U.K Stores and Sightings

Reports from the United Kingdom
godber
Advanced Member

Re: U.K Stores and Sightings

Post by godber »

david/wales/u.k wrote:That is a very generous response Tim. I don't think I would have been as classy as that. You have been very helpful in giving me advice in the past Rob and I'm grateful for that but some of your posts where you are having a go at Tim (Sound affects) are out of order. I could give you many examples of the fantastic, courteous, helpful service that I have received when dealing with Sound Affects. I have always found the prices to be very competitive as well (Just one example..I get my Ric strings from Sound Affects - 3 packets for £14.95 -superb value) As for Tim breaking forum rules Mark.....If YOU or SOMEONE ELSE are having a go at his prices and if YOU or SOMEONE ELSE are comparing them to other competitors (erroneously in the case of the spare parts- or at least failing to see the bigger picture such as failing to combine original product cost with postage) then Tim has every right to put you right on that by giving you examples of why his prices are fair and competitive.
pm sent shouty ****.
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

Not shouting, merely emphasising. Others may use Capitals to denote shouting - I use them for emphasis. I discovered long ago that shouting gets one nowhere and doesn't validate an argument in any way. Anyway, you can't put the boot into a man and then criticise him for defending himself, whilst hiding behind forum rules when he does so. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he deals with criticism. Some respond with class and humour. Some become upset and resort to immature and foul language. If you can't take criticism yourself then don't give it. (BTW Using foul language is also against Forum rules isn't it? You would do well to take your own advice :lol:
Last edited by david/wales/u.k on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

david/wales/u.k wrote:Not shouting, merely emphasising. Others may use Capitals to denote shouting - I use them for emphasis. I discovered long ago that shouting gets one nowhere and doesn't validate an argument in any way. Anyway, you can't put the boot into a man and then criticise him for defending himself, whilst hiding behind forum rules when he does so. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he deals with criticism. Some respond with class and humour. Some become upset and resort to immature and foul language. If you can't take criticism yourself then don't give it. (BTW Using foul language is also against Forum rules isn't it? You would do well to take your own advice :lol:
Pm sent again, pompous ****.
david/wales/u.k

You have just made my point for me and this discussion (?) is at an end
Last edited by david/wales/u.k on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

david/wales/u.k wrote:My point has been made and this discussion (?) is at an end.
I have pm'd my responses and you have carried on posting here. You are incorrect, I have informed you and you carry on trolling. Not acceptable.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

David, instead of revisiting your posts and editing after the event, please, as I have advised, go back and actually read my posts. One states "stunned" and the other impassively points out forum rules. When you have done this please come back to me with your apology.

Goodnight.
david/wales/u.k

godber wrote:David, instead of revisiting your posts and editing after the event, please, as I have advised, go back and actually read my posts. One states "stunned" and the other impassively points out forum rules. When you have done this please come back to me with your apology.

Goodnight.

I tried to edit my posts as I was called a pompous t***. I thought I would try to edit them but still make my point without coming across that way. I also tried to delete them as I found the exchange between us to be very unpleasant. However, I have never been abused on a forum before and so didn't have the nouse to realise at first, that editing my posts was pointless as you had already quoted them and published them. Therefore, most of the editing was merely me restoring them from the edited version (very small differences mainly in grammar but the gist of the post most definitely staying the same ) to how they were originally written, as it would have looked stupid to have the discrepancy between the forum edited version and what you had quoted. ( my original unedited posts ) Therefore everything I wrote on the forum has been quoted by you and I completely stand by everything I said. As can be seen, I used no abusive or foul language and so have no need to apologise for anything I wrote and certainly no need to aplogise to someone who swore at me, both on the forum itself and in a PM. I don't swear at others and don't expect to be sworn at either. I am not ashamed at what I wrote and that is why I posted it on the forum, as opposed to sending nasty and abusive PM's. If that makes me pompous.....then so be it.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

OK guys, let's cool it down a bit, OK?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Pointless arguing with him CJ. He accuses me of something publicly and then claims he's the victim.

