Gil and tmossman!

Ok, so let's say norwegian is ok for discussing local and personal matter ("didn't I see you at that consert?").
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

tmossman wrote:I personally enjoy the Norwegian dialogue. It allows me to practice my Norwegian reading skills with something else besides Tommy og tiggern.
Lol! Tommy og tigern is Calvin and Hobbes in Norway! But be careful; tiggern = the beggar, tigern = the tiger! :D
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

I don't really speak Norwegian, google translate does ;)
So long and thanks for all the fish!
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

Not bad, Google!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I only know a couple of phrases in Norwegian: It's a little bit like Swedish, I think.

hei!

takk deg.

Det er kald i dag.

farvel!

Jeg elsker deg.

:D (this smile translates to any language)
All I wanna do is rock!
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

kiramdear wrote:I only know a couple of phrases in Norwegian: It's a little bit like Swedish, I think.

hei!

takk deg.

Det er kald i dag.

farvel!

Jeg elsker deg.

:D (this smile translates to any language)

Norwegian is more like danish actually, but close to swedish as well. "Takk deg" would be a direct translation of "Thank you". But we would just say "Takk".

"Jeg elsker deg" is spot on! Jeg elsker deg også!
tore-trang

Post by tore-trang »

lars wrote:
tmossman wrote:I personally enjoy the Norwegian dialogue. It allows me to practice my Norwegian reading skills with something else besides Tommy og tiggern.
Lol! Tommy og tigern is Calvin and Hobbes in Norway! But be careful; tiggern = the beggar, tigern = the tiger! :D

hehehe Lars isn`t it TigerEn. ;) You wrote dialect now hehe lol

somtime it is hard to express ourselves, but at the other hand we will get better in English...The English language have a lot of words from Norway cause of the Viking age. Bag, ski, slalom, sky, veichle (wagon with wheels), grim, just to name a few, but many of these words have we been taking back from you and they are preferd in the Norwegian language as "lending-words" since we say them as you say, and not like the vikings did. Baggi(Viking), Bag(english) and Bag (norwegian)(can say Veske, taske if you like that)

Maybe we can use both language here..?
74 4001 JG
77 4001 BG

There is nothing right in my left brain and nothing left in my right brain

Return to “Norwegian Chapter: by Lars Nygaard”