Are Tom Petty and the boys underrated/obscure?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Re: Are Tom Petty and the boys underrated/obscure?

Post by simer4001 »

My youngest son, who was born in 1997, is learning guitar. The first 3 songs he learned are THE WAITING, AMERICAN GIRL and FREE FALLIN'.

Obscure? I don't think so.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

simer4001 wrote:My youngest son, who was born in 1997, is learning guitar. The first 3 songs he learned are THE WAITING, AMERICAN GIRL and FREE FALLIN'.

Obscure? I don't think so.

That's cool !!! 8) 8) 8)
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

paologregorio wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:Are they underrated/obscure? NO.

Should you deny yourself the pleasure of knowing someone who isn't familiar with them? NO.
+1 :)
Personally, I think quite the opposite, a bit overrated and hardly obscure. They just aren't my cup of tea, so don't think this is a slag session on TP. JAKE-LEAVE THOSE 9 YEAR OLD GIRLS ALONE ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

whojamfan wrote:JAKE-LEAVE THOSE 9 YEAR OLD GIRLS ALONE ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to work at a camp one of them attended, and I'm friends with the boss, they added the boss, found me, added me. I wrote something about Tom Petty or Ringo Starr and all they replied was "WHO?????????????" end of story.
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

One of my favorite bands... Classic Rock.. The kind of music that a band can play live...

Still touring after 30 years .. to sold out shows.. large venues.. ... ( a new album coming out right now.. and a tour this summer ) These guys just love to play.

and the fun thing is: you absolutely see fans there from 3 generations... I'm 53.. and I see people there older than me... and all the way down to teens.

as noted in earlier posts.. great musicians.. and amazing they ran into each other about 18 years old ( in Tom, Mike and Benmonts case ).. within just a couple years.. Ron and Stan. Steve Ferrone came aboard after Stan left.. and Scott is so multi talented.

Can't wait to see them - at the Gorge venue near Seattle Washington. in just a couple months!
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Yea Jake,

I agree with these guys. If you can find a girl your age who's into Tom Petty, go after her. She'll be interesting and adventurous. And you won't be subjected to hip-hop when you go on dates.

Manta
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

manta wrote:Yea Jake,

I agree with these guys. If you can find a girl your age who's into Tom Petty, go after her. She'll be interesting and adventurous. And you won't be subjected to hip-hop when you go on dates.

Manta
Just passin' thru in this thread---could not agree more......TP and the HB'ers are probably the last great American band, and hip hop is NOT music.....go GET that gal..... 8)
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
harley

Post by harley »

As a band, I wouldn't call them under-rated or obscure, but I think you could easily make the case that, as individuals, they're under-rated. There have been many times where I've said my favorite lead guitar player is Mike Campbell and people will just respond with a blank stare. Add to that the fact that Tom Petty has said people refer to his songs as "simple" as kind of a subtle put down. I think writing "simple" is much harder than Tom Petty makes it look.

So, yes, you could say there is a bit of under-ratedness going on there.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

When people talk about their favorite lead guitarist, they'll normally say, "Eric Clapton", "Jimmy Page", "Jimi Hendrix", etc. Not knocking those guys, because they are pretty amazing players, but no-one ever looks at Mike as a great player, which he is. My first guitar teacher actually thinks Mike is sloppy in his playing, but if anyone looks at my Mike Campbell appreciation thread in this TP section, you will note that Campbell can do so much and all with a vibe that makes him one with the music. Since 1968, he's done nothing but practice the guitar. Props to him for that!
collin

Post by collin »

JakeK wrote:When people talk about their favorite lead guitarist, they'll normally say, "Eric Clapton", "Jimmy Page", "Jimi Hendrix", etc. Not knocking those guys, because they are pretty amazing players, but no-one ever looks at Mike as a great player, which he is.

Lots of factors there, but an important one is the period. All those guys above became household names in the 60's, when the idea of guitar-oriented rock and blues became the new standard, and they were all groundbreaking guitarists in that era.

It can be argued that Mike Campbell is a great guitarist because of these other guitarists, as a student of them (like all of us).
Not to take away from the fact that he is indeed an excellent guitarist....
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

collin wrote:.... he (Mike Campbell) is indeed an excellent guitarist....
+1 on that.
I really like MC's style --- subtle and tasteful licks; Never overbearing - just the right amount of "seasoning" for every song.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”