What do you have? And what made you buy it?

Reports from the United Kingdom
Rickygirl

Re: What do you have? And what made you buy it?

Post by Rickygirl »

.............oh and I wanted the Tele because it has a story and it was rejected. I do love guitars with a story and I like Teles

I just don't know what the stories are for my Ricks....
"You can't separate Sarah from her RickenBACKers"

http://www.myspace.com/transientfew
scotty

Post by scotty »

BTW love this UK section!!!!!!!!!!
Ok
Fender dg20 my bash around camping guitar a great bright acoustic that i got for daliy use
Epip les paul. MMnnn a stanard epip fat tones its ok
my 2nd 330 BBR my first was a FG but it and i fell out!!!!! and i sent it packing :twisted:
DB red metallic Jap tele.a brilliant tele one of the best ive played.it lay for years under my bed not being played but what a great sounding guitar.
12/Art and luthrie Canadian full sounding rich booom.
FG/12 620 blah blah blah
08 360/6 mid
ive had this and that and other etc but this is my lineup.i would like and will have next year either a 381 or a DB 360.not made up my mind yet.
what made me buy all my guitars??????????????????????????????? lust and greed! :mrgreen:

Heres a wee taste of that jap tele
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

Hi all,

I don't think I'm alone in gaining my love of Rics from Chris Squire and the music of Yes. An honourable mention must go to Geddy Lee too, although the first Ric I remember seeing (and hearing) was Roger Glover's, on Deep Purple's Machine Head album cover. Chris's sound, technique and all round musicality on his Ric are what really got me into Rics though. Of course, I found out later that he played other basses too but by then it was too late, I was hooked.

so, I've got two Rics, a wonderful 5 string and three cheapies. My first Ric is an 02 4003MG which now sports vintage control knobs, 500K CTS tone pots, a VRI Toaster routed for the 1/2 inch position, a Horseshoe which has the magnets from an 8 string lap steel pickup and a "Sergio Special" bobbin, and I've put the .0047 cap back in to get as close as possible to the classic 60s spec.

I've also changed the two .047 caps for a pair of vintage Blue Ajax caps which I know really shouldn't (technically) make any difference, except it does! I imagine it's more of a manufacturing tolerance thing but whatever, it's made my bass absolutely come alive, and it was damn good to start with.

My other Ric is an 05 4003JG which is stock except for the vintage control knobs which the previous owner had fitted.

I've also got a Trace Elliot T-Bass 5 string which has the best neck of any 5 I've played. It's really slim front to back, the middle third of it's width is completely flat on the back and the graphite reinforcement keeps it totally stable. I didn't get on with the stock J pickups so it now has Seymour Duncans, a J at the neck and MM at the bridge. I can't imagine ever wanting or needing a better 5 string bass, if it wasn't for my love of Rics this would be my number 1.

The others are cheapy's - a Tanglewood Curbow 5 string, Vintage fretless and Ibanez electroacoustic.

So that's me. I've had the pleasure of meeting Peter Levett too, I'm pleased to see you moderating the UK forum, Peter.
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

Here is a photo of Steve in action at 'Stormin the Castle' after we met last year...
Steve comp.jpg
And me on the monitor desk...
Monitor comp.jpg
By the way, the marquee is much much bigger than it appears in the photo.
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What mixer is that, Peter?
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

48 channel A & H. This year we had a 60 channel Midas. Don't know what models they were though as they were hired in.
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

leftyguitars wrote:Here is a photo of Steve in action at 'Stormin the Castle' after we met last year...
Oh yes, pre 1/2 inch rout! I had that done a couple of months later by Dave Wilson in Haltwhistle (Northumberland). I've not needed to use him for anything that needed RIC specific knowledge but he's a damn good luthier, knows his stuff and before setting up on his own he used to work at Overwater. If you ever go and see him be prepared for a lo-o-o-ong chat, he loves all things bass and guitar! :wink:

Peter, I heard this years Stormin' the Castle was rather affected by the weather, I hope it didn't spoil your weekend too much.
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

I have several guitars but the Ric 360-12 MG I bought in january 2003 changed my whole style and focus. I always loved the Beatles and the Byrds but never really played that style, instead, I was a blues-rock `hotshot `[lol] lead player.
I came to realize that dispite spending conciderable time playing acustic guitar I lacked that something that would make my playing interesting. The Rickenbacker expanded my horisons, made me learn to finger pick [ thank you Roger McGuinn ]. I was able to translate this to the acustic easely. Now I was able to play solo as well as being an all around better player. And by the way I'm have more fun. An old dog CAN learn new tricks. :D
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

This years Stormin' had to be abandoned due to the medical centre tent being flooded out. They pulled their cover so we had to call it off. Check out some of the photos...

http://www.storminthecastle.co.uk/
scotty

Post by scotty »

leftyguitars wrote:This years Stormin' had to be abandoned due to the medical centre tent being flooded out. They pulled their cover so we had to call it off. Check out some of the photos...

