The many faces of Howie Epstein

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

The many faces of Howie Epstein

Post by JakeK »

In 1982, Ron Blair left the Heartbreakers due to stress in the music business. His replacement was Howie Epstein, who immediately began work with the band on "Long After Dark".

"The Live Anthology" shows how versatile of a singer Howie was. Performances from '82-'83 show he is not only able to replicate Ron Blair's original basslines, but able to improvise a little bit.

These videos I'm about to show how different Howie began to look from his first days in the band right up to a show he did before his death (Tom does not feel strongly about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performance with Howie, and there appears to be no footage of it)

This first video was shot in the studio in 1982, recording the track from "Long After Dark", "Finding Out":

1991 finds us listening to "Free Fallin" during "Touring the Great Wide Open", Howie looks slightly different

This next video dates from 1994, on Saturday Night Live performing "You Don't Know How It Feels". He's starting to look even more different here:

Now, we're in 1999, performing "Room at the Top". Notice he's playing bass mostly with his thumb, and looks like he doesn't want to be there:

This is the last video footage available of Howie before his death, performing a slightly extended version of "I Won't Back Down". He can barely be heard, vocal and bass wise

Howie was an amazing musician, but like a bunch of Petty fans, I think it was great that Ron ended up returning.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Re: The many faces of Howie Epstein

Post by simer4001 »

Room at the Top: He doesn't look disinterested he looks disconnected.
I Won't Back Down: I would be willing to bet we can't hear him is because of the mix, but he definitely looks very weak.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”