What Got Tom Petty Into Rickenbackers?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
admin
Site Admin

What Got Tom Petty Into Rickenbackers?

Post by admin »

I am not well-versed in the history of Tom Petty but although he was on the scene from about 1976 it would be a few years before Rickenbackers would be introduced into their line up. What got Tom interested in Rickenbackers?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: What Got Tom Petty Into Rickenbackers?

Post by JakeK »

Tom had owned a 365OS (used at Live Aid) since he was 16 years old. He got into Rics mostly because the Beatles were using them, and he wanted a 6 string version of the "Hard Day's Night" 12-string that George Harrison used. He walked into the local Gainesville music store and ordered one (special order for the double-bound body, I think. Was double-binding a special order option in 1966?). He still owns that very Ric to this day, and used it in 2004 on the "Soundstage" performance.

Campbell bought the '63 620/12 in '77, I'd like to say, in the LA Classifieds for a total of $125. When he learned what it was, he couldn't believe what he had stumbled upon. He used the 620/12 til about 1989, when he switched over to the '66 360/12 that he still uses to this day. Probably because if the 360 was stolen, it could be easily replaced. He used the 620/12 for the first time on the 1977 UK tour.
collin

Post by collin »

Damn, thanks for the info Jake! I'm with Peter, I'm not super well-versed in Petty, other than I think he and Campbell should have a coffee table book made of their Ric collection.

I didn't know TP owned that 360OS from new! That's pretty damn cool.

Cheers,
-Collin
lcjones

Post by lcjones »

I agree, a book of Campbell and Petty giving a tour of their tools would be awesome!

I was grateful to see Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers on tour this past summer. Between Petty and Campbell it was a veritable Classic Rock Electric Guitar Museum Show. I was just flabbergasted. I mean I've seen (have) Soundstage and other DVD's and watched in awe as they swapped guitars on nearly every song. But in person it was a serious trip. It was outrageous. I can't image the value of the guitars they used on just the one night. Freaking phenomenal.

It so happens my youngest brother is certified union sound man and opted to do the Petty Concert in Cincinnati. He gets to pick and choose the shows he does. (the d!ck.... :) .. and I've told him so ) When we got to the show he told us to call him on his cell phone so we could sit and talk a few minutes. When he came out we did some small family talk. Then he said, knowing I'd never been to a Petty concert, "You've never been to a Petty concert have you?" I said no. Then He said, "dude, it's LOUD". He was not off by one db! :) it was LOUD! But it was the best LOUD I have ever heard! :)

And then my brother said he was doing the Bob Dylan tour in August in Cincinnati .... ack... the d!ck. :)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

The quantity, age and value of the arsenal of vintage guitars that TP and Mike Campbell haul around for their shows must make the underwriters at Lloyds of London shudder. Just the quantity of Rics they used at the last two concerts I attended, must have been about seven models ... add in all the other brands, several of which are 45 years old+ or out-of-print, limited editions .... must be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. They must switch guitars 15 or 20 times during a concert.

And no $$$ could likely be put on the sentimental value of some of their instruments... the classic songs that specific guitars were used for the recordings on, over the last 30 years ... the guest artists like George Harrison or Roger McGuinn who likely shared the joy of playing some of those Rics. There was a good edition of Vintage Guitar magazine a couple of years ago, that had a "cover story" article on some of TP and Mike's special guitars, including several Rics, whose history was detailed in the article.

Have any of you seen any other musicians who share the wealth of their guitar collections at concerts, to the degree of the Heartbreakers ?

Rich F.
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

Thanks for the story about Tom's 365 OS. When I first saw pics of it in the '80s I thought it was the coolest Rick ever, but of course with those appointments (crushed pearl inlay, smaller headstock, toasters, double binding) they are a rare beast indeed. I FINALLY bit the bullet and bought one this year, a '66. I should have sent Tom the bill!
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

The one thing that bothered me about the hEArtbreakers live show is the guitar switching.... you don't NEED to change guitars 15-20 times a night.... if it's because it fell out of tune, I'd understand, but if your guitar falls out of tune every song or 2, you need to hire a new guitar tech!

I understand re-creating the album sound with the proper guitar, but how many people can hear the difference between two Strats once you crank it through the PA?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I used to follow Tom for the longest time, Nick. He's one of the reasons I want everything that I do! But when you told me that people really couldn't hear the difference between a Rickenbacker hollowbody through a VOX AC-30 and a Strat through a Marshall DFX30, I took your word for it.

