Rics that define your sound for TP?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Rics that define your sound for TP?

Post by JakeK »

We know TP has all kinds of Rics. He uses (probably) all of them onstage. Which Rics of yours help you define Petty's Ric sound? I find that for the majority of the 6-string Ric work, I can turn to my 1997. For the 12-string work, I look no further than my 660/12TP, although I wonder if a vintage reissue hollowbody (360/12CW or 360/12V64) could do better than the small solidbody.
frickengruvin

Re: Rics that define your sound for TP?

Post by frickengruvin »

The more I listen and play TP&HB material-especially his early stuff, the more I believe they used Fender Strats and Teles in the mix through their Vox or Fender blackfaced amps.

So while I do play along utilizing a 1997 or a modded 36012v64, I will also say that I hear Fender tone in those songs too, and utilize those instruments too.....
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

The early years (1975-1981) were simply this setup:
Tom: '63/'64 Fender Strat, '68/'69 Fender Telecaster with two PAFs and Bigsby (in open "A" tuning), '74? Rickenbacker 362 doubleneck, '65/'66 Rickenbacker 360/12 (mapleglo) (acquired around 1980, replaced doubleneck onstage)
Mike: '50 Fender Telecaster/Broadcaster, (unknown vintage) Gibson Les Paul goldtop with P90s, '63 Rickenbacker 620/12
Amps: Vox Super Beatles

Starting from about 1982, the setup changed a bit:
Tom: '63/'64 Fender Strat, (unknown vintage) Toru '52 reissue Telecaster, '65/'66 Rickenbacker 360/12 (mapleglo)
Mike: '50 Fender Telecaster/Broadcaster, '68/'69 Fender Telecaster with two PAFs and Bigsby, (unknown vintage) Gibson Les Paul goldtop with P90s, '63 Rickenbacker 620/12
Amps: Vox AC-30s

By 1985, Tom let the Rics take the spotlight (this could well be everyone here's favorite setup-era):
Tom: '65 Rickenbacker 365OS, '65/'66 Rickenbacker 360/12 (mapleglo), '66? Rickenbacker 615 modded to look like 325 with capo at first fret for "Don't Come Around Here No More", (unknown vintage) Gibson ES-335 (backup to 365OS)
Mike: '50 Fender Telecaster/Broadcaster, (unknown vintage) Gibson Les Paul goldtop with P90s, '68/'69 Fender Telecaster with two PAFs and Bigsby, '63 Rickenbacker 620/12

I do not know what the band used for the Bob Dylan tour of 1986/'87, if someone could help me, that'd be great

When it got to 1991, Tom and Mike began using more instruments on stage, and Tom let the acoustics see the light:
Tom: (unknown vintage) Toru '52 reissue Telecaster, 60's Fender Jazzmaster, (unknown vintage or model name) Guild 12-string acoustic, '86 Rickenbacker 1997 fireglo, '91 Rickenbacker 660/12TP fireglo
Mike: '89/'90 Rickenbacker 350 MC (two pickups rather than three, neck is a 12k toaster, bridge is a Ric HB-1 humbucker with 325V59 wiring), Gretsch 6119 Tennessean, '89/'90 Ferrington doubleneck, 60's Fender Jazzmaster, '60s Fender Jaguar, '60s Danelectro Single cutaway, '66 Rickenbacker 360/12 fireglo

By 1994, the "Wildflowers" tour, this is where they began to use everything they owned. It could vary from any guitar I've posted here, to new instruments they might have picked up on tour. This tradition has carried on ever since
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

That Goldtop that Mike is using has mini buckers in it, not p90s. The mini buckers do look alot like p90s tho!

Have a looksee....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmmJc7u ... &index=11e]
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

frickengruvin wrote:That Goldtop that Mike is using has mini buckers in it, not p90s. The mini buckers do look alot like p90s tho!

Have a looksee....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmmJc7u ... &index=11e]
I always thought they were P90s with the plastic covers removed. How can you tell they're mini humbuckers?
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I have a friend that is a Les Paul fan(atic)....He owns a '59 Burst, several early to mid 50's Gold Tops, and a couple of these mini humbucked Gold Tops, which is what he usually plays....They do appear to resemble a p90, and I realize the link I attached doesn't give a great shot of them, but if you have a look at the 1st disk of Running Down a Dream (43:33 into the dvd) you can catch a much better view of the pickups. A p90 magnet adjusting screw is typically located in the center of the pick up, while mini buckers have the adjustment screw located at the top of the pick up (clearly visible in the dvd). In my humble opinion the tone coming off those pick ups lends itself more to a humbucker than a p90 to my ears.....As an aside it would also be period correct too, as the GTs coming out at that time were already equipped with them....
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

JakeK wrote:I find that for the majority of the 6-string Ric work, I can turn to my 1997. For the 12-string work, I look no further than my 660/12TP...
...as opposed to any of your other Ricks? :P

The list of what was used when is interesting, but can't be complete, since I've seen video of TP using a black Flying V in the early period, and when I saw him touring in support of Full Moon Fever (great show, by the way) he played what looked like a natural ash Tele for at least part of the show, including, I know, on "Love Is A Long Road" which was the opener.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Mark, the Les Paul you're referring to...was it seen in the "Anything That's Rock & Roll" segment on "Runnin' Down a Dream"?

If so, Tom's Strat, Ron's Jazz Bass used by Ron and Mike's Les Paul were all borrowed. More than likely, they were of the modern vintage (1974-1977), and not the instruments they normally used.

Mike's Les Paul for that segment was a Les Paul Deluxe which came with mini-humbuckers, a guitar favored (well, used and abused, anyway) by Pete Townshend.

Mike's normal Les Paul goldtop (if you watch closeups from shows such as "Chorus", "Rock Goes to College" and "The Old Grey Whistle Test") appears to sport P-90s with the covers removed and a wraparound bridge.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

My two 360 V64's, 12 & 6, do as good a job as i could ask for.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”