Sound Affects.

Reports from the United Kingdom
godber
Advanced Member

Re: Sound Affects.

Post by godber »

Nice King pot and nice Rickenbacker! Congrats Brendan.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Did someone mention pot? :P
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

FIREGLO67 wrote:Did someone mention pot? :P
I think Graham did in another thread, somewhere.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Pumpkinhead wrote:Took a photo in the garden yesterday. I'm not sure why as I suppose they're all the same really, but what the heck:

Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun . . .

Here comes the sun!

Who's got the Streichholzschächtelchen?

Goo goo g'joob!
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

libratune wrote:
Pumpkinhead wrote:Took a photo in the garden yesterday. I'm not sure why as I suppose they're all the same really, but what the heck:

Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun . . .

Here comes the sun!

Who's got the Streichholzschächtelchen?

Goo goo g'joob!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

:wink: :lol:
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Sascha -- nice avatar... is that AZ too?
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

No, it is my 330/6 in MID. Cool, same style, seems to be twins in the same photo studio! - But the picture is not actual.
Now there is a golden TRC mounted.
- Hmm, I have to change the avatar. Thank You!
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Further update and a rather embarrassing one :(

I've decided to sell the guitar. Much though I love the sound and playability, in the few days I've owned it, I've just regretted not saving up the extra for a new, unblemished 660 or 360 12 string.

I thought I'd be happy with it but I know I've made a mistake (waking up at 4am worrying for the last few nights is a reasonable indicator that I can't live with it!) . It's all very stupid of me but this is more than I've ever paid for a guitar before and I wanted it to be right. I know it was reduced in price but I didn't really want, or need, a 370 - and the third pickup is totally surplus to my needs. In addition, I realise I prefer the "big three" finishes (MG, JG, FG) rather than the blue.

I know I'll lose a fortune on the sale and I'd be unlikely to afford that dream guitar for a long time but I can't really live with it, knowing how much it cost and what I could have had for not much more.

All rather pathetic really. You'd think that at my age, you'd have the sense to know what you want. I feel like a complete fool!
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Looks like Brendan has done a part ex on this one. :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker- ... 2c5ef47ad8

I have a feeling this guitar may be cursed! :shock:

Brendan, I sincerely hope that you are happy with the Rickenbacker that you now have. Let us see the 660/12! :)
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Rob. Yes I have traded it back and I still feel utterly stupid and foolish!

After saving up for a long time, I bought the 370 rather impulsively. I had actually gone into Sound Affects to try out a somewhat cheaper 12 string electric but wanted to try out "the real deal" just in case. There was no hard sell, I just got to spend a great afternoon comparing several Rics and chatting in a friendly environment (almost impossible here in the UK!). Needless to say, I ended up wanting the real deal!

The next few days revealed that I wasn't 100% happy taking such a quick decision. Despite the 370 sounding and feeling great, my fickle, shallow nature meant that I found the finish flaw started irritating me. I felt like I was in an Edgar Allen Poe story and ended up obsessed with it! I couldn't live with knowing that I could have bought something like the pristine 660 for not much more.

My thanks, once again, to Tim, who helped out in letting me trade back and pay the extra for 660/12 without too horrific a loss (just enough to remind me not to be so impulsive again!).

I'm loving the 660. Still smarting over my stupidity though - I've ended up paying more money than I needed to for it and made a fool of myself in a very public way too. Hopefully the sting will recede a little over the coming weeks. No pics yet as I've spent the whole day shopping with the wife as punishment for driving her mad with my worrying about the 370!

Anyway, sorry for all this to everyone here, although lovers of bleak comedies may have found it vaguely amusing. Feel free to delete my account/posts on the grounds of gross idiocy. Either than or make them a sticky to warn others not to be so stupid!

Regards
Brendan
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Don't be so hard on yourself Brendan!
Unfortunately, just about every authorised Rickenbacker dealer here in the UK charges well over the odds for new Ric guitars (and some condiderably more than others :evil: ), so if you decide to take the plunge with one of these shops, it's a very big deal indeed, and you need to be sure that you are getting the guitar that you really want after you hand over your hard earned cash.
Enjoy the 660/12 and post us some pics when you get the time. :)
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Same English Garden, still waiting for the sun:

Image Image

It's quite a plain example compared to the ones I've seen online but I don't like too much flame or quilt.

It's pretty much perfect other than a small crack between the bottom screw hole and the edge of the pickguard. I suppose this must happen easily as it's on a brand new guitar! Still it's only mildly cosmetic. I assume that replacements can be sourced. Enjoying playing it still - the toasters sound great and I use the in-between setting at least as much as the bridge, which is nice.

Dreading the first string change though!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Congrats Brendan, that's a really nice Fireglo and the gold suits it well. Over tightening the screw will easily crack that vulnerable corner. How are you finding the wider/flatter neck?

I would rather go and buy another 12 string Rick than do another string change - it's not too difficult a task, it's just very long!
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Cheers Mark.

I don't mind the time it takes - I usually do my restringing while watching the footy or something I don't have to concentrate on too much. I do detest "tricky" string changes though. I hate restringing my Yamaha electric due to the bigsby :(

It's the torture of the slothead design that worries me - the 660 headstock seems a particularly daunting prospect as the slots don't go all the way through the wood. On the other hand the tailpiece seems a lot simpler, in access terms, than the "R" model.

The neck is fine - it feels great. Some things are easier to play. For example, the main riff in "Feel a Whole Lot Better" - the extra space makes the open A chord easier to do the on-off thing on the B string without muting the adjacent strings). On the other hand some stuff is not as easy. For example, in the same song, theres a run where you play an open D chord then add the C# bass note which leads down to a Bbm (at the end of the line "I can't stay on"). I keep missing the C# bass note due to not moving my little finger far enough across to take account of the extra width. Horses for courses, but just a question of familiarity, I'm sure.

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”