Just saw Runnin' Down A Dream DVD

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Just saw Runnin' Down A Dream DVD

Post by jdogric12 »

Loved it. Learned a lot. Haven't yet gotten to the bonus features. Who else saw it?
rickaddict

Re: Just saw Runnin' Down A Dream DVD

Post by rickaddict »

I'm pretty sure I did, but it's been a while. I remember it being very good also.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Bought it the day it came out. Best documentary ever! If you loved that and want to learn more about Damn the Torpedoes, might I suggest this:
http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Petty-Classic ... 075&sr=1-5
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Running Down a Dream is an excellant documentary and so is the book that accompany's the DVD.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have the DVD, great, fantastic, etc.; it really is. 8)
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Its a very good documentary. The only part I wish was clearer was the issues with Howie. They spoke a lot about his problems around ECHO and then skipped forward to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Ron was back in the Heartbreakers before Howie passed, correct?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Perhaps they wanted to keep the negative stuff about their late friend to a minimum. Dunno. Would be interesting to know.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I wasn't looking for dirt. It just seemed the transition back to Ron wasn't clear.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

The story of Howie is better explained in the book Conversations with Tom Petty. There was a point where Howie was fired before Ron came back that they were without a permanent bass player, giving the role to Scott Thurston live and to Tom in the studio. Ron came back for the last two songs of Last DJ in April 2002. The R&R Hall of Fame gig was done when they were bass player-less.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Fantastic 4 hours of a great band. Just saw it yesterday on Netflix. Learned a lot, and could relate to soooo many of those stories and situations.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I also thought it was great how they didn't trash talk the former members and tastefully handled situations on the personal levels. Class act.
collin

Post by collin »

whojamfan wrote:I also thought it was great how they didn't trash talk the former members and tastefully handled situations on the personal levels. Class act.
+1

I'm honestly not a Tom Petty fan (which I finally realized is because I can't stand Tom's singing voice, made obvious to me when I heard Eddie Vedder singing Petty songs in this documentary. Much better!).

But man what a great story and documentary. Lots of interesting details about an amazing music career. It seems like they hit it big at just the right time and everything just fell into their lap. Then to hear the struggles and legal battles with the record industry, which I wasn't aware of.

Great watch, especially on Netflix.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”