Just to say hello

Reports from the Russian Federation
akhv

Just to say hello

Post by akhv »

Another russian ric owner here, looks like here's an awful lot of us already.

I'd like to tell you how i chose my first ric, how i played a lot of different models, chose between
different options and carefully examined all the colours, but i didn't really. I was just on a mission
to get a ric 12string.
It started some years ago. Looked like every other guitar part i come up with goes "oh, that
should be played on a jangly 12string electric". Can you expect anything else from a rabid Beatles fan
from age five on. Or from a Gene Clark / Byrds fan.
So i just needed any 300 model, i never played any, never held one in my hands, i don't even
remember seeing them (though i know i did), so i just let it happen, any model, any colour.

There is no russian ric dealer, although during 90s there was one actually. But with prices like
2000$ and higher (and those were the days when many people were happy with 200$ monthly
salaries) those guitars were more like museum pieces, being kept behind glass to be admired at
the shop entrance, and that dealer finally gave up tring to sell rics. Now there's a lot more
money in russia, and there are some expensive guitars here but almost no rics.

So the only way to get a ric is to buy it somewhere else. There are some small traders working
with ebay (american and others), actually about a month ago i emailed one trader who had a
360/12 fireglo (iirc). Price quotation was something like 2900 or 3000$, looked totally
unreasonable to me, nevertheless it was marked as sold just a few days later.
International shipping is not only expensive, but you also have to pay customs fees, roughly
30%, and if you return from abroad with a guitar you don't have to pay customs at all, so even
a 2 way flight ticket can be a better way.

Having a friend who works in london and agreed to bring me a guitar, i started looking for a
deal in uk. Lots of googling, lots of websites, best deal i found was a 340/12 blueburst here:
http://www.americanguitarsuk.com/guitar ... backer.php, but they didn't answer
my e-mail, so while i wondered if i should call them i started randomly e-mailing uk guitar
shops. Now i know i should have done this right from the start, looks like most guitar shops
don't bother too much updating their websites. They clearly don't expect large crowds of
ric-hungry foreigners.

There was one shop who answered my question if they have any ric 12string in stock with "yes,
fireglo for a 1000 pounds" with no mention of model or anything else. I thought maybe they were
being sarcastic, but didn't tell them so, just asked for some details. Next day they wrote me it
was sold. Aw, i just knew it wouldn't work out :)

Finally i found a good deal on a used 370/12 mapleglo. Looked up serial an a ric website, and it turns
out this guitar was made in august 1998. That date has a meaning for every russian, that was a time
of "default" when russian currency fell 300% overnight, prices went sky high, lots of people lost their
jobs including me. Well, we really had some fun those days.

Now the shop didn't accept foreign cards, and money transfer wasn't easy. My bank accountant asked for invoice
from the shop, and told me that invoice should contain both shop account details and certain phrase
about the guitar "to be further delivered to russian federation". I wasn't sure if i could
change the way the shop make invoices, so thank god for word processors. Later I was almost
drowned in all the paperwork, 4 copies of a 3-page contract, some parts has to be handwritten,
and a couple of days later i had to do it all again, because the date when my ID was issued was
missing from page 1 (it was on page 2, but it didn't matter of course). Is it everywhere like
this?

All's well that ends well. The guitar is here finally. It's in mint condition so i think it very rarely
(if ever) left the case before, i think there's no way keeping a guitar in such condition if you
actually play it.
I've seen lots of pictures of mapleglo rics, looked very plain and simple in pictures, but in reality
it looks like guitar is covered with tiny sparkles or small fur or i don't know how to describe it,
you should know anyway. What a pleasant surprise.
Also i had some initial shock (like in "i knew neck would be small, i just didn't expect it to be
that small!" and i thought i got small hands, by the way i never played a 12string before), but now this
guitar isn't a stranger to me anymore. Now that i know what she (guitar is always a she in russian)
likes and dislikes, it's getting easier every day.
Ok, enough talking, it's getting out of hand, and i just wanted to say hello.
So, ahem, hello!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: Just to say hello

Post by sowhat »

Hello, Ashot. Now it looks like there's a desperate need for a third to form a "Russian mafia" on the RRF. Seems like guys from ru_guitar and whoemania aren't that much interested in taking over this forum.
Thanks for your story, and very glad you've finally got a Ric. It's evident that it wasn't that easy. But perhaps this way is cheaper than buying (well, once you've spotted it which can also take, well, a little bit more than some time) one at Rondo, or maybe i'm wrong.
All in all, превед! :)
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Welcome, Ashot.

That's a heck of a lot of red tape to go through..... congrats on your persistence. Oh... and the Rick, of course!! :D
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

ozover50 wrote:Welcome, Ashot.

That's a heck of a lot of red tape to go through..... congrats on your persistence. Oh... and the Rick, of course!! :D
+1! :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
akhv

Post by akhv »

sowhat wrote:Hello, Ashot. Now it looks like there's a desperate need for a third to form a "Russian mafia" on the RRF. Seems like guys from ru_guitar and whoemania aren't that much interested in taking over this forum.
And no wonder, here Ric is more a myth than a real guitar. And those few who actually have them are probably too busy playing. So the way things are going we should expect next russian here around 2015.
sowhat wrote:Thanks for your story, and very glad you've finally got a Ric. It's evident that it wasn't that easy. But perhaps this way is cheaper than buying (well, once you've spotted it which can also take, well, a little bit more than some time) one at Rondo, or maybe i'm wrong.
All in all, превед! :)
Воистину превед! Как же непросто писать на английском-то! :)
Actually i kept an eye on music gear ads for some years, ten maybe (you never know what may come up, i got some real treasures this way). I saw one or two Rics for sale, none of them were 12string or 300s iirc. Looks like if anyone here gets a hold of Ric, he just won't let it go. Can't blame them, are we?
ozover50 wrote:Welcome, Ashot.
Thanks. I guess sometimes it pays to be stubborn. :)
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Cool! We've doubled our Russian ranks in th RRF!
Ka is a wheel.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Welcome, Ashot! :D
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

beatlefreak wrote:Cool! We've doubled our Russian ranks in th RRF!
Heh, heh. :twisted:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
akhv

Post by akhv »

One funny thing.
There was a time when I visited a Gretsch guitars forum a lot, so that I would know exactly what model to buy, pre- or post-FMIC etc. Then after I bought a Gretsch (my first good guitar) I almost stopped reading that forum. Because now that I can actually play it I don't need to read about it anymore. :P
With Ric it is exactly the opposite. Before I bought this 370/12 my RAS was at a fever pitch already, so reading a Ric forum would only make matters worse. But now that I got a Ric I come here very often, it turns out there's an awful lot of things to know.
I have done some repair on my Ric already (I posted about it here in a tech forum), that just wouldn't be possible without you guys. :)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I came here just looking for a bass, but before long I had learned a lot and found a some new friends too. Kick your shoes off, Ashot, and stay a while. You're very welcome. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Welcome Ashot. You will discover that lasting friendships are often developed as a result of this forum. It has happened to me many times over now. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Russian Federation Chapter: by Sheena Colvin”