Who's ready for "Mojo"?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Who's ready for "Mojo"?

Post by JakeK »

Tomorrow, the new album, "Mojo" comes out. I'm excited as this shows a different side of the Heartbreakers. Everything recorded completely live at their rehearsal room (which the band refers to as "The Clubhouse").

This album is notable in that for the first time on a Heartbreakers' record, Scott plays harmonica. The songs that featured harmonica when Scott was in the band, "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "You Don't Know How It Feels", "A Higher Place", "Zero from Outer Space", "California", "Swingin" and "Big Weekend" were recorded with Tom on harp, but when four of those songs were played live, Scott played harmonica because Tom "[had] enough to do without dealing with the harmonica" onstage.

Last week or so on the band's YouTube page, a little documentary was posted up talking about "Mojo". Here it is, I've never been more excited about a TP before! (Actually, scratch that, I was more excited about "Live Anthology"):

And should the link not be able to be embedded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJeUhUz70E

One more day! :D

PS: Collin, I know you're not that big a TP fan, but the video is worth watching in that Mike mentions his use of his '59 Lester on the whole album (he says he "based the album off that one new guitar") and they do a nice close-up of it.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Who's ready for "Mojo"?

Post by jimk »

Alright, I think this is one album I'm really going to enjoy. I really like TP's attitude toward his music, Life, the Universe & Everything.
JimK
collin

Post by collin »

JakeK wrote:

PS: Collin, I know you're not that big a TP fan, but the video is worth watching in that Mike mentions his use of his '59 Lester on the whole album (he says he "based the album off that one new guitar") and they do a nice close-up of it.

Yup, I had already seen it, actually. I like this new material----it's far grittier than older Petty, which I like.

Plus i'd watch any Petty video for the guitars alone! :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Excellent! 8)
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Cool! Can't wait to hear it!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
collin

Post by collin »

TPATH were tonights guests on the Jim Ladd show at local rock station KLOS, live in the studio.

They played songs from Mojo and the live anthology, and I gotta say.....there is some sweet riffage in some of the Mojo songs.
I use the word riffage acutely---they were full on mutton-chop-growing, denim-jacket-wearing, headbangingly awesome Zepplinesque riffs.

Sweeeeeet. 8)
harley

Post by harley »

I'll be picking my copy up at lunch today and I expect it to dominate the playlist for the foreseeable future. ;)

On a side note, what I wouldn't give for a pass to the clubhouse.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

collin wrote:I use the word riffage acutely---they were full on mutton-chop-growing, denim-jacket-wearing, headbangingly awesome Zepplinesque riffs.
Well, Col, a review somewhere of "I Shoulda Known It" claims that Campbell's unleashing his inner Jimmy Page. He (Campbell) isn't hybrid-picking when he plays fast like he normally does. I'm sure Page doesn't hybrid-pick when he plays fast.

In two hours, I'm off to buy the record. Whether it's Best Buy or Barnes and Noble, it's bound to be good. I was listening to tracks from "Highway Companion" last night and some "Last DJ" tracks this morning. I can safely say I'm ready for "Mojo". It's gonna rock! :D
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Cool stuff; good to see all the excitement/activity on the TP&HB front.

I lke MC's 310 style 350 model with the bridge B1; pretty cool.

I'm alway's up for mo' jo'; I like to start my day with at least two cups... :oops: :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

harley wrote:
yeah....but that pales in comparison to what i'd do for a Klondike bar. :)
harley

Post by harley »

collin wrote:
harley wrote:
yeah....but that pales in comparison to what i'd do for a Klondike bar. :)
Even better, a klondike bar in the clubhouse (but not TOO near the equipment). ;)
harley

Post by harley »

I'm working from home today and I have Mojo on in the background. On a side note, I have never resented a conference call quite as much as the one that's coming up and will require me to pause the CD. :evil:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Got it about two hours ago. Favorite songs so far: "Candy" and "I Shoulda Known It". Two possibilities for my future set lists... Probably the most bluesy Petty's ever gotten. Love this album :D
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

Picked it up today during lunch...rocked out on the way home with the windows down, roof open and "I Should Have Known It" blastin' from the Bostons. Yeah, it's got mojo. 8)
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

harley wrote:I'm working from home today and I have Mojo on in the background. ...
That's exactly what I'm doing today. Yesterday, I listened it at the office (through headphones) while doing some research and preparing a brief.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”