George Harrison's "Cheer Down"

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

George Harrison's "Cheer Down"

Post by JakeK »

For those of us who know of the song, George Harrison's "Cheer Down" was written by George and TP. Jeff Lynne and George produced the track, and you can hear Jeff's backing vocal clear at one point of the song.

The backing vocals are, without a doubt, George, TP and Jeff (it's that Wilbury-style of vocals). The slide guitar sounds doubled, and I'm believing it's George and Mike Campbell. Some Campbell-like triplets in the lead guitar are present.

The piano could be Benmont Tench, as I've heard him play like that before.

My bet is that the song was knocked out the same day as TP's "I Won't Back Down". TP, Mike, Jeff and George all play on that song, too. The drummer, though, has me baffled. Could it be Ringo? Jim Keltner? Stan Lynch's drum roadie and (since "Damn the Torpedoes") Phil Jones (who played on the bulk of "Full Moon Fever")?

I've heard various reports that Ringo played drums (in this little biography book I have of him) on "I Won't Back Down", and others that Phil Jones played drums on that track. Since Ringo appeared in the music video for IWBD, I believed it was him. He's probably playing drums on "Cheer Down", too.

I listened to both songs back to back yesterday, and they both have similar feels.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Re: George Harrison's "Cheer Down"

Post by dbailey62 »

It was always my impression that Phil Jones played on the record and that Ringo appeared in the "I Won't Back Down" video only because he was available and living close to the studio.

Obviously there is a nice novelty factor there too.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

It was always my impression that Phil Jones played on the record and that Ringo appeared in the "I Won't Back Down" video only because he was available and living close to the studio.

Obviously there is a nice novelty factor there too.

Edit: On "Cheer Down", I've read that Jim Keltner played drums.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I read in a little biography book about Ringo that he played drums on "Won't Back Down".

Here's some more confusion for the story: The "Full Moon Fever" and "Playback" credits for "Won't Back Down" say Howie Epstein (along with George Harrison and Jeff Lynne) did backing vocals. Tom remembers doing them himself.

The part about Keltner may be true. It's either him or Ringo. I still believe that Mike Campbell provided guitar work to "Cheer Down" and the Wilbury track "Cool Dry Place". The playing on "Cool Dry Place" is nothing like George or Jeff. I also believe Ben provided piano to "Cheer Down" as well.

We can all agree on one thing, though: Stan Lynch didn't provide drums to any track.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”