Refugee

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Refugee

Post by JakeK »

I'm trying to get some topics into my new forum, so I was thinking we could discuss individual TP songs that we enjoy, and if you don't enjoy it, voice your opinion here.

Two of my top favorite Tom Petty tracks are "Here Comes My Girl" and "Refugee". "Refugee", in particular, I love because it states a good message, "You don't have to live like a refugee", in other words, "You don't have to live like you don't belong", and that's what makes this song one of the best. The chord progression, too, is a sweet one: F#m, A major, E major. One of the best chord progressions of a song I've ever heard. This song, believe it or not, took over 110 takes to make. The band would work on it hour after hour, day after day, coming up with nothing. Mike Campbell was so angry, he was fed up with it. After Jimmy Iovine brought out a Hammond organ for Tench to use, the song morphed into gold.

What's weird about the song is that the "Playback" box set states Mike Campbell on bass, but Tom Petty and Ron Blair himself remember Blair being at the session playing bass.

Guitars that were used were:
Tom - his trusty '63 Strat and Gibson Dove acoustic
Mike - Gibson Les Paul goldtop and/or '50 Fender Broadcaster (I also heard that it could have been his '69 Tele with two PAFs and Bigsby)
Ron - all black (except pickguard) Fender Jazz Bass

I always thought the "Rock Goes to College" version from 1980 that I posted up on YouTube was good...but then I saw this performance from SNL in November '79...while Mike couldn't extend the solo like he did in "Rock Goes to College", they sure did the song justice here.

Here's the "Rock Goes" version to compare for yourselves:
beatlefreak

Re: Refugee

Post by beatlefreak »

Refugee was a good song - Unfortunately for me, it got played to death on the radio when it came out (and for about ten years afterwards).
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

+1
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

The second vid is no longer available. :(

This period of TP's music happened when I was working on my Master's degree and working part-time at a sporting goods store ... I can still remember the tunes playing on the old AM/FM radio I had in the stock room!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
TheWonders

Post by TheWonders »

Refugee is a classic TP song. It's one of my favorites, but having said that, I must also point out the TP has written a boatload of my favorite songs. :D

Is this the song that Tom broke his hand over?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

1984's "Rebels" was the song that Tom broke his hand over. During "Refugee", Mike left for Santa Barbara when the redundance of recording the song were too much.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Stan plays great on this one too. They all do. Not only did they do over 100 takes, but it took forever to mix. Benmont said that they don't know why no one thought of editing different takes together. But I loved this song and album as a kid. I played this way past saturation level.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

simer4001 wrote:Stan plays great on this one too. They all do. Not only did they do over 100 takes, but it took forever to mix. Benmont said that they don't know why no one thought of editing different takes together. But I loved this song and album as a kid. I played this way past saturation level.
Jst listened to it again. This is a great song!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”