What strings used on Hofner bass?

The history and music of the Fab Four
FabGearHead

Re: What strings used on Hofner bass?

Post by FabGearHead »

In Bass Player Mag a few years back, the guitar tech for Paul said he used light gauge Labella flats on the Hofner.
A bit more clear than "long and shiny," don't you think?

Jim
rickfan63
Veteran RRF member

Post by rickfan63 »

I bought a red Hofner CT a while back and now use Labella Hofner flats 50-100 on it and my Brice copy. They are excellent strings, and really bring out the best in both basses. For me there's really no reason to use anything else anymore.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

LaBella "Beatle Bass" set, the heavier of the two sets.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
dbrowdie@gmail.com

Post by dbrowdie@gmail.com »

I am a proud owner of a original vintage 1964 Hofner Beatle Bass. I got it in a used guitar store in 1982 when I was 14 years old. I am 45 years old now. I have had a neck reset done on it because I couldn't get the action of the strings any lower. Hofner basses this age eventually all have to have the neck reset. A neck reset involves having a professional remove the entire neck off the bass & reattach correctly using glue.
I tried Pyramid strings on my Hofner. They were just ok but not great. I recommend Genuine Hofner Flat-Wound bass strings. They sound & feel great. Look for them on the internet for the best price. A good price is $60. Don't pay more than $75.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

I also use the original Höfner Flatwound bass strings on all of my past and my recent basses.
Comfortable to play and sound original to me !
All you need is love and a rick !
rickfan63
Veteran RRF member

Post by rickfan63 »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Hofner strings are made by Pyramid in Germany.
HofnerVox

Post by HofnerVox »

image.jpg
I've tried a bunch and I always keep going back to these.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Either real Hofner strings or the LaBella's are great. TI's are good if your fingers don't turn black from the pure nickel wrap. Sir Macca did use Roto tapes for a short bit, but they do require a nut modification, so they probably aren't worth it, unless your perspiration is reactive with strings and you won't be changing them for the forseeable future.

More important than the strings is the setup. The bridge is, well, it takes work. Then run the bass through an amp that either has natural compression (i.e. tube, at least in the preamp, with a tube rectifier) with the pre-gain on the edge of warmth, or with compression, to avoid the "dropping a pebble on wet cardboard" tone.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”