Please Tell Us About Octoberfest

Reports from Germany
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Re: Please Tell Us About Octoberfest

Post by xpitt »

cjj wrote:I was in Munich for Oktoberfest in 1989, I was visiting some friends who lived there while I was between jobs. The brass band thing was a bit overpowering, but somehow fitting in a weird way. The beer was pretty good though, I'm not sure Germans are actually capable of brewing bad beer...
The bavarians are brewing their beer since 1516 following a so called "Bavarian beer purity law" which means that ingredients used for brewing are only hop, malt, water and yeast, up to now ! The European Common abolished it ,so in other countries the brewers can use more than these but in Bavaria the purity law is still in force. That means that beer drinkers from elsewhere don't know any more how a really pure beer tastes :lol: ! And that's why they love it ! May the whole world around making jokes about the bavarians that they may be a little different , look funny and all those things, but they try to keep their heritage....some say a little like in the Asterix & Obelix comics :)
For those of you interested : the Oktoberfest event time is a regular one : It always ends on the first sunday in oktober and starts on the saturday two weeks before ! As the german reunion holiday is oktober 3rd it can happen, that the oktoberfest period lasts a day longer in the case that the 3rd oktober is a monday. I'll keep you informed with more details from time to time as the event is coming nearer. Servus ! ( a bavarian word for hello, good bye, how are you and some more meanings like: Oh my good - ja servus !)
regards, Alex
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

xpitt wrote:
cjj wrote:Servus ! ( a bavarian word for hello, good bye, how are you and some more meanings like: Oh my good - ja servus !)
regards, Alex
Kind of like Shalom! :)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote:
doctorwho wrote:It will be interesting to hear how Oktoberfest is celebrated over there, compared to the the way it's celebrated here in the U.S.A.
Isn't it called Drunkenfest here in the USA? :lol:
Also, I think that Americans forget that it's called Oktoberfest ...
Mobile Register, September 13, 1991
Mobile Register, September 13, 1991
:lol:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

doctorwho wrote:
jps wrote:
doctorwho wrote:It will be interesting to hear how Oktoberfest is celebrated over there, compared to the the way it's celebrated here in the U.S.A.
Isn't it called Drunkenfest here in the USA? :lol:
Oktober-SeptemberFest.jpg
:lol:
...german music is ooomph pah pah :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
in fact there are a lot of big beer tents there with different kinds of music and actually the tents with ooomph pah pah music are mostly frequented by anglo origin people :wink: ; the hosts like them because they drink the upmost amount of liquid bread (beer) , there are some other tents where you can listen to some rockin' sounds , welll, nearly :wink: ; but after a few Mass ( 1 ltr /0,2642 gallons) of beer it's only the beat that matters until they are all dancing on the tables. The only beer you can get are from breweries with a mill on city ground.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

doctorwho wrote:
That's actually faithful to the original Oktoberfest. Get there in October and you're more than likely to be too late. Only the final weekend of the festival falls in October. So this year it starts on September 19th and runs till October 4th.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

ricardo_vicente wrote:
doctorwho wrote:
That's actually faithful to the original Oktoberfest. Get there in October and you're more than likely to be too late. Only the final weekend of the festival falls in October. So this year it starts on September 19th and runs till October 4th.
Yes, Ricardo , perfect ! But the most important weekend here is called the "Italian Weekend" which is the second one ! Thousands of italian beer frantics are crowding whole munich with their campers, vans and caravan trailers. This is the weekend when the "munich aborigines" stay away from this mania :)
....and when they drive home on highway no 8 which leads south over the alps it is blocked by the police :( and some driving licences get confiscated...
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

Alex, I am glad you joined in in this thread and this section of the forum!

I am also glad, that you do not take all this talk about Bavarians too seriously. In the rest of Germany we make jokes about Bavaria but we also envy you a little. And I really love Bavarian beer, although I must tell you that there are beers brewed according to the Bavarian purity law of 1516 all over the world. Almost all the other German beers are brewed in the same way and many British, Scandinavian and even American beers are brewed according to the same rules - one great example is Samuel Adams Lager, brewed in Boston, MA - with Bavarian hops.

And some of the beers that are not brewed this way - like most of the Belgian ones - are also very good. Right now I am enjoying a Grimbergen - aahhh, the people in this small country know how to make a good beer ;-).
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

doctorno wrote:
And some of the beers that are not brewed this way - like most of the Belgian ones - are also very good. Right now I am enjoying a Grimbergen - aahhh, the people in this small country know how to make a good beer ;-).
... and a great box of chocolates, and the best fried potatoes (Vlaamse frietjes) in the world. Oooh, and the mussels are coming into season about now, but don't get me started! :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I have to say, my favorite beer of all (well, other than those I brew myself) is Schneider Weiss. I used to have those friends of mine from Munich bring it to me when they visited, but now it is possible to find it in the U.S.A. Luckily, I only have to drive 400 miles to get it now instead of having to travel to Germany!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

cjj wrote:I have to say, my favorite beer of all (well, other than those I brew myself) is Schneider Weiss. I used to have those friends of mine from Munich bring it to me when they visited, but now it is possible to find it in the U.S.A. Luckily, I only have to drive 400 miles to get it now instead of having to travel to Germany!
Congrats ! Schneider Weisse is best choice ! :D
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

cjj wrote:I have to say, my favorite beer of all (well, other than those I brew myself) is Schneider Weiss. I used to have those friends of mine from Munich bring it to me when they visited, but now it is possible to find it in the U.S.A. Luckily, I only have to drive 400 miles to get it now instead of having to travel to Germany!
A big thumbs up for the Schneider! A local beverage store stocks several varieties from Schneider as well as a over a hundred other notable imports from around the globe. So many great brews, so little time! :mrgreen:
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
palmann

Post by palmann »

windchimp wrote:So many great brews, so little time! :mrgreen:
Amen. ;)

Gruesse, Pablo
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

doctorno wrote: Alex, I am glad you joined in in this thread and this section of the forum!

I am also glad, that you do not take all this talk about Bavarians too seriously. In the rest of Germany we make jokes about Bavaria but we also envy you a little.
Markus, thanks for the welcome !
As I am not a tribally rooted Bavarian but an immigrant :wink: from northern germany I have no problems with that kind of jokes; as you know there are others in germany as well who have to suffer more from jokes - consider the "Ostfriesen" :lol: ; but the envy towards living here is all right - never would move from here !
I'll keep you all informed from time to time about Bavaria and Munich news in special , hopefully some news concerned to Rickenbacker themes as well.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

I like German beer so much I got married in a German brewery. I am not joking either!
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

ricardo_vicente wrote:I like German beer so much I got married in a German brewery. I am not joking either!
Really ? Where ? Pic ?
..as long as you are not married to a german brewery...

Return to “German Chapter: by Markus Horn”