Just think, 30 years ago Tom mostly played a Strat in concert pitch and a Tele in open A tuning. For a brief period in 1978, he'd change it around and play a Flying V. Mike Campbell had a Les Paul goldtop with p-90s (covers removed, used on nearly every song), a '50 Broadcaster/Nocaster/Tele (played for "American Girl", "Surrender" and "Shout") and a Ric 620/12 (for "Listen to Her Heart" and "Here Comes My Girl") running through two VOX Super Beatle amps (one for Mike, one for Tom, also one for Ron Blair and one for Benmont Tench's organ and electric piano). Ron Blair was happy playing his all black Fender Jazz Bass with white pickguard for a show. These days, he's happy with his '64 (either original or a Custom Shop RI) Olympic white Jazz Bass. You never see him switch a bass.

Tom and Mike should revert to the way it was in the old days: One (maybe two) 6-string electric guitar(s) and one 12-string electric guitar in standard pitch for the whole show, one 6-string acoustic in standard, and two electrics in a semitone tuning for the whole show. Running through two AC-30s.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

It's not the crowd "Can't" hear the difference, it's that they don't care in the least!

I can understand having a FEW guitars on stage, especially at their level

1 in standard
1 in 1/2 down
maybe one in an open tuning
1 acoustic.

From what I've heard of Tom Petty, they've got like 30 guitars on stage at once, and in my never so humble opinion, it dis-associates the crowd from the show. it gives the show a staggered feel (no matter how fluidly and quickly they can do it) and seems more like a "look at what I have" than a "best show possible" state of mind.

Anyhow, that's how I see it.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

What, you guys don't like guitars?! Jake, you're arguing to see LESS Rickenbackers at a Tom Petty concert?!!? :shock:

I happen to think it's pretty cool...where else can you see that kind of vintage equipment put to real use?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

dpowell wrote:Jake, you're arguing to see LESS Rickenbackers at a Tom Petty concert?!!?
Hell no! I'm just saying, if he did use less guitars, I vote he'd bring his RM1997 and his RM1993/12 for electrics in standard tuning and the 660/12TP in half-step tuning for American Girl.
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

I think too many bands have become goofy about the guitar change. On a record, sure, where you can distinguish differences, but live? I'll bet a lot of us (myself included) play three sets with the same guitar. I recently saw Band of Horses and the vocalist went through six different guitars in a 50 minute set, three of which were various Les Pauls. Insane (and BORING) to break up a set's flow like that.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

Hogwash ! I love the Heartbreakers guitar show, it's like a feast of eye candy. I don't think they miss a beat live, no matter how many guitars they break out. When he plays his old Guild 12-string, I get all goosy.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

steverok wrote:\I don't think they miss a beat live, no matter how many guitars they break out.\
Well, unless Tom comes onstage stoned and walks away without playing anything...happened to a friend of mine. :(
lcjones

Post by lcjones »

steverok wrote:Hogwash ! I love the Heartbreakers guitar show, it's like a feast of eye candy. I don't think they miss a beat live, no matter how many guitars they break out. When he plays his old Guild 12-string, I get all goosy.
I've been a Petty/Heartbreakers fan for many years. This past summer was the first Petty concert I've been to. My youngest brother is union sound man and worked the show. He's done a couple Petty shows over the years. Before the show started he came out to visit a few minutes with me. He says, "Brother, its gonna get real loud in a just a few minutes! :) I was hoping to get a, ahem, little backstage tour, but alas it wasn't to be. Anyway, being the perennial guitar lover, and having watched Petty DVD concerts, I was absolutely thrilled to watch the guitar changes. I was just a tad too far back to tell what each one was but of course, no mistaking a Ric when it hits the stage! It really was a focal point for me to witness the changing. And, all in all, I don't think anyone in the crowd really cared there was a minute between songs because as soon as the first chord of the next song was played it was all hell breaking out again!

I still getting a head rush watching it in my mind! :)

And the "Old Guild 12". Is a Model D-212 Mahogany. I'm not sure what year it is but I think early 80's. Perhaps '81. Actually I think it's Mikes guitar as well. But I went way out of my way and spent a year searching for one. I finally found one and bought it from a fella in Michigan. That's been about three years ago. Interestingly enough, he apparently "had " to sell. So I really kind of got a good deal. We talked about it and I could tell he was gonna miss it. But after our talks about shipping and packing it up and small talk about music, he felt she was getting a good home. And three years later, we still keep in touch. He loves it as much now as he did then and I do too.

Chap

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”