Buying a new-ish 4003

Reports from Australia
Benjamin

Buying a new-ish 4003

Post by Benjamin »

Hi All,

I'm new to this place and presently a Rickenbacker virgin. It will be only a matter of a month or so until I can afford a 4003, in the meantime I am weighing up the options and possibilities.

What I am chasing is a later model 4003 MID, say 2006/2007 onward. The earlier MID and AzureGlo don't interest me because they aren't the colour I desire. Ideally I LUST for a 2009 4003 MID, and that's where the mind riot starts...

1. Buy a new 2009er from US Ebay - Screw the warranty
2. Buy a 2007er from US Ebay - Still screw the warranty
3. ??

I know Rics have legendary build quality. The chances of a new 4003 screwing up are very rare. I like warranty but Ric's warranty confuses me - it reads like "If there WAS an Aussie distributor, which there ISN'T, then maybe we would honour it. Since there ISN'T then you're up the creek without a paddle".

So if that's the case, how have any of you fellow Aussies purchased a new Ric in the last couple of years since CMI stopped shipping? Have you all simply bit the bullet and warranty be stuffed? Or are you all playing Rics that were under warranty when you purchased them new 3-4 years ago?

Cheers!
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Re: Buying a new-ish 4003

Post by gregga41 »

Hi Benjamin, and welcome to the forum!
I'm basically a "screw the warranty" type, as there isn't much of a chance i'd be prepared to pay the shipping costs. That said, i've never had a problem with any of the Ricks i've purchased. Most of mine were purchased through ebay, or a few of the Australian forumites. Only one was brand new,2008JG 360, and you guessed it, screw the warranty!
Where in the great land of Oz are you from Ben?
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Thanks mate!

It is all going to come down to how desperate I am. Right now I am without main bass because its body cracked in the neck pocket - that and she just didn't have the sound I was chasing/dreaming of - no matter the $$ I spent on Bartolini pickups.

I am playing my Tanglewood acoustic bass a lot. My fretless P/J is needing work/setup, but what I really need ASAP to get moving on my music is an inspiring 4 string electric! I haven't cranked the volume in happiness in months!

I live just North of Melbourne, whereabouts are you?

Really if enough of you guys are confident in buying without warranty then that helps my decision. I know they are built properly in the first place. The only recent problems were blue bleeding into the binding and that was fixed with different paint supplier. Apart from that we all know of the 1/10000 cases of neck warpage or similar.

Cheers
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

There is a group of us ,in and around Melbournes bayside area. I'm sure one of us can find you a bass.
We'll make sure you are invited to the next get-together Ben! :D
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I've just weighed in on the official confluence thread and plan to be there!

Maybe someone can buy one in the US for me and bring it over to the confluence?? I don't know if I can wait that long!!

In the meantime the hunt continues...
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

gregga41 wrote:There is a group of us ,in and around Melbournes bayside area
There seems to be an unwritten law that if you play a Rickenbacker in Australia, you have to live in or around Melbourne. I know there's one or two outside that region - You Melbourne citizens need to round those stragglers up! :wink:
Ka is a wheel.
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

We're hoping they'll all make the trip over next year! :D
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

The time is drawing closer. At this rate I am looking at late October or early November! YAAAAY!

I have made the decision that I am going to take whatever I can when the time is right. Be that a bass from the board here... absolutely love 1965's 4003 AFG or a new one from somewhere else. I have been given a line on a new 2009 JetGlo. Given I could be a month away I wouldn't expect it to be still available.

Ultimately I am after a 4003 MID, but it doesn't look like one of these will be coming via Rickenbacker Asia any time soon, even though I am on the order/waiting list and hoping. There's a 4003 MID on US Ebay of course, but once again I am not in a position right now.

This waiting is getting to me though, no electric bass to write music on! I figure that if I end up with JG, AFG or FG I will still be happy. For me it is about the sound and the feel. If a MID comes up 6 months later, I may sell what I have at a small loss and get what I really long for. Or I may be fortunate enough to be able to have one of each!

Does anyone have an inside track on how the factory is going with back order?

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”