We're a Wierd Mob!

Reports from Australia
bails
Veteran RRF member

Re: We're a Wierd Mob!

Post by bails »

I'm a little late on this one, but I've never met any Australian who is a descendant of a convict, though I believe it is considered to be the pinnacle of Australian geneology to be linked to one.

Although I haven't looked at the figures, the ratio of free settlers to convicts over the span of modern Australia's 220-year existance is probably more than 10,000:1. That's like trying to find a felonious needle in a law-abiding migrant haystack.

Despite the convict myth, it is however true that all Australians ride kangaroos to work, and we are looking forward to out first shipment of Mr Edison's fantastic new wonder, the electric light bulb...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Bails,

That Edison rumour has been going round for years - I'll believe it when I see it!

My Kangaroo broke down yesterday, and I had to catch public transport. Those Wombat-pulled drays are ever so slow!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
araT

Post by araT »

Don't forget the dropbears! ;)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

araT wrote:Don't forget the dropbears! ;)
I never let Aitch forget them! :mrgreen:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

What are dropbears? :?
All I wanna do is rock!
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

kiramdear wrote:What are dropbears? :?
Kira, you may regret asking that. I just hope they take pity on you!

Yes, some Aussies (I'm actually a Scots/Kiwi) are descended from people who were sent to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread. I suspect it was something to do with hunger.....

Eden.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kiramdear wrote:What are dropbears? :?
www.geocities.com/muirnin/db.htm
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

And he would know, he's from Muirnin.

Have you ever been there? The place is like teeming with them!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Be afwaid! Be vewwy vewwy afwaid...Image
All I wanna do is rock!
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULEQpUY_crc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULEQpUY_crc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Too many guys protesting too much about their lineage here methinks... :lol:

We all know where you Aussies came from...the gentleman who speaks with marbles in his mouth, and, who accepts memberships at Lords, told us cricket fans when we visit there. He reminded us, to keep reminding you....especially when you don't have any spin bowlers anymore, have lost the first test at home, and, when you still pretend you like red wine with trout. :lol:

Disclaimer~Third party observation. No connection with the poster intended, implied, whatsoever... :lol:

That Split Enz RM1999 bass was lost in a fire IIRC...(Just how do I know all this c**p....) :lol:
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

My 19 year old son has ALWAYS had a fascination with Australia, as far back as I can remember.

He is in his second year of pre-med at college and informs me he "has" to do one semester of study abroad before he finishes his fourth year.
SO, he's chosen Australia, no surprise there. Why not Canada? Nice & close, not too expensive....but no, Australia it is.

When he was back in high school, the French Club took was scheduled to take a trip to France. After MUCH begging & pleading....I gave my consent after MUCH debate. Before I knew it, they added the UK, Germany & Switzerland. Lovely, he got the trip, I got the bill. Now, at sixteen, this little child of mine has now traveled more than I ever have. To top that off, I convinced myself that after 4 years of studying French, it would do him well to try it out in France...Freaking buggers, as SOON as he started to speak, they said "no-no, we want to try out our English"...never fails.

SO now, he's asking "how am I going to pay for this trip Dad"........my response? Who are you again? :twisted: :twisted:

I'm not sure how he is going to decide what part of Australia to "study abroad" in, or how HE is going to pay for it, but hopefully he hooks up with a broad who will teach him for free! :twisted:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

ajish4 wrote:SO now, he's asking "how am I going to pay for this trip Dad"........my response? Who are you again? :twisted: :twisted:

I'm not sure how he is going to decide what part of Australia to "study abroad" in, or how HE is going to pay for it, but hopefully he hooks up with a broad who will teach him for free! :twisted:
I hope he's not looking at your Ricks! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”