Tom Petty On Rickenbackers

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
admin
Site Admin

Tom Petty On Rickenbackers

Post by admin »

I have read only a few comments made by Tom Petty of Rickenbackers over the years. This may be in large part due to the fact that we do not travel in the same circles. :lol:

Below he acknowledges the addictive qualities of our favourite instruments and also makes a comment that is somewhat stereotypical when it comes to Rickenbackers being an instrument for rhythm players.

With regard to the former I am sure we can all identify. When it comes to the latter he has certainly used Rickenbackers skillfully as rhythm instruments but may have sold them short when it comes to lead playing. Your comments? Are there other quotes that we could add to this list?
From The History Of Rock 'N' Roll
Time-Life/Warner Video Series
Video #7: "Guitar Heroes"
"I love them as works of art and I love the sound they make. Mike Campbell and myself have never really gotten over this disease. I mean, we still scour "The Recycler" to find vintage guitars. It's...it's one of my...I guess it's almost a vice, now, because...we just love them."
From Rickenbacker Book (1994) Bacon and Day: Page 5
"I'm essentially a rhythm player, and you can do that with a Rickenbacker. It's not really a lead instrument, it's more of a rhythm guitarist's kind of thing."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
tyarbrough

Re: Tom Petty On Rickenbackers

Post by tyarbrough »

Here's a comment from Mike Campbell in the July 2006 Guitar Player Magazine:

You guys certainly helped revive the Rickenbacker sound. What enticed you about those guitars and their unique tones?
A lot of the music I grew up with and was inspired by - from the Byrds to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones - was played on Rickenbackers. Probably the first person I ever saw playing live was John Lennon, and I always loved his sound. But I think what really turned my head around was hearing the Byrds on the radio. That sweet, ringing, meloncholy sound of the Rickenbacker 12-string really touched me, and I've always sought that sound and tried to incorporate it into whatever I was doing.
I've also heard Petty recount that he offered up his Rickenbacker to Campbell when he first invited him into the band...that Campbell was playing some Japanese guitar that made Petty think "this kid must be terrible" before he heard Campbell play.
You were the moon and sun. You're just a loaded gun now....Tom Petty
2000 620 FG VP-2002 360/12 MG VP-2004 330 FG
Troy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Troy: Thanks for this very nice quote. It is hard not to be swept away by the golden scintillating sound of McGuinn. Certainly an argument for Rickenbacker lead playing to my way of thinking.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
tyarbrough

Post by tyarbrough »

Thank you Peter. Perhaps it's also a matter of semantics...a shredder wouldn't think of McGuinn's 12 string leads as "lead guitar" per se.
You were the moon and sun. You're just a loaded gun now....Tom Petty
2000 620 FG VP-2002 360/12 MG VP-2004 330 FG
Troy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your excellent point is taken Troy. Lead playing is different things for different artists. We have discussed something along these lines before with regard to the profile of the fretboard of Rickenbacker guitars. While most styles can be played on a Rickenbacker, the question that has been raised in this regard is does the player make the guitar or the guitar make the player? Tom Petty's request to Rickenbacker for a wider fretboard may answer this question in part, albeit perhaps only for him.

An announcement of the Tom Petty 660/12 can be seen here.

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

A self proclaimed student of the McGuinn school of Rick 12'ing, I always think of that style as "Lead Rhythm" if that makes any sense.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jason: I do think it makes sense when one considers that his fingering seems to have developed durig his banjo days with folk groups. Perhaps others will chime in here.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Peter,

There are a variety of lead styles. John Lennon for example played a rather passive, perhaps somewhat percussive style on "You Can't Do That" Many guitar players develop a more finger picking or flat picking lead style. Then of course there are those of us who shred and or play blues and jazz. There are many many more styles, too numerous to mention.

Personally I can play almost anything on my 360v64 and my 350 but if the truth be known I will often reach for another guitar for certain sounds. Yes that right - sounds. My choice has nothing to do with playability. I can play lead on virtually any guitar given a few moments to acquaint myself.

I have recorded very bluesy leads with just an amp and no outboard effects with a Rickenbacker and I have also recorded Rock and Roll Chuck Berry style leads. I believe that they are much more versatile than most are willing to give credit. I will concede that they are not always the most comfortable fret board to bend strings on, that is of course unless you are willing to compromise with the setup and raise the action just a bit.

I hope that this in part at least, answers your question.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brian: Thanks for this well-crafted response. I am leaning in the same direction and to my way of thinking you have put forth the position that guitarist makes the guitar.

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I play my Ricks like I would any of my other guitars. I make the guitar do what I want it to, rather than the other way around. Ricks have their own unique tonal characteristics and quirks, but I've found I can get the guitar to do what I want it to. A familiarity with the way the guitar "works" helps. In the past week I've even used it on the rather heavy/crunchy sounding "Interstate Love Song" (Stone Temple Pilots) with Joey, Rich, and a couple of the other locals. It wasn't my personal choice for a number, but each of us gets to pick a couple songs, and we all like and respect each other enough to "play nice". :mrgreen:

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”