Tom Petty cover - You Wreck Me

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Tom Petty cover - You Wreck Me

Post by beatbyrd »

Hopefully, that's not what I did to the song..... It's the 3rd song down on this page: http://beatbyrd.com/tom_petty
As always, constructive comments/suggestions are welcome. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
analogpackrat

Re: Tom Petty cover - You Wreck Me

Post by analogpackrat »

Nice job! This is one of my favorite TPATH rockers.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
caliban335

Post by caliban335 »

What is the basic chord sequence for this song? Thanks in advance.
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Lovely Job!

One of my favourite Petty rockers and you've done it justice. You've got the dynamics down really well (and there are quite a few subtle chnages in this song) and the singing is really great too.

What the hell is it with TP anyway? I can only use the term "alchemical" to describe the way he crafts great songs from apparent base materials.

They're the same chords that I've been able to play since I was about 12 but he somehow manages to combine them with melodies that result in catchy, memorable and powerful tunes.There's no obvious flashiness or fancy stuff going on there - it's more like a great card trick than a pyrotechnic laser show - but that's what makes them all the more magical to me.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Pumpkinhead wrote:Lovely Job!

One of my favourite Petty rockers and you've done it justice. You've got the dynamics down really well (and there are quite a few subtle chnages in this song) and the singing is really great too.

What the hell is it with TP anyway? I can only use the term "alchemical" to describe the way he crafts great songs from apparent base materials.

They're the same chords that I've been able to play since I was about 12 but he somehow manages to combine them with melodies that result in catchy, memorable and powerful tunes.There's no obvious flashiness or fancy stuff going on there - it's more like a great card trick than a pyrotechnic laser show - but that's what makes them all the more magical to me.
You have perfectly stated what I have always believed about TP. He's a highly skilled wizard/magician. He turns lead into gold on a regular basis. Thanks for the kind words about my cover. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I actually listened to your cover of "You Wreck Me" right before SCARF, Tom. I liked it, but I would have used the 12-string and an overdriven 6-string for the rhythm part in addition to the Ric 6-string, a solid-body with bridge pickup and lots of distortion for the solo.

The way the guitarists in the Heartbreakers do it live is like this:
Tom - '60s Telecaster with Ibanez Tubesceamer, tuned to "F"
Mike - SG Junior or Les Paul Junior with overdrive, tuned to "F"
Scott Thurston - '66, possibly '65 Rickenbacker 330/12 MG, compressed, tuned to F

Of course, your rendition was awesome. Retained the luster of the original, but had your own stamp on it with those incredible vocals.

Next time you're doing a Petty cover, let me know, I want to help!
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

JakeK wrote:Next time you're doing a Petty cover, let me know, I want to help!
OK, Jake....... how close can you get (tone, speed, and accuracy) to the lead parts in "American Girl", especially starting at around 3:14 on the outro? It's gotta be all 3 or else I can handle it. The other question is..... do you have access to a reasonably high quality 24 bit recording facility? If we've got Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes..... then let's try that song. If the last answer is "No", then you've got to make a side trip at the next SCARF. I live about 25 minutes away from the Starting Gate. Whadahya think? Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

beatbyrd wrote:
JakeK wrote:Next time you're doing a Petty cover, let me know, I want to help!
OK, Jake....... how close can you get (tone, speed, and accuracy) to the lead parts in "American Girl", especially starting at around 3:14 on the outro? It's gotta be all 3 or else I can handle it. The other question is..... do you have access to a reasonably high quality 24 bit recording facility? If we've got Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes..... then let's try that song. If the last answer is "No", then you've got to make a side trip at the next SCARF. I live about 25 minutes away from the Starting Gate. Whadahya think? Tom
I can get the tone to the lead parts just fine. I've got a '60s Telecaster that can nail the tone of Mike's Broadcaster similar to that of the one on The Live Anthology. I can't play the leads at all, Mike's way too fast. A side trip at the next SCARF...I guess we'll have to try that. 25 mins, huh? It's probably less than the drive Mom and I made from downtown Los Angeles to the Starting Gate.
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I know I read/heard somewhere that Mike Campbell wrote You Wreck Me....maybe it was Tom who mentioned it on Anthology.....

GREAT song though!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

frickengruvin wrote:I know I read/heard somewhere that Mike Campbell wrote You Wreck Me....maybe it was Tom who mentioned it on Anthology.....

GREAT song though!
The music, yes. With Tom and Mike's songs they write together, Mike will usually write the music, give it on a tape to Tom, who then writes the words. That's how it's been done since '77, according to the AWESOME book Conversations with Tom Petty by Paul Zollo, which is probably where it quoted from.

"Runnin' Down a Dream" was an entirely different story. Tom and Jeff Lynne had written the words and were finding some music to put it to. When they heard Mike playing the famous riff, the music came to them. In other words, all Mike wrote was the riff and his solo.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Great song, great cover!
:D 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I believe You Wreck Me is similar to Heart Of The Matter (which ultimately went to Don Henley), which of course Campbell wrote... I'll pay some due diligence to quotes and follow up.....

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”