What Got Tom Petty Into Rickenbackers?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Re: What Got Tom Petty Into Rickenbackers?

Post by drumbob »

I'm going to see Tom & The 'Breakers on August 24 at the Izod Center in New Jersey, and we supposedly have great seats. Personally, I have no problem with bands changing guitars to their heart's content in concert. I like looking at what they're playing and it's all done in a matter of seconds anyway. They're not a club band that needs to keep the momentum going and dance floor filled after all.

On my own gigs, I have been known to change guitars four to five times a set, although I realize that can be a bit much. I'm trying to keep it to two changes per set. I arrange the sets with all the Rick 12 songs together, then switch to the Les Paul Junior, Les Paul Standard, or the Gretsch Silver Jet. I always have a Fender handy as well; Strat, Tele or Jazzmaster. I've gotten so I can change guitars in about fifteen seconds flat.
Serial

Post by Serial »

I've been backstage for a number of TP shows over the past decade or so and every time is an absolute treat to be able to gawk at, hold and even play some of these beauties. I would NEVER complain about their guitar changes. It is a rock SHOW and for guitar geeks like me, that's one of the best parts.
As for changing guitars between songs, Tom and Mike have the guy who invented guitar teching-Alan Rogan.
I got to meet Alan and hang out talking guitars with him on the Who tour bus a few years back as he was passing the torch to Pete's new tech. There's probably nothing he doesn't know about guitars.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I wonder who does more guitar changes in a show, Tom Petty/Mike Campbell or John Fogerty?
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”