Building Musicians.

Reports from Germany
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Building Musicians.

Post by whojamfan »

Markus,

Please tell us of you life as a music teacher in an academy, and how it is all put together. What is the age range of your students, and what do you teach them? Are they beginners, or do you build on their exisiting knowledge of music?

There are many teachers on this forum, both music and otherwise, and I'm sure we would all like to hear your take on the process.

Also, I know you have recorded many original compositions that I have downloaded and enjoyed, perhaps you could post a link here so that others may hear your music. Also, post a link in the section on recordings by forum members in case some folks don't get it here.

Looking forward to your sharing :D
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Re: Building Musicians.

Post by doctorno »

Mike,

I am teaching music and German at a public school, that is called a "Realschule", which is one of four different types of secondary schools in Germany. Our students are between 10 and 16 years old and we teach the 5th to the 10th grades. At our school we have got about 700 students - between 25 and 30 in each class. Unfortunately we do not have enough educated music teachers in Germany, so at our school f.e. we only give music lessons from the 5th to the 7th grade at the moment. Aside from that we have got three rock-groups that I am "coaching".

In our music lessons we try to teach some general knowledge about music (instruments, history of music, some basic musical theory). In Germany there are special public schools for learning instruments, but despite being public, parents have to pay a lot of money for their children attending them, so many of our students do not play any instruments. This is one of the reasons why singing is a very important part of our music lessons and why we are teaching every student some basic skills in playing the recorder.

This is the website of our school (in German, of course):
http://www.realschule-baesweiler.de

Concerning your other question: some of my own music is available for download on my website:
http://www.markushorn.eu
Thank you very much for your interest :D.

Kind regards,
Markus
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Wow, that's quite a feat. I didn't know that there were so few music teachers in Germany. I think that it is really cool to have a job like that where you get to show young people how to express their creativity an emotions in a positive manner. Coaching the bands must be a blast as well, I'm sure you have earplugs for those who have to play loud(like me :lol: ) Thanks for the info :D
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

whojamfan wrote:Wow, that's quite a feat. I didn't know that there were so few music teachers in Germany.
Well, in Germany universities are public. The government pays for them, students only have to pay very little fees. Now educating music teachers is very expensive for the universities because music teachers get individual tuition for three instruments during their studies. The government pays much, much more for a student becoming a music teacher than for a student becoming an English teacher. Probably this is one of the reasons why there is a very difficult entrance examination for those who want to become a music teacher, while everybody who has passed the German "Abitur" (which is a kind of A-Level or High School diploma) can study maths, English or German to become a teacher.

The result is that not enough people pass these entrance examinations to satisfy the demand for music teachers. This is a scandal, but too few people really care about it. Many parents in Germany think that music lessons are not that important, so they just don´t care.

The good thing about it is that once you have passed the entrance examination for music education studies in Germany you have got a job as a teacher almost guaranteed.
whojamfan wrote:Coaching the bands must be a blast as well, I'm sure you have earplugs for those who have to play loud
Yes, coaching the bands is great fun. And no, I do not wear earplugs, though maybe I should :wink: .
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

It's surprising to hear that a country so rich in musical history and culture doesn't feel that passing the torch to the next generation is a priority. Germany has produced some of the greatest composers in the world, and is a shame that there isn't more interest in producing more.

Thanks again for your responses Markus.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I think every large country is feeling the pressure to train their young people to compete in the world market of industry, technology and so forth. The school are ever more making priority of Math and Science skills over the arts and letters. Bu that's been so since the seventies here in USA. The encouragement and development of young artists is largely left to the artist and their family, private endowments, etc.
All I wanna do is rock!
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

whojamfan wrote:It's surprising to hear that a country so rich in musical history and culture doesn't feel that passing the torch to the next generation is a priority. Germany has produced some of the greatest composers in the world, and is a shame that there isn't more interest in producing more.
Yes, Germany has once played a leading role in the world of music. But these times are over since 1933. When the Nazis took power, many, many professional musicians in Germany and Austria were killed or forced to leave, because many of the great Austrian and German musicians in the 19th and early 20th century were Jews. Germany´s music scene and music education system has never completely recovered since the dark period of 1933-1945. Nowadays the international influence of German music on the culture of the Western world is ridiculous compared to the richness of American and English music culture.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

doctorno wrote: Germany´s music scene and music education system has never completely recovered since the dark period of 1933-1945.
75 years is a lot of water under the bridge. Have the Germans "forgotten" their musical legacy or has it been because of economic reasons, especially since the East-West reunion?
All I wanna do is rock!
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

kiramdear wrote:75 years is a lot of water under the bridge. Have the Germans "forgotten" their musical legacy or has it been because of economic reasons, especially since the East-West reunion?
When the Jews lost their homes and/ or their lives in Austria and Germany in the 1930s, a large number of the leading composers, the best music teachers, the best orchestra musicians, the best popular musicians and the best professors at the universities were not there anymore (not to mention all the great scientists, writers, artists a.s.o.). This is something you cannot compensate for in a period of "only" 75 years. A whole part of the German and Austrian culture, an important part of everyday life in Germany and Austria was "erased" in only 12 years. German culture will never totally recover from that and German culture will never be the same because the Jewish part of this culture is missing. One should remember that Jewish people were living in Germany ever since the name "Germany" existed.

What is more a lot of people living in Germany today have really forgotten about our musical legacy. Not only do most young people in Germany know nothing about the great classical composers of the past, there also is no real German folk music anymore - another consequence of the Nazi period: German folk songs could not be sung anymore after 1945, the youth had to turn around and listen to Glenn Miller and Elvis instead. German folk culture was somehow "polluted" or "damaged" by the Nazi regime. And many young people felt that while the American forces freed Germany from the Nazi terror, the American music freed the hearts and souls from all this fear and hate. Most young Germans "took over" the American and English music culture for themselves - at least to a certain extend - after world war two.

You know, I was born in 1972, and I grew up with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Sex Pistols and all that. I know thousands of English pop songs and only very few German folk songs. And this is fine for me personally, but it is a problem for the status of music within the German culture. You could say we have lost our own language in music. Again this is no problem for me personally, but it is a problem for Germany in general. Most people around here listen to music that they do not really understand. It is not the same whether you are a 12 year old African American living in New York or a 12 year old with parents who came from Turkey living in Cologne, when you are listening to Hip-Hop - but both 12 year olds are listening to Hip-Hop all the time, of course. And a Beatles song is not the same for a 50 year old mother of two living in Berlin, who understands only half of the lyrics, as it is for a 50 year old mother living in Manchester, while both will tell you, that they love the Beatles.

This is a very complex and difficult topic and it is very hard for me to express my thoughts concerning this in English :wink: .
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thank you for that, Markus. I appreciate your introspection on the subject. I can see, through your eyes, that even a century would not be enough to restore such a loss to German culture.

Germany had also been among the leaders of the progressive movements in Painting and Sculpture prior to WWII, which were decimated there afterward by the escape or destruction of their leading artists, many of Jewish background.
All I wanna do is rock!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

It's sad to see that 12 years of rule by a madman has erased so much culture and interest in culture in Germany.

Return to “German Chapter: by Markus Horn”