Introduction to Tom Petty

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
admin
Site Admin

Introduction to Tom Petty

Post by admin »

Beyond the obvious "Greatest Hits" is there one CD that you would recommend for those wishing to begin a Tom Petty collection?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Introduction to Tom Petty

Post by JakeK »

Would "Anthology Through the Years" count? This covers a hell of a lot more than "Greatest Hits" but not as much as "Playback".
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

My vote is for Full Moon Fever.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Any album of Tom's that contains this song is perfect IMO

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
lcjones

Post by lcjones »

Aside from She's The One .... Into The Great Wide Open is a great album ... or heck, go for broke and cop Playback! With Playback you get Petty coming and going and everything in between .... ;)
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Another vote for Full Moon Fever...that's how I started listening to TP.
TheWonders

Post by TheWonders »

Full Moon Fever is great, but you should also consider Damn The Torpedoes to get a feel for his earlier material. Also, Wildflowers is a very good album, IMO. I would say this is my top 5:

Damn The Torpedoes
Full Moon Fever
Wildflowers
Long After Dark
Into The Great Wide Open

YMMV. :wink:
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

I would vote for "Full Moon Fever" lots of great songs, one after another (including a Byrds cover) and a lot of emphasis on Rickenbackers, including honorable mention in the "thank you credits" associated with the recording.

Rich F.
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I believe it depends on what era of TP&HB you are wanting to hear. His sound has evolved over the years-not good or bad, but has changed.

Original Tom Petty sound: With MCA and original line up of Tom, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron blair and Stan Lynch

Damn The Torpedoes (Refugee, Don't Do me Like That) '79
Hard Promises (The Waiting, Insider-w/Stevie Nicks) '81

Howie Epstein era: '82-'99

Long After Dark (You Got Lucky, Change of Heart) '82
Echo (Room at the Top, Swingin')'99

Jeff Lynne era/Solo era
Full Moon Fever (I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Runnin' Down a Dream) '89
Into The Great Wide Open (Title track, Learning To Fly) '91
Wildflower '94

These (for me) are highlights....there are some other good releases, but in my opinion these are the cream of his crop! I've seen Petty five times, from "Damn the Torpedoes" up through "Saving Grace". What sets him apart from most rock acts, is his combination of his hits and the addition of obscure rock relics with the Heartbreakers style to give them an edge unlike the original releases. TP&HB are a consumate group of musicians, writers and producers, that know how to entertain a crowd, not to mention their own "love" of instruments vintage, and their lack of fear in using them onstage instead of leaving them at home behind a glass case, or utilizing them in studio situations only.

The "new" rock world could learn a thing or two from this group.....
TheWonders

Post by TheWonders »

frickengruvin wrote:I believe it depends on what era of TP&HB you are wanting to hear. His sound has evolved over the years-not good or bad, but has changed.

Original Tom Petty sound: With MCA and original line up of Tom, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron blair and Stan Lynch

Damn The Torpedoes (Refugee, Don't Do me Like That) '79
Hard Promises (The Waiting, Insider-w/Stevie Nicks) '81

Howie Epstein era: '82-'99

Long After Dark (You Got Lucky, Change of Heart) '82
Echo (Room at the Top, Swingin')'99
While I like parts of Echo, I have always thought that it was one of TP's weaker albums. From that "Howie Epstein" era, I would have chosen Southern Accents as a highlight over Echo although, in all fairness, Southern Accents sometimes sounds the least like TP & TH than any other album they recorded (all that Dave Stewart influence :wink: ).

Jeff Lynne era/Solo era
Full Moon Fever (I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Runnin' Down a Dream) '89
Into The Great Wide Open (Title track, Learning To Fly) '91
Wildflower '94
All of these albums are favorites of mine, although I would give Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers an edge over Into The Great Wide Open.
The "new" rock world could learn a thing or two from this group.....
Agreed. They are a great R&R band live. For more TP indoctrination, I would recommend the documentary/concert DVD "Running Down A Dream".

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”