Anything That's Rock & Roll

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Anything That's Rock & Roll

Post by JakeK »

Here's a somewhat obscure TP song, which harks back to the band's first record. "Anything That's Rock and Roll" was the band's first big hit in England, making them stars over there.

The original recording features lead vocals by Tom with harmonies and backup vocals from Benmont, Stan Lynch and Phil Seymour. However, Benmont does not provide any keyboards on the track. Mike and Tom were both using heavily distorted guitars. Tom's guitar was his/Mike's '64 Strat through a Fender Super Six Reverb, while Mike was using either his Fender Broadcaster or his Les Paul goldtop.

When performed live, Benmont played his Hammond organ and his Wulitzer electric piano. Ron Blair also sang the response line with Benmont.

While (sadly) not a track on the new "Live Anthology", the song still remains a rocking favorite of mine. The best version of that song comes from the group's July 1977 appearance on Rockpalast. The band is all high on something, but they manage to bang it out with this:

beatlefreak

Re: Anything That's Rock & Roll

Post by beatlefreak »

Good video. Thanks, Jake.
Ka is a wheel.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Did you see the version of this song on the "Runnin' Down a Dream" documentary? A great live version form Top of the Pops. As much as a like Ron Blair, Howie added so much depth to the vocal arrangements when he joined the band.
harley

Post by harley »

Absolutely great song and one of my favorites for (oh, ****) decades now. That song has aged well and still gives me that smart-aleck teenage feeling when I play it or hear it! ;)

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”