Re: Groovy Beatles pictures

Post by bassduke49 »

iiipopes wrote:
brammy wrote:
The attachment plane1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment plane2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment plane4.jpg is no longer available
The attachment plane3.jpg is no longer available
Forgive me, but what I notice is how large the airplane windows are. As the aviation industry found out from the Comet disasters, windows have way too much risk of blowing out. Even though the actual cause was determined to be the square-ish corners that were prone to too much mechanical stress, and the first revisions were to round out the windows, "view" or "panoramic" windows were also found to be structurally weak at altitude. That is why all modern jet plane windows are small, have rounded corners, and are uniform. We are lucky John, Paul, George, Ringo, and all the support staff and crew made the flights over, back, and here and there on their global tours without incident!!!
Pretty sure the large oval windows belong to the Vickers Viscount (I'm an aviation nut as well). The Viscount was one of the first turboprop aircraft in passenger service. Unless I am mistaken, it wasn't used at particularly high altitudes or for long distances. Although I an not an engineer, it seems to me that circular or elliptical structures are inherently stronger than unbraced rectangular structures. In any case, I don't recall the shape or size of the Viscount's windows being a problem. Here's a shot of a Beatles-vintage Viscount in BEA markings:
g-aohk_bea_vickers_800_diecast_scale_by_aeroclassics_400.jpg
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
brammy

Post by brammy »

In the remote possibility you haven't seen this yet
brammy

Post by brammy »

Every guitarist knows that the best acoustics are to be found in the bathroom
george bathroom.jpg
brammy

Post by brammy »

Great alternate version
brammy

Post by brammy »

Fake, but very well done

pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Re: Beatles onboard aircraft.
The shot with the large oval windows is probably from onboard the Vickers Viscount or Vickers Vanguard which shared the same window design.
These short haul workhorses were a familiar sight at British airports in the 60s and 70s, the Viscount entered service in the mid 50s followed in 1960 by the larger Vanguard.
The Viscount in particular was exported around the globe and US operator Continental used the Viscount on its domestic routes.
They were both pressurised and operated up to 25 and 30 thousand feet respectively.
Only one pressure related incident comes to mind and that wasnt a window fault rather it was a rear bulkhead failure on a Vanguard.
Both a/c were operated by BEA in the 60s at Manchester Liverpool and London airports from where The Beatles made many trips to Europe and interior domestic trips filming etc.
I have lived next to Manchester Airport all my life (Ive worked there for 25 years) and we used to see the Beatles and other stars coming and going there for TV shows through the local roads before the motorways were built.
Granada TV and BBC Manchester used to broadcast many pop shows (Top Of The Pops was produced in a converted church hall studio in the beginning here in Manchester) and Granada were the producers of the now famous Cavern film of The Beatles in a feature about the rising stars.
The a/c with large square windows is likely to be Douglas DC7 or even Convair 440.

Somewhere on this forum is a photo of The Beatles in the cockpit of a Vanguard.
brammy

Post by brammy »

brammy

Post by brammy »

brammy

Post by brammy »

brammy

Post by brammy »

does this look faked to you?
lennon st fi.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What looks fake to you?
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Hard to say with my computer's resolution but maybe Lennon looks superimposed over the background.

The current Mojo Magazine is a special on The Beatles (white album).

It's in the libraries now.

In the articles, according to Chris Thomas and Barry Sheffield, after George Martin took his vacation and Geoff Emerick his leave, Ringo returned and a new sense of appreciation and rapport developed between the musicians. Still moments of tension, but apparently this is when the Beatles focused on playing together again and folks in the studio were knocked out at how tight the band played. Paul said it was leftover from the effects of coming up through the stiff competition between the bands in Liverpool. Ringo has mentioned that he had a better time on these sessions than recording Sgt. Pepper. Nice interviews with Yoko and others. I'm going to spend more time re-reading the issue to nail details down.

Well worth taking a look!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... 9d008fef80

About time! She should get some for Because as well.
Imagine no possesions
Imagine no possesions
J & Y.jpg (4.2 KiB) Viewed 3705 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZnzxovFqw
Don't let democracy end democracy.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Cant be played enough

brammy

Post by brammy »