Australia's Bad Dust Storm

Reports from Australia
8mileshigher

Australia's Bad Dust Storm

Post by 8mileshigher »

I saw the report on the news last night about the horrible red dust storm :x :evil: :shock: blanketing the city of Sydney and the famous landmarks barely visible in the stuff.

Hope all our RRF-ers in Australia are OK and that all your Rics and amps are safely tucked away.

I guess Trotty will no doubt have to deal with insurance-claim issues as result of this freakish occurance.
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Re: Sydney's Bad Dust Storm

Post by weemac »

It must be pointed that Australia does not start and end with Sydney.
Most of New South Wales was covered and a bit of Victoria. I have no idea why Sydney thinks that it was the only place effected
Our cars are still covered with the stuff and you could not see out of the windows.
The houses have dust under the eaves and the roads were red. (as were most folks eyes)
I blame the media for promoting the myth that it was just Sydney.....

Whoops I'm ranting... :lol:

Now back to your normal viewing...

Eden.
8mileshigher

Re: Australia's Bad Dust Storm

Post by 8mileshigher »

Eden, I Didn't mean to omit other Provinces or minimize damage to other areas of Oz. :(
I have changed the thread title to Australia's bad dust storm.... instead of just "Sydney's".

The news I was watching in L.A. only mentioned Sydney and were showing the famous Opera house and Bridge....
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

It looked pretty bad from down here. Dust storms like that can occur anywhere in Australia and are relatively rare as far as capital cities are concerned - maybe once every 2 or 3 decades. Our last one down here in Melbourne in 1983 coincided with with some of our worst bushfires - it was hellish!

This most recent one extended some 800 miles along the east coast! :shock:

A lot of work cleaning up after too. And if they are followed by heavy rain it can be even more nasty..... drains blocked with mud and floods everywhere.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

8mileshigher wrote:The news I was watching in L.A. only mentioned Sydney and were showing the famous Opera house and Bridge....
It's ok, as I said it is the media that has a skew on events. (I guess they always do!) :lol:

Eden.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I suppose those dust storms are useful only if you something sandblasted on the cheap eh Aitch? :mrgreen:

I saw that on the news last night also Eden and I wondered why only Sydney got a mention. But that's the way to sell a news headline right? Mention that it only happened in one place and make it seem like it was only city dwellers who bore the brunt of it. :shock: Oh well. At least Rich was concerned enough to make sure your instruments, amps and you blokes are OK. I can tell you by your post that you are because you still have your keen sense of humour about you. :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I hope it will pass soon and that none of our friends should suffer too much hardship.
All I wanna do is rock!
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Re: Sydney's Bad Dust Storm

Post by xpitt »

weemac wrote:.....The houses have dust under the eaves .........
...so be careful when polishing your Ricks.....you wouldn't like that sort of fireglo at all... :wink:

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”