The Mike Campbell Appreciation thread

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

The Mike Campbell Appreciation thread

Post by JakeK »

Since 1968, Mike Campbell has been playing guitar and plays the coolest leads that seem one with the music. Mike isn't a show off about how he plays and stands in one spot when he solos, unlike Jimmy Page or Pete Townshend who move about and put a lot of hystrionics into their playing(I'm not saying they aren't great, but they don't stand still like Mike does)

Mike is an awesome lead guitarist, his fine solo in "Runnin' Down a Dream" emphasizes this:

He can play very quickly, demonstrated in "Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)"

He is clever with an Ebow, demonstrated in "Luna"

And his slide playing is phenomenal, demonstrated in "I Won't Back Down" and JJ Cale's, "I'd Like to Love You Baby"

He is also an amazing Blues guitarist and can make a very good country twang.

Mike is one of my favorite guitarists, and this thread is to show how much we love Mike. What are some of your favorite Mike solos? I posted all of mine!
8mileshigher

Re: The Mike Campbell Appreciation thread

Post by 8mileshigher »

He is absolutely one of my favorite guitarists.... always plays very tasteful leads and fills... in an unassuming manner. 8) 8) 8) Nothing show-off or plastic about him or his elegant style.

Probably "style" is a great word to decribe MC.

Favorites ??? --- gee, I've seen the Heartbreakers several times over the last thirty years and anytime Mike has a Ric in his hands, it is totally awesome !!! :D The only thing better then Mike playing a Ric, is when he is on stage complimented by another Ric player (like TP) 8)
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

I love his style, and his demeanor as well. I bought the Tom Petty DVD documentary, and it's refreshing to see how he has accepted his role so well. Probably one of the greatest sidemen Tom Petty could've ever asked for. I think Tom Pretty often voices how crucial he is as a collaborator.
rickosound

Post by rickosound »

Here's another good one...

Tom and Matthew
Mykkus

Post by Mykkus »

Does it get any better than Mike?

Just an amazing player. Tastiest tones and solos on the planet.
GATSBY

Post by GATSBY »

FYI His band The Dirty Knobs are playing this weekend in Tarzana CA at COZYS http://www.cozysblues.com/

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”