What do you have? And what made you buy it?

Reports from the United Kingdom
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

What do you have? And what made you buy it?

Post by leftyguitars »

In 1969 at the age of 16 I was lucky enough to be invited to see a 'new' band, who had been tipped for stardom, play at a local night club. The club owner was a good friend of my sisters husband so I got to watch from the stage side. When the bass player took his bass from its case I instantly fell in love with the shape of what I saw, it was so ... well, so 'sexy'!

I talked with 'Chris' the bass player before the first set started to ask about it and he let me have a little unplugged play on it. The band then did their first set and I was blown away with the trebly 'lead guitar' sound, I'd never heard a bass like it! That was it, I was in love. Nearly 40 years on and I am still in love with the shape and the sound of the Rickenbacker bass.
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Re: What do you have? And what made you buy it?

Post by leftybass »

Interesting story, Pete.

I too was blown away by Chris's sound, long before I even had an interest in the Rickenbacker Bass or knew what it looked like.

My sister had a copy of 'Fragile' in her record collection and I couldn't have been more than about 8 years old.....the record was new at the time.

That stayed with me until I took interest in playing bass at 13 and had my first Rick 4001 in 1980. Still got it, too..!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ag3BDFsQR84&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ag3BDFsQR84&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

9 FEB 64: I was a seven-year old with my nose glued to the tube, about to learn the meaning of life. For years I made drawings of the Beatles and their guitars till I learned to play their songs, and in 1982 I got my 320. Still love the moptops and still have my 320; about to install an accent TP for the "Miami" look.
My 4001... Paul, Chris, others gave me my first look and listen at a real bass.
All I wanna do is rock!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

leftyguitars wrote:What do you have? And what made you buy it?
You know what I have and you also know what I want! :lol:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
scotty

Post by scotty »

:lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

wmthor wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

winston wrote:
wmthor wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Are we just talking Ricks here, or everything we own with strings? I'll keep it to Ricks:

3 360 WBs; (AZ Blue, MG, and TUR)I bought them because I think they are the best looking Rickenbacker semi hollowbody other than the 381, and less bulky. I learned to play on my AZ Blue WB. the MG is not my favorite finish, but the price was right, and it's a WB(!). The TUR is a recent purchase from Jdog, and gorgeous example. They're the iconic Ric model IMHO, and one of the only two RIC guitar models I'm really interested in, aside from the Capri and the F models. They're really comfortable to play, and I love the sound. To my mind, they're the perfect Rickenbacker hollowbody model.

2 381s in Birds' Eye Maple(a six and a 12): I thought the 360 WB was my favorite until I saw an original 381, minus strings in a glass case at the RIC museum room in `84. I thought it was the coolest Rick I'd ever seen, and was a bit disappointed to find out it was out of production. When I saw one on on the cover of the RIc catalogue in 1990 (yes, I know they were reintroduced in `88), my jaw dropped and my eyes almost popped out of my head; I ordered one right away. At the time, RIC had sales reps, and I was friends with the one for the music store I worked at part time; when the batch of 381s that I'd ordered my guitar from was completed, he went though all of them and made sure I had one with a very nice, highly figured birds' eye grain. I was ecstatic when I opened the case, as I stil am each time I open it to this day. Three years ago, I decided that I really wanted a 381/6, so I could play one of my favorite models on more songs than the 12 afforded me a chance to. I found one on E Bay at a good price, with a similarly, nice, highly figured BE maple grain, and to top it off, an Accent tailpiece mounted, in addition to the "R" tailpiece that came with the guitar. I lucked out and won the guitar on my initial bid; I guess no one else wanted a 381 with an Accent that week, and didn't read the fine print that mentioned that the guitar still had it's "R" tailpiece. It's a great playing and sounding guitar, and when matched with the 12, is half of a pair of gorgeous "bookend" 381s. :D
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

It doesn't have to be just Rickenbackers, in fact it doesn't have to be just guitars or basses as long as it is of interest and can be played, listened to or drunk. :D
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I've got Ricks because they're my favorites, and everything else just in case I need "that sound" - A Tele, a Strat, a 335 with Duncan PAF's, a lap steel, etc.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Rickenbackers were definitely my first choice of both bass and guitar when I began my life as a player; I bought a JG 4001 within a few months of starting to play bass. It was light, comfortable to wear, a dream to play, and had an amzing bass tone. I ordered my first Rickenbacker guitar, an AZ Blue WB before I knew how to play. they're definitetly some of the coolest guitars around, and the way they're made and where they're made is icing on the cake. the WBs are nice, light guitars, with a great, speedy neck, also a dream to play, and yes, I play lead with them. I love them to death, and I think they're definitely the most unique looking brand around, which makes them the coolest, IMHO. That being said I have some non-Rick favorites; My Rickenbackers are thoroughbred guitars, and have their quirks, like everything else. I was first attracted to the other guitars I have because I thought they looked interesting, liked the sound I heard come out of them in the hands of others, and upon trying them out, found that they played and sounded great as well. They do some things that my Ricks don't:

Gretsches:

1965 Tennessean in Walnut finish-my first Gretsch-initially wanted a 6120, but balked at the price, and was attracted to the slimmer body style; it's a great playing guitar that looks and sounds great. though I kinda wish I'd bought a red one.

1953 Electromatic Corvette-bought it because the price was right-rarely play it, and I'm not all that crazy about the tobacco sunburst finish (unexciting, old fashioned), but it plays nicely and it has a De Armond pickup in it.

