USA to AUS shipping question

Reports from Australia
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

USA to AUS shipping question

Post by jdogric12 »

Hey there down underers! Quick question, how much do you think it would cost to ship an acoustic guitar in a chipboard case from Florida to melbourne, australia, victoria 3132 ? Value is about $150 US. Thanks, J
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: USA to AUS shipping question

Post by blueflamerick »

Jason, I tried to ship a Gibson Melody Maker reissue (boxed in a gigbag) from VA to AUS and the cheapest quote I got for shipping was $350. Guitars are too big for the post office to ship there, so you're stuck with UPS/FedEx/etc.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Yeah...... minimum $350. Probably closer to $450. :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Thanks mates! You're the best! Cheers J
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

If the length is short enough USPS would be the best bet, the next lowest option is fedex.

Eden.
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

I still don't understand the US to AUS shipping pricing. I just brought in an epiphone sheraton in a hardcase for US$125 via USPS, and it was here in under a week!!.
Yet a bought my first 360 a few years back, it took 3 weeks to get here and cost US$350, ...FEDEX
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm starting to gather that Fedex is mighty expensive.

Also, just thought I'd check back in to say the Charvel 625C12 sold to an Australian ebayer who had me ship it to a friend in the states, so I didn't have to worry about it! Thanks for all your help though mates!
tamere

Post by tamere »

i'm getting a falcon shipped from the usa, it cost 400 by UPS
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

tamere wrote:i'm getting a falcon shipped from the usa, it cost 400 by UPS
At least the Aussie dollar is at a near-all-time high. $400 is just ridiculous. Enjoy the guitar.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

The increased shipping either way has spoiled the value of the Australian dollar.
I was going to purchase Beefandbones 610/12vp but the $360 postage ruined that idea... :oops:

Eden.
tamere

Post by tamere »

yes it is high because of the oversidez shape and the fragile nature of the falcon. but I got a good deal, less than 3000 aussie dollars shipping included.
slave

Post by slave »

If the Ric basses were a bolt-on this wouldn't be an issue, we'd all just ship two boxes.

I thought a guitar length case was OK for USPS and Auspost, and it was only the long bass case was not permitted????
4004cii

Post by 4004cii »

Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone's has any experience with using pack and save or interparcel for shipping basses from the US to Oz

Looking at shipping cost from FedEx and ups are unreal
1000us hoping there are cheaper reabile options
collin

Post by collin »

USPS has always been the lowest cost from the US to AUS - but it's still incredibly expensive no matter how you slice it.

Oddly, it's half the price coming the other direction. I had a Rickenbacker shipped from AUS to US last year via DHL and it was only $150 or so.

4004cii wrote:Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone's has any experience with using pack and save or interparcel for shipping basses from the US to Oz

Looking at shipping cost from FedEx and ups are unreal
1000us hoping there are cheaper reabile options
For what it's worth, services like Interparcel will take your money and offer shipping services, but they will NOT cover insurance specifically for musical instruments, so proceed with caution. I've used them for shipping amps and even guitars, but was aware of the inherent risk. Never had an issue though.

It's a tough road with shipping basses because the cost is based on dimensional weight, and a bass is much longer than guitar box. The shipping box needs to be as tight to the case dimensions as possible, just a few cm over and the price can go up exponentially. Pack it well INSIDE the case, then cover the case closely with cardboard.
4004cii

Post by 4004cii »

Thank you so much for the insight.

It's crazy how there can be such a difference in price for stuff going from OZ to the US.

The interparcel quote was much cheaper and it said it was through UPS. Just had never heard of them before. Just so conflicted at the moment because of all the stuff going on. If it's better to go directly with the UPS/ FEDEX/DHL
For better accountability or does it not matter because companies like interparcel use UPS

The bass will be packed well just worried about it going walkabout through the delivery process

The only other thing would be; are the prices from FedEx and UPS so high because they include the customs/ duties in the price. In which case the 1000+ AUD maybe okay

Also any thoughts on pack and send

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”