Groovy Beatles pictures

The history and music of the Fab Four
brammy

Re: Groovy Beatles pictures

Post by brammy »

iiipopes wrote:
brammy wrote:
beat-gen-70378.jpg
It is fitting and proper that Brian Epstein went to see and meet the Beatles on Advent Sunday, December 3, 1961. On a liturgical calendar, the first Sunday in Advent is considered the start, or the "New Year's" of the church calendar. I was born five days later, about 8 hours after the new moon.
.................. fitting and proper? ........... on Advent Sunday, December 3, 1961?????? ............................ so bloody what? If the meeting had taken place one day later would you read in some great significance that it took place on xmas eve??? .... wow, imagine if it hat taken place on Dec 25!!!! I bet that would have just blown your mind, eh?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

brammy wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
brammy wrote:
beat-gen-70378.jpg
It is fitting and proper that Brian Epstein went to see and meet the Beatles on Advent Sunday, December 3, 1961. On a liturgical calendar, the first Sunday in Advent is considered the start, or the "New Year's" of the church calendar. I was born five days later, about 8 hours after the new moon.
.................. fitting and proper? ........... on Advent Sunday, December 3, 1961?????? ............................ so bloody what? If the meeting had taken place one day later would you read in some great significance that it took place on xmas eve??? .... wow, imagine if it hat taken place on Dec 25!!!! I bet that would have just blown your mind, eh?
Oh, come on. Don't you like coincidences in life? You are absolutely, completely and disgustingly out of line to jump on me. I have done nothing to you. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it, or post it, or do anything else for that matter. If you can't appreciate other person's posts then you are not worthy to own a Rickenbacker and you should sell it and leave the forum. This is the kind of **** I have to put up with on Talk Bass, the Fender Forum, and other ne'er-do-well places that do nothing to alleviate negative stereotypes. Get off of it. Now.

The members of this forum each have their opinions. Strong ones. But everybody else is respectful, except you, in referring to them. If I want to draw a coincidence, and you disagree with it, that is one thing. Disagreement noted. But you are completely out of line to denigrate and ridicule the post. Remember that unlike the Government, to whom you can say what you want, this is a forum that we all post at the owners' and moderators' pleasure.

At that time in England, everybody functioned according to the Church of England calendar, since that was, and still is, the "established" or "official" religion (The history as to how this came about fills an entire semester of church history for those who go to seminary). Indeed, even the Courts' legal calendar referred to the beginning of court in the fall as Michaelmas term, or the feast of St. Michael the Archangel, wielding the sword. (I was an intern to a barrister in the summer of 1985) John Lennon was confirmed as a Church of England communicant as a teenager. This is the culture out of which the Beatles emerged. Deal with it.
brammy

Post by brammy »

>>>>Oh, come on. Don't you like coincidences in life?

Coincidences are fine.... they happen all the time. But you didn't present in that way..... your presentation was religious.

>>>>>You are absolutely, completely and disgustingly out of line to jump on me.

"disgustingly"??? aren't you getting a little hyperbolic there, Sparky?

>>>>If you can't appreciate other person's posts then you are not worthy to own a Rickenbacker and you should sell it and leave the forum.

HAAAAAAA..... should I sell all 4 of them?.... not bloody likely.

>>>>>>This is the kind of **** I have to put up with on Talk Bass, the Fender Forum, and other ne'er-do-well places that do nothing to alleviate negative stereotypes. Get off of it. Now.

There's an old story.... if someone calls you an ***, you can just ignore it..... but if people are constantly calling you an ***, you might consider getting a saddle.

>>>>>>The members of this forum each have their opinions. Strong ones. But everybody else is respectful, except you, in referring to them.

I'm the ONLY disrespectful person on RickResesource?.... Are you really sure about that?.... or are you just running at the mouth?

>>>If I want to draw a coincidence, and you disagree with it, that is one thing.

As I said, you were not just drawing a coincidence.... you were making a religious claim in that you said it was "fitting and proper that Brian Epstein went to see and meet the Beatles on Advent Sunday, December 3, 1961". A coincidence to Dec 3 would be "wow... and Ozzy Osbourne was also born on Dec 3"... which he was. No, you were not just drawing a coincidence and for you to try to say so is disingenuous and just an effort to back away from your original statement.

>>>>>>>>>>Disagreement noted. But you are completely out of line to denigrate and ridicule the post.

If I upset you then I am sorry for doing that.... however I think you are getting your knickers in a knot over very little.

>>>>>>Remember that unlike the Government, to whom you can say what you want, this is a forum that we all post at the owners' and moderators' pleasure.