That makes him a ****:
Oxford Dictionary.
Definition of ****
noun
a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.
redamber

Post by redamber »

Oxford Dictionary.
Definition of ****
noun
Without wanting to get involved in the spat between Mark and David. I would merely point out that the dictionary definition of the word ‘****’ includes the slang term for ‘female genitalia’ (aka ‘c**t’) and in this context I think it is inappropriate for use on the RRF.

I have learnt from experience that it is never wise to post replies on the RRF after midnight (and, certainly, not after one too many glasses of red wine) - this might account for some of the vitriol in recent postings on this thread. We are all united by our common interest and appreciation of Rickenbacker guitars & basses and I think we all have a responsibility to both show moderation and to respect each others views. To quote the late Michael Winner: ‘Calm Down, dear!’

Finally, as regards the pricing policy of the UK Rickenbacker distributor and dealer network, I have a very simple philosophy. If prices are uncompetitive or (as in the case of many pre-owned instruments) a complete rip-off, I simply take my business elsewhere. For this reason, most of the Rickenbackers which I own have been bought from private individuals and/or overseas, including some imported from the US.
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

All in all very good points!

If You have a good source in the US (quite easy search the www) it is the cheapest way. For sure.

From time to time Rickenbackers have - like every hadcrafted guitar - some issues. Minor ones provided at home, bigger ones provided via the dealer.

For this a dealer needs a structure, e.g. an importer, that is able to deliver all the Rickenbacker-authorized-dealer-warranty-stuff. This importer has got prices. A dealer has to buy at these prices and needs a certain minimum of profit margin to run a Rickenbacker dealership without a minus. - Rickenbackers are not fast sellers, BTW...

I had two new guitars with bigger paint issues. A factory thing. Fortunately all this was managed by Sound Affects and Rosetti. Rickenbacker acceped the return. Amen. - New guitar, fine!

As a dealer the law expectcs You to take care for that.
So this structure helped me. Some kind of insurance - warranty!

Why did I buy in the UK? It is way cheaper than in Germany! And the EC laws gave me all the protection in warranty cases.

Inside Europe there is no cheaper dealer than all around in the UK.

For lower prices You always loose the warranty. Or You're very tricky, or have the right passport, or have the right relations in the US. Lucky guy, enjoy!

For me a Rickenbacker is an instrument with a warrnty for pure playing pleasure. This has got a price. The UK one.
redamber

Post by redamber »

Hotzenplotz wrote:All in all very good points!

If You have a good source in the US (quite easy search the www) it is the cheapest way. For sure.

From time to time Rickenbackers have - like every hadcrafted guitar - some issues. Minor ones provided at home, bigger ones provided via the dealer.

As a dealer the law expectcs You to take care for that.
So this structure helped me. Some kind of insurance - warranty!

Inside Europe there is no cheaper dealer than all around in the UK.

For me a Rickenbacker is an instrument with a warrnty for pure playing pleasure. This has got a price. The UK one.
Thanks Sascha

I accept the points you make, but would just make four observations in reply:

Firstly, in my experience the Rickenbacker quality control over instruments leaving the factory is of such a high standard that one can generally disregard the warranty issue.

Secondly, I can assure you that I am not 'tricky', though I do have the benefit of having relatives in the US who can take delivery of guitars for me, pending repatriation to the EU. This has given me access to Rics (new and used) at prices which are significantly lower than in Europe – though I have also bought Rics in Ireland, France, Germany and Holland at prices which are much less than the UK.

