Please Tell Us About Octoberfest

Reports from Germany
ricardo_vicente

Re: Please Tell Us About Octoberfest

Post by ricardo_vicente »

xpitt wrote:
ricardo_vicente wrote:I like German beer so much I got married in a German brewery. I am not joking either!
Really ? Where ? Pic ?
..as long as you are not married to a german brewery...
In Dortmund in the DAB Brauerei (where all the old Dortmund brands are now brewed (Kronen, DAB, Brinkhoffs etc.)). It's one of the locations the local Town Hall offers for external civil wedding services.

I'll try and dig out a suitable later.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Ey, Ricardo, that sounds really cool ! What did they serve for dinner - californian wine ? :lol: Dortmund also has a famous soccer team, Borussia, Markus knows ! And Dortmund also was the industrial center of germany , together with Gelsenkirchen and Essen, but these days are gone.
ricardo_vicente

There you go ...

The ceremony took place in the old "Sudhalle" (brewing/production facility). You can see the big fermentation tanks either side of the group picture.

The guests all got a tour of the brewery museum between lunch and the evening reception. At least nobody can accuse me of not being able to organise a p*ss-up in a brewery!
:lol:
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

very nice ensemble

so you had sparkling BIER as toast to the bride and groom instead of Champagne
:lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

A MUCH better choice, in my opinion...
:lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ricardo_vicente

xpitt wrote:Ey, Ricardo, that sounds really cool ! What did they serve for dinner - californian wine ? :lol: Dortmund also has a famous soccer team, Borussia, Markus knows ! And Dortmund also was the industrial center of germany , together with Gelsenkirchen and Essen, but these days are gone.
I lived in the Ruhr Valley up until very recently, spending a total of 10 years there. The last few years I spent in Dortmund but my German "home town" is Bochum. So, please don't talk to me about those "Zecken"! :wink: :D

Oh, and we had Italian wine with the meal for those who wanted it and champagne too.

Looking at the picture again I realise what an international affair the whole thing was. We only had something like 65 guests but they included representatives from ...

England
Spain
Ireland
Scotland
Germany
Galicia
Portugal
Italy
Bosnia
Croatia
Poland
Nicaragua
Turkey (both ethnic Turks and Turkish Kurds)
Latvia
Ukraine
USA
Iraq
and Guyana

We had Christians, Jews and Muslims, Europeans, Asians, Americans, Black and White all at the same party ....

And we even had one Bavarian guy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

xpitt wrote:Dortmund also has a famous soccer team, Borussia, Markus knows !
Ähämm, ..., there is only one Borussia, and it is NOT the one from Dortmund :wink: ...
ricardo_vicente

doctorno wrote:
xpitt wrote:Dortmund also has a famous soccer team, Borussia, Markus knows !
Ähämm, ..., there is only one Borussia, and it is NOT the one from Dortmund :wink: ...
Tennis Borussia Berlin? :P
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

ricardo_vicente wrote:Tennis Borussia Berlin? :P
Not exactly :wink:

We, Mönchengladbach, play against Bayern München tomorrow. And if we do not bring home any points, we are probably going to play in the second division again next year. Unfortunately the last time we have won in Munich was in 1977 or so.

By the way, for those Americans and Candians of you interested in soccer: currently we have two members of the national Canadian soccer team (Rob Friend and Paul Stalteri) and one member of the national American soccer team (Michael Bradley) in our team.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:shock: America has a national soccer team? :shock: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ricardo_vicente

doctorno wrote:
ricardo_vicente wrote:Tennis Borussia Berlin? :P
Not exactly :wink:

We, Mönchengladbach, play against Bayern München tomorrow. And if we do not bring home any points, we are probably going to play in the second division again next year. Unfortunately the last time we have won in Munich was in 1977 or so.
I seem to remember a recent 1-0 victory you had over them at home on the first day of whatever season it was. You'd just been promoted I think.

I actually saw your team play this season in the "Hinrunde" in Bochum. 2-2 draw. And I'm afraid that as long as Bochum are still in danger of going down I can't wish you any luck with the "Abstiegskampf". :P
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

ricardo_vicente wrote:I seem to remember a recent 1-0 victory you had over them at home on the first day of whatever season it was.
Yes, at home Borussia has often won against Bayern, but in Munich the last victory for Borussia was in the 1970s indeed.
cjj wrote::shock: America has a national soccer team? :shock: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, and they are not even that bad.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorno wrote:
cjj wrote::shock: America has a national soccer team? :shock: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, and they are not even that bad.
That's encouraging news! :roll: :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I mostly put that comment in because in the U.S., most people don't even seem to know that soccer exists, or if they do, it's just some strange game played in Europe. I'm really not much of a sports fan, but I have to say I do enjoy the occasional soccer match...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cjj wrote:I mostly put that comment in because in the U.S., most people don't even seem to know that soccer exists, or if they do, it's just some strange game played in Europe.
I feel the same way about Formula 1; does any American really know who Sebastien Vettel is, for example? :roll:

Return to “German Chapter: by Markus Horn”