Actually, you cannot say whatever you want to the government.... if you really want to put that to the test you will find men with guns knocking at your door..... but I digress.

>>>>>>At that time in England, everybody functioned according to the Church of England calendar, since that was, and still is, the "established" or "official" religion (The history as to how this came about fills an entire semester of church history for those who go to seminary).

Yea..... everyone basically follows the calendar. I got that much.

>>>>Indeed, even the Courts' legal calendar referred to the beginning of court in the fall as Michaelmas term, or the feast of St. Michael the Archangel, wielding the sword.

To repeat myself..... So bloody what?

>>>>>>>>(I was an intern to a barrister in the summer of 1985) John Lennon was confirmed as a Church of England communicant as a teenager. This is the culture out of which the Beatles emerged. Deal with it.+

The "culture out of which the Beatles emerged" is defined by MANY things.... you seem to only focus on the religious.... which was my point to begin with.... you were making a religious claim and the relevance to the development of the Beatles is FAR from clear. If you can draw that link... describe the significance of Advent Sunday to Lennon or any of the others in that situation or ANY relationship between that religious date and the Beatle events of that time, then you might have something. Otherwise, all you have is a simple coincidence ... one of millions of coincidences .... that you are trying to build into something else, specifically something religious. Deal with it.
brammy

Post by brammy »

beat-gen-7001.jpg
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Brammy, I am not making any religious claims. I am setting forth what the culture is and was, whether you like it or not. Remember that John and Paul met at a church picnic. You are still out of line to ridicule. I do deal with it. You obviously don't.
brammy

Post by brammy »

I'm not out to ridicule and I'm sorry if you perceived it that way .... I am simply observing that you are trying to put some significance on a random coincidence and you have failed to demonstrate that significance. For instance, if you had said that "Brian Epstein was Catholic and he specifically chose the period of Advent for his meeting with the Beatles", that would have been very interesting. But to just point out that it was that particular time of year without making any further connection is meaningless. You could just have easily said that the famous meeting took place only days before "The Great Christmas Pudding Race".... and that statement would be true, but without some tie-in to the meeting, it is meaningless.

In a similar way, you say "Remember that John and Paul met at a church picnic".......... yea............... and?...........what is the significance? You are throwing things out there without any followup .... without any development of the thought that would somehow make a meaningful statement or observation. I could have said "Remember that John and the Quarrymen were playing on the back of a truck" ......... yea............... and? ........... what would be the significance of that statement without some further development of the thought? None.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

brammy wrote:I'm not out to ridicule and I'm sorry if you perceived it that way .... I am simply observing that you are trying to put some significance on a random coincidence and you have failed to demonstrate that significance. For instance, if you had said that "Brian Epstein was Catholic and he specifically chose the period of Advent for his meeting with the Beatles", that would have been very interesting. But to just point out that it was that particular time of year without making any further connection is meaningless. You could just have easily said that the famous meeting took place only days before "The Great Christmas Pudding Race".... and that statement would be true, but without some tie-in to the meeting, it is meaningless.

In a similar way, you say "Remember that John and Paul met at a church picnic".......... yea............... and?...........what is the significance? You are throwing things out there without any followup .... without any development of the thought that would somehow make a meaningful statement or observation. I could have said "Remember that John and the Quarrymen were playing on the back of a truck" ......... yea............... and? ........... what would be the significance of that statement without some further development of the thought? None.
You are extrapolating without reason, rationality, or logical progressive thought. I merely pointed out coincidences that were interesting to me.
brammy

Post by brammy »

whatever

111JOHN.png
lordblackmore

Post by lordblackmore »

brammy wrote: .................. fitting and proper? ........... on Advent Sunday, December 3, 1961?????? ............................ so bloody what? If the meeting had taken place one day later would you read in some great significance that it took place on xmas eve??? .... wow, imagine if it hat taken place on Dec 25!!!! I bet that would have just blown your mind, eh?
There's no reason for this kind of response.
brammy

Post by brammy »

beatles-gen-089a.jpg
brammy

Post by brammy »

beat-gen-70404.jpg
beat-gen-70407.jpg
beat-gen-70406.jpg
beat-gen-70405.jpg
brammy

Post by brammy »

beat-gen-70411.jpg
beat-gen-70410.jpg
beat-gen-70409.jpg
beat-gen-70408.jpg
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Nice photos! What year were they taken?
brammy

Post by brammy »

Not sure .... all are late 50s except that the 2nd one might be 1960 or even early '61.
beat-gen-70413.jpg
brammy

Post by brammy »

beat-gen-70414.jpg
beat-gen-70415.jpg
beat-gen-70416.jpg
beat-gen-70417.jpg

Return to “Beatles' Forum”