`57 Gretsch Silver Jet reissue-I had wanted one of these ever since the first time I saw Billy Zoom play one in X. When Gretsch reissued the small peghead, De Armond equipped, period correct looking Silver Jet with a Bigsby, I jumped at the chance to buy one-it's one of the best guitars I've ever owned in every way, and has served me well for ten years at countless gigs. One of my favorite guitars; it practically plays itself, is trusty, reliable, and one of the most low maintenance guitars I own. The tone is amazing; a lot of folks debate the relative merits of the original vs. reissue De Armond pickups, but I really don't care; the pickups sound great in mine, and I couldn't be happier with them!

`55 Gretsch Duo Jet reissue; my second favorite Jet model (I tend to like flashy-looking finishes, so it takes second place to the Silver Jet); I love Cliff Gallup's style, and the early George Harrison Beatles look-he had one, though of a slightly later vintage: I like it because it's a really cool replica of a 1955 Duo Jet: the body is more chambered than the Silver Jet, has square block abalone-looking pearl inlays, a similarly inlaid headstock logo, and the older style vintage Bigsby, as well as a beautiful glossy black finish contrasted by a mahogany back. Other than that, its pickups and control layout are identical to the Silver Jet, so it's great to have handy as a backup for when the silver jet breaks a string; I can just set one down, and pick the other up, without any need to adjust a single knob on anything in my rig.

`55 era Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Western model with Dynasonics, G brand, and western inlays- to me this is the ultimate 6120-a bit kitschy for some maybe, but I love the cowboy touches. Two names: Eddie Cochran, and Brian Setzer, though he playes the slightly later, Filtertron-equipped 6120s. I'd wanted one of these for a long time, and when Gretsch started making them with a realistic looking G brand again, I bought one-great looking, sounding and playing guitar-the neck is slimmer than either of my Jets, and a dream to play.

Fenders

Stratocasters: though seen by many these days as an all too typical, vanilla, plain jane, generic guitar, due no doubt to the sheer number of varieties and copies produced, the original Stratocaster itself was an amzingly innovative and radical guitar of the future, and I love the guitar in its original style, or in its reissue of that original style:

`62 USVRI "Mary Kaye" Fender Stratocaster-this is a late 80s reissue, so it's not quite as period correct as the newer USVRI Strats, but I love this guitar nonetheless. I've been playing shows with it off and on since I bought it new. I'm not much for gold hardware, but when a GC employee friend of mine showed me the guitar, all brand new and pretty, I had to have it-SOLD! I think I've used it on just about every recording I've done since I bought it, and I've put a few dings in it here and there playing it live over the years as well.

`57 USVRI Fender Stratocaster in Surf Green: I wanted a maple neck USVRI Stratocaster, and I love surf green, so I ordered one. I love the V shaped neck, the radiused fretboard, and the close attention to period correct details that this newer reissue has, plus it plays nicely, sounds great , and looks super cool! Had to have one.

Bitsa, custom made, thinline Telecaster: It has a Fender birds eye maple neck with a spaghetti logo that came out of a parts bin, two 80s era Seymour Duncan stacked Tele pickups, a Warmouth custom ordered pearloid top and black back thinline body, with rear mounted controls (routing in the back with a cover), along with a Bigsby B5 vibrato. It looks, plays ans sounds really cool, and I dreamt it up in my head, collected parts for it for years, and finally had it put together, so it's my own creation, sort of. It's one of my local luthier's favorite guitars; every time I bring it in for setup, et cetera, he sits and plays it for thirty minutes or so as we chat.

`06 Geddy Lee Jazz bass in black-though my first love in basses is the Rickenbacker 4001, and the bass I learned to really play on before switiching to guitar, I'd wanted a J-bass for some time. Our lead singer used to play a 1975 J-bass with a maple neck and block inlays and I wanted something similar. I really liked the look of the black GL J-bass, and liked the idea of a maple neck J-bass with block inlays, as well as the other advertised features of GL's signature model. I bought one, and have not been disappointed with the bass at all. I really like the way it looks, sounds, and plays. Now if I can only find my old JG 4001 somewhere out there...

Odds and sods:

1967 Vox teardrop hollowbody 12 string-I thought it was a beautiful guitar when I first saw one hanging in a shop in Anaheim. bought it, sold it, craved another, and REALLY craved another after seeing Will Sergeant from Echo and the Bunnymen play his onstage a couple of years back. found one on E Bay, won it at auction. Happy guy. Nice playing 12 string that's beautiful to look at. Plus it has a whammy bar, which sounds really cool on a 12 string.

1960-something Silvertone single pickup guitar with the amp in the case-$148 special I found in new condition sans broken handle/case strap, at the "Pack Rat Pawn" in Rapid City, South Dakota, in the early 90s while at the Sturgis, SD motorcycle rally. The price was right, and th what do you know, these guitar sound really good!! I haven't played it in about five years, because it's on indefinite loan to my eldest brother, but it's a cool novelty guitar.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Where's all the Brits???!?!?!!? :)
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

They are on their way Jason, don't rush them! :wink:
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

BRITS ARE HERE!!! DON'T PAnic!!

Ok, here's mine:
Ricks
1974 360/6 in MapleGlo
1987 610 in FireGlo
2004 360/12 in Blue Boy

Fenders
60's Reissue Classic Strat in Candy Apple Red (Mexican)
Still in Georgia at the moment, Standard Tele in...ummmm....a funny-green-colour-which-used-to-be-pacific-blue. It has been in a fire. I will tell it's story when I bring it home after Christmas and post some pics of it's poor burnt neck and body.

So that's me, oh and I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe White Lightning!!
"You can't separate Sarah from her RickenBACKers"

http://www.myspace.com/transientfew
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

.........oh and I forgot to say....

I bought the Strat as my first guitar after I had been playing two weeks and then realised my hero, Peter Buck, played Rickenbackers, so I wanted one of those. :oops:

....then I couldn't/can't stop..... :mrgreen:
"You can't separate Sarah from her RickenBACKers"

http://www.myspace.com/transientfew

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”