Sound Affects.

Reports from the United Kingdom
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Re: Sound Affects.

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

Hotzenplotz wrote:
johnhall wrote:We're more than mystified, especially when you consider the last 370/12 Mid was made on April 13, 2010.
Well, the serial number of this guitar is 10118xx. The first given back guitar also started with 10118xx. The 11th week of 2011 started April, 14.
!?!
You got it backwards. Both guitars start with "1011" which means the 11th week of 2010. If it were built in 11th week of 2011, it would be "1111". The majority of the 1011 370/12 MIDs were actually built at the end of March 2010. The last two were built in April 2010, the last being completed on the 13th of that month. This guitar has been out there for about a year and a half.

As for the defect, I assure you it did not leave our factory this way. When we do see buffthroughs, they do not go all the way down to the wood like that. Moreover, MID is easily the most difficult color to "mask" a defect on. There is black paint underneath the blue, any alleged paint or marker touchup should have been patently obvious to anybody inspecting it as the blue touchup would not match at all. When we do repair the MID finish, we sand and respray the black first, so the MID color looks uniform.

I'm also puzzled how this manifested itself so readily, with just a simple polish. So I guess the guitar was just laying around for a year, it wasn't cleaned off prior to shipping?

Also, whenever a problem like this arises, I am the one that decides what to do with it, and I would never send a guitar out with such a colossal defect when I know full well that I will hear about it later in some form or another. This is especially true if it is a 370/12, since it seems that the folks that have those on backorder are generally more likely to take part in forums like this.

Personally, I'm thinking there is more to the story here as it relates to this particular guitar.
SoundAffectsMusic

Post by SoundAffectsMusic »

Thanks John and Ben for your replies. I am still puzzled though. Why would someone wherever, whenever cover over such a blemish with clear lacquer over untreated wood and then blow blue over the top? Surely it would be much easier to have matched the blue and then lacquer over. I can see its very hard for you guys to understand without seeing the guitar. If Rosetti are agreeable, would you be prepared to take a look at the guitar if we can get it back to you? I'm not asking for a any recompense at all, as I am happy to have the guitar in my store. I'm just professionally curious - but I would value your opinion and I can then present it for sale described correctly? Its still a fine guitar, and after all it now has some history....

Happy to take this conversation offline if you think this is not the appropriate forum to pursue this.

Regards Tim

ps - you are of course correct in saying this was one of the last ones made. Rosetti did have stock for a while though as not all that were shipped to the UK were pre-ordered by customers. We did have free stock for a while ourselves until all were eventually sold.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

My guess is that there was something else afflicting that area of the guitar, and some time between April 2010 and April 2011, a repair was attempted that resulted in the problem we see now. This color was a custom color developed by a guy here in Southern California that makes coatings for hi-tech industries like motorcycles and mobile phones, so the color would not have easily been matched (not to mention, it is a 2k paint that is especially formulated to meet the specific air quality regs that we have). Also, if you do not spray black under the blue, the blue on top will be noticeably lighter. Combine those factors, and the possibility of recreating the right color to appropriately fix this are virtually nil.

Perhaps the "repair" was performed, failed, and ultimately they just decided to mask the problem with a crude touchup?

As for the rest of your post, I'll leave that to a higher authority!
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Oooops! I really took the wrong calendar... I am sorry for that.

I saw the guitar. I bought it once a time ago. - And I agree with Tim.
You should have a look at the guitar. It is not explainable.

And right, under the clear coat it is blue and under the blue it is black. But it is covered by clear coat. That coat is one with the rest of the guitar. Same surface like the rest of the guitar.
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Just a quick update on this one.

I purchased this very guitar yesterday. Tim at Sound Affects was very helpful and told me the full ..err.. interesting history of this guitar, even without prompting (although I had already read this thread).

I wasn't really after a 370 but I fell in love with the feel and sound. It's my first Ric and I'm particularly impressed with the playability, despite reading everywhere about how difficult it is to play Rickenbacker 12 strings! It really seemed to have something special that I didn't quite get from the 330s, although the incredible setup may have been something to do with my enjoyment.

Obviously I've not paid full price because of the problem. It's still a big investment for me and represents a lot of saving up. Given the history, I suppose it's still not exactly a sensible investment but I hope to keep it (I cant see myself ever needing another electric 12!). Anyway, it's my first Ric and I'm very proud of it. At least it's a true one-off and I could tell mine anywhere, just in case I ever have to quickly pick it out of a lineup of midnight blue 370-12s!
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Congratulations! Good to know that the guitar finally made its way home.

And it is in this forum!

Enjoy it!

And as I mentioned before, Tim is a good guy to talk to (including about prices)!
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Many thanks Sascha

I suppose I have mixed feelings about posting but decided to go ahead anyway. I don't want to re-open the "how did it happen" debate, I just wanted to share my delight at finally getting a Rickenbacker.

I thought Tim was a great ambassador for the brand (he's a big fan) and his shop is great. There aren't many places like that left in the UK due to the dominance of the big, corporate chains. He's part-exchange friendly and was happy to spend a couple of hours chatting about guitars and letting me try lots of instruments. I was very impressed with Sound Affects.

Thanks again.

PS: "The Robber Hozenplotz" was one of my favourite books as a child!
Last edited by Pumpkinhead on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Congrats Brendan 8)
8mileshigher

Sound Affects.

Post by 8mileshigher »

Brendan, Congrats on the acquisition 8) and glad to hear a happy ending to this story ! :D
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Pumpkinhead wrote:Many thanks Sascha

I suppose I have mixed feelings about posting but decided to go ahead anyway. I don't want to re-open the "how did it happen" debate, I just wanted to share my delight at finally getting a Rickenbacker.

I thought Tim was a great ambassador for the brand (he's a big fan) and his shop is great. There aren't many places like that left in the UK due to the dominance of the big, corporate chains. He's part-exchange friendly and was happy to spend a couple of hours chatting about guitars and letting me try lots of instruments. I was very impressed with Sound Affects.

Thanks again.

PS: "The Robber Hozenplotz" was one of my favourite books as a child!
Fine!

I do not want to re-open the "how did it happen"-story again. That is not important.
It is important that things went well for all. Now You have got a very, very fine guitar!!! Self picked in a store!
- I had to use the internet-way and a parcel service. :(
I love to roam around in a shop the way You described. It is an innner celebration.

Tim is great, yes! The next time I am in the UK I want to visit him. We just now each other from a few good phone calls until jet.

The Robber Hotzenplotz is a good story, indeed. I had also a few vinyls of it as a child.
And I thought it could be a good name for a German guy writing in an anglophone forum. "Hotzenplotz" is the sound people combine with when they hear spoken German. A joke, just kidding. Like "Streichholzschächtelchen" (what means " very small matchbox") - it is an existing word! (But please, people, don't break Your tongues!!!)
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Congratulations Brendan, and welcome to the crazy house. 8)
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

The next step is a RAS infection... :wink:
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Thank you all.

It's getting a bit surreal here already.

I've no chance of ever pronouncing "Streichholzschächtelchen" correctly.
Hopefully I wont ever need to, as I've not smoked for many years.
If I decide to start again, and find myself in Germany, I'll just buy "ein Zippo" :D
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Well, it is the most difficult in our language.

And we have many Germans here that are not able to pronounce it correctly, too. But by some of them that is maybe a question of mind and not the tongue. Or it depends from the area they are from. Sometimes both...
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Took a photo in the garden yesterday. I'm not sure why as I suppose they're all the same really, but what the heck:

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”