TP...exactly 30 years ago today

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

TP...exactly 30 years ago today

Post by JakeK »

Here's a website that has some great recordings of TP and the boys live.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/tom-petty ... tbreakers/

The site includes some great concerts from '78-'79 that were not highlighted on "Live Anthology". The 6 March 1980 concert at Hammersmith Odeon really shows the boys in action.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: TP...exactly 30 years ago today

Post by JakeK »

No one has ANYTHING to say about these concerts?? :shock:

I think that these gems really show the young TP and Heartbreakers in action.

The March 6, 1980 concert at Hammersmith Odeon is my favorite. "Even the Losers", "Here Comes My Girl" and "Wild One Forever" are currently available on "The Live Anthology" while "Stories We Could Tell" is on "Pack Up the Plantation" and "Something Else" is on "Playback". The next night, however, isn't so great.

Shame that the Madison Square Garden and Paradise shows were not covered on the "Live Anthology" as they were both very good, in their own rights.

Hopefully, there are the complete list of shows from Irvine Meadows and Cow Palace shows of '83 and The Fillmore Shows of '99.
harley

Post by harley »

I'm listening to the 1979 Madison Square Garden show. I had tickets to see them in Memphis that year (I think) and missed the show when my brother was hit by a car in Knoxville and I had to go out there. I don't think I ever truly forgave him for that. ;)

I still think Anything That's Rock 'N' Roll is one of his great unknown classics (and a blast to play in a cover band).
harley

Post by harley »

Thanks for sharing the link to the vault. Not only have I listened to Tom Petty but also some 70s era UFO and and a 1976 concert by Rod Stewart that has an interesting take on Maggie May (a little Reggae interlude toward the end) as well as a fairly good version of Get Back.

UFO was one of those bands that was just incredible live and there was a core group of fans among my friends.

I think I can start planning for many hours searching through the vault. ;)
harley

Post by harley »

I listened to the Hammersmith Odeon show from the vault and there was a song, "Girls Are Made For Loving", that I had never heard before, by them or anyone else. It was a really cool version. Great stuff, great vault.

I once heard that the best concert possible would be Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on one stage and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band on another and the two of them doing cover songs back and forth. I wouldn't mind listening to something like that.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”