http://www.storminthecastle.co.uk/
Peter,explain they pulled their cover,what are you saying deliberately?
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

Due to 6 inches of rain falling in 36 hours we had up to 10 inches of sloppy mud throughout the site and all vehicles had to be towed on and off as the entrances were absolute quagmires. The medical tent was flooded out and the medical team said that they couldn't offer adequate hygienic first aid facilities in those conditions and so they would be leaving the site at 12 mid day. We are legally required to have medical cover on the site so we had no option except to close the event at 12 mid day when they left. We were prepared to keep the event running and the vast majority of the punters wanted to stay 'til the end but it wasn't to be. Read the posts on the Stormin' guestbook, 99% had a great time!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sorry to hear that, Peter. There will be another day for it, I hope. :D
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

jps wrote:Sorry to hear that, Peter. There will be another day for it, I hope. :D
There certainly will Jeff, and we have started planning it already. :D
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Brice violin bass(LH) I didn't want to take the Hofner on gigs we fly to. I gig it with my Rutles band too.
Casio keyboard Needed a cheap keyboard.
Casio keyboard Mother-in-law gave it to me.
Davison Hollowbody bass(LH) Cool hollowbody with f-hole. don't see too many lefty hollowbody basses.
Eastwood EEB-1(LH) Big Danko fan, wanted a lefty for YEARS.
Epiphone EB-O bass(LH) Had a Gibson EB-O in my younger days.
Epiphone Flying V bass Uhh...hmm..it looked cool?
Epiphone Rivoli bass I'm a big Yardbirds/Animals fan.
Epiphone SG Jr. guitar It was cheap, sounded good, and looked like Pete's.
Fender Jazz Bass(LH) Dee Murray, my bass hero, played a white Jazz(among other things), so I had to have one.
Fender Jazz Bass FSR(LH) Reminded me of another of Dee's basses, and it was a MF scratch and dent.
Fender P-Bass Special(LH) I love white basses, this one was inspired by Brian Wilson, Dee Murray(again), and John Lodge.
Fender mandolin I like playing mandolin.
First Act drum kit Needed a cheap drumkit to match my drumming ability. They actually record quite well.
Gibson EB-2 bass(Stereo) Fell in love with these when I saw The Alarm in the early 80s. got it for $200 in an Austin Pawn.
Gold Tone banjo(LH) Trying to learn to play. You know how hard it is to find a lefty banjo???
Gretsch Synchromatic BassVI(LH) 6-string bass I love 6-string basses, had several over the years. Modded to lefty.
Hamer B12S 12-string bass Tom Petersson. Bought "Heaven Tonight" and HAD to have one, I DID have two!
Hammertone electric mando-guitar Fun!
Hiwatt Theremin Beach Boys.
Hofner 500/1 V63 reissue Beatle Bass(LH) Don't care much for these but...its a living.
Ibanez ASB140 bass Big Peter Hook fan but can't afford an Eccleshall. Sounds/plays great.
Ibanez GSR200L bass(LH) Wanted a bass that was more..."Modern". My main church bass. Candy Apple Red!!
Ibanez Jazz Bass(LH) My first lefty bass, bought in '78(?), my main bass during my Punk days in the late 70s/early 80s.
Jay Turser Telecaster guitar(LH) I love Teles but I'm no guitarist, and I already had the 340, so I got a cheapy.
Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass Entwistle!
Jerry Jones Longhorn BassVI 6-string bass see Gretsch.
Jerry Jones Master electric sitar Sounds good, and is fun to play,
Kona acoustic bass guitar My wife got it for me.
Peavey Millennium BXP bass(LH) Basically its a Jazz bass in modern styling, my back-up church bass.
Phantom "Nigel Special" bass(LH) Had Phantom make me a 3-pickup bass several years ago, very unique tone.
Phantom BW Teardrop Hollowbody Bass Bill Wyman.
Rickenbacker 340 guitar(LH) Kind of a cross between my faves Pete Townshend and Paul Weller.
Rickenbacker 4001CS bass(LH) I love Chris Squire's tone. There's a kinda cool story about this bass, but I've told it often.
Rickenbacker 4001S bass(LH) Needed it for The Eggmen when we moved on to later Beatles. I love it.
Rickenbacker 4003 bass(LH) Bruce Foxton!! I use it for my Rutles band.
SX Jazz Bass(LH) Needed a Jazz for The Beatles tunes with a Jazz, looks just like McCartney's.
SX Jazz Bass-Fretless(LH) My first fretless, got a cheapy in case I couldn't hack fretless.
SX P-Bass(LH) It's black with maple 'board. Roger Waters.
SX P/J-Bass(LH) Sunburst with tort 'guard and rosewood 'board. Pink Floyd in Pompeii!
SX Scorpion Bass(LH) It was lefty and $99.
Steinberger L2 bass(Previously Owned by Dee Murray) Dee is THE reason I play bass. Its an honor to own one of his.
Yamaha electronic drums Used these for recording before I got the real thing.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Great list there Ronn!

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”