Next, I would highlight what I believe to be the real crux of the pricing problem. If I go and purchase a new Mercedes car, I do so knowing that it is a new model with the latest design/colour, passenger & technical amenities and all other gizmos. I am prepared to accept that the value of the car when I drive it home will have dropped by about 20% (it is now a ‘used’ Mercedes), because my car is this year’s model and has features that few others will have. However, consider what happens if I decide to buy (say) a new 2013 Rickenbacker 660/6. The ‘new’ prices in the UK range from £1900 - £2200, depending upon dealer. However, once I have bought my 660/6 and take it home, it is then ‘pre-owned’ and only worth about £1,400. However, unlike my Mercedes, my 2013 model 660/6 is completely indistinguishable from the earlier 2012 or 2011 model 660/6 Rics - so, in other words, I would have been better to buy a mint ‘pre-owned’ recent 660/6 and avoid the huge loss on buying a new one. When I am playing my Ric 660/6 in my band or (more likely) strumming it in my bedroom, it really doesn’t matter whether it is a new or nearly-new model – no-one gives a toss! So why on earth would I buy a new 2013 model 660/6 from a dealer, when there is a plentiful supply of mint one or two year-old 660/6s available on eBay, Gumtree, Craigslist, etc at about two-thirds the price?

Finally, I could say a lot about the prices being asked for used/pre-owned Rickenbackers for sale in the UK, but perhaps it is best that I just refer you to my comments a few days ago on another RRF thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=409079 – yet another example of outrageous prices being asked by a UK retail outlet.
david/wales/u.k

There are some good buys on ebay-gumtree etc for sure but some of the prices being asked by private sellers are ridiculous!!...I put them on my watchlist sometimes just to see if someone would be silly/naive enough to buy them. For example, on Ebay at the moment there is a 2007 330/6 JG for £800- that is a reasonable and decent price but there is a scratched and chipped, generally beaten up looking 1993 330/6 FG and they are asking for £1399..basically the same price as a brand new one. They have got a best offer option but in my experience whenever I've put in a best offer for anything, even when it's near the original price, it always seems to get rejected!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

redamber wrote:
Oxford Dictionary.
Definition of ****
noun
Without wanting to get involved in the spat between Mark and David. I would merely point out that the dictionary definition of the word ‘****’ includes the slang term for ‘female genitalia’ (aka ‘c**t’) and in this context I think it is inappropriate for use on the RRF.

I have learnt from experience that it is never wise to post replies on the RRF after midnight (and, certainly, not after one too many glasses of red wine) - this might account for some of the vitriol in recent postings on this thread. We are all united by our common interest and appreciation of Rickenbacker guitars & basses and I think we all have a responsibility to both show moderation and to respect each others views. To quote the late Michael Winner: ‘Calm Down, dear!’

Finally, as regards the pricing policy of the UK Rickenbacker distributor and dealer network, I have a very simple philosophy. If prices are uncompetitive or (as in the case of many pre-owned instruments) a complete rip-off, I simply take my business elsewhere. For this reason, most of the Rickenbackers which I own have been bought from private individuals and/or overseas, including some imported from the US.
For my part, I do not drink James, red wine or otherwise. The meaning of words do change over time; my use has been proper and consistent - take it as you will, it is defined. I was defending an ill informed accusation and was calm enough to pm my responses. Completely agree with your assessment of pricing and follow exactly the same sensible principals.

PS Michael Winner was a also ****. :wink:

Edit: PPS in your last post you use the phrase...
...no-one gives a toss...

I am well aware the phrase normally refers to the nonchalance associated with a coin toss, however, a toss also means to wank. Is that appropriate for the forum? :lol:
redamber

Post by redamber »

godber wrote: For my part, I do not drink James, red wine or otherwise. The meaning of words do change over time; my use has been proper and consistent - take it as you will, it is defined. I was defending an ill informed accusation and was calm enough to pm my responses. Completely agree with your assessment of pricing and follow exactly the same sensible principals.

PS Michael Winner was a also ****. :wink:
Mark, you make a fair point about how the meaning of words can differ depending upon the circumstances – though I think the 'principals' you and I are following should be ‘principles’. :smile:

Anyway, having broken my own rule of not posting on the RRF after midnight and after having had a few toots, I’ve now had my rant for the Mayday week-end and will shut up. Occasionally, it is good to get things off one’s chest (OMG, another word whose meaning can be misconstrued)!

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”