brammy

Re: Groovy Beatles pictures

Post by brammy »

Capture.PNG
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

It would be nice to hear the live version of We Can Work It Out. Paul played the Vox organ on that and Yesterday. John elbowed it on I'm Down.
Attachments
1965 UK Tour
1965 UK Tour
Beatles 1965 UK.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
Don't let democracy end democracy.
brammy

Post by brammy »

You're right!.... a belated Happy Birthday, John.
Happy-birthday-John-Lennon-700x480.jpg
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

It's Johnny's (belated) Birthday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pXcMw-8Nk
Attachments
“Playing the guitar is all very well, John, but you'll never make a living at it.”
“Playing the guitar is all very well, John, but you'll never make a living at it.”
brammy

Post by brammy »

This was good.... but only good. Its a nice peek behind the Beatles curtain, but at the same time was frustrating that it didn't reveal anything new.
For instance, the sacking of Pete Best was barely mentioned and it was the interviewer's fault for not trying to dig into anything of substance.

Freda0.jpg
Freda1.jpg
Freda2.PNG
Freda3.jpg
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

brammy wrote:For instance, the sacking of Pete Best was barely mentioned and it was the interviewer's fault for not trying to dig into anything of substance.
Even if the interviewer had been more confrontational Freda Kelly would not have been forthcoming with anything polemic. It was a feature of the Epstein controlled Beatles operation back then that those allowed to remain close to the group - the ‘inner circle’ if one wants to call it that - were loyal and able to keep secrets. Any leaks or rocking-the-boat and out you’d go. Brian Epstein was, what would be known today as a control freak when it comes to micro management. In that respect Freda Kelly was well-trained in keeping quiet and doing as she was asked, it also helped she was a big fan and in daily contact with the group. However, the one thing she does have a moan about is the gender bias that was a feature back then. Surrounded by men, she feels while others progressed she was looked on as just a secretary.

Reportedly, after years of silence and at the then age of 69, Freda Kelly was finally persuaded to tell her story by her daughter, Rachel. “My daughter said: 'Your memory box is going now – do it before the dementia sets in. I wanted to make a little film for my grandson, Niall, to know what his granny did in her youth. He's three. I want him to be proud.” With that in mind, it’s not surprising that she wanted to keep it clean and not dish-the-dirt on those not around to answer back.

Other than his suspect drumming ability, I always thought part of the trouble with Pete Best was that he was a mother’s boy, and believe me Mrs Mona Best had a lot to say for herself. Never backwards in coming forwards, she was one strong character in that regard. There is no way she would have been able to resist ‘rocking-the-boat’ if her son hadn’t been sacked. Indeed, she reportedly had a few shouting matches with an equally vocal Brian Epstein (who according to Freda Kelly and others was known to get nasty when challenged) about the quality of early Beatles bookings before things came to a head on 16 January 1962. There was no love lost between the two. While others would have – and still are – agonising over the removal of Pete Best after all this time, Epstein wouldn’t have lost a minute’s sleep over it. On one hand the spin put on events likes to suggest Epstein was just carrying out orders, on the other hand he would have been more than a little pleased to get an interfering Mona Best out of the picture.
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Whoops!!! I made date error. Pete Best's sacking was on 16 August 1962, not 16 January 1962 as I mistakenly stated.

I seem to recall that Mona Best's biggest beef with Brian Epstein was that he didn't then have the necessary know-how and contacts when it came to getting the Beatles into better paying venues. Indeed, she claimed it was her who first approached Manchester-based Granada TV to get the group an appearance on the station's People and Places programme that eventually came to pass on 22 August 1962 with the Cavern performance. In fact, as a 16-year old, I can remember seeing Mona Best inside the Rank Organisation's Majestic Ballroom on Birkenhead's Conway Street, she could well have been checking up with the management as to how everything was going. One couldn't really miss her, small in statue with jet black hair wearing a corresponding full length black fur coat and, for a woman of her age, attractive looking with a round face and olive looking complexion. There's no doubt where her son got his good looks from.

Below is a brief clip on You Tube of Mona Best and son being interviewed on some TV programme or other (Not sure but I'll take a quess it was about 1965 / 66) ...

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Mersey Me
Mersey Me
More of a mystery to me than Pete's sacking is how so many of the details about the Beatles' involvement with the Best family was kept out of general awareness for so many years. The whole affair between Mona Best and Neil Aspinall; how Lennon convinced Mona to let him borrow Pete's grandfather's medals to wear on the Sgt. Pepper's cover; etc.
Attachments
Hey Ritchie, hand me the cymbal.jpg
Hey Ritchie, hand me the cymbal.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
brammy

Post by brammy »

Yea.... that is one of my alltime favorite Beatpix.... Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey, Friday 8 December 1961
tower_ringo_john_paul_george.jpg
Good point about how Brian was probably happy that John, Paul and (especially) George asked him to give Pete the boot. Mona might not have been a big pain to Brian (we may never know) but her out of the picture could not have been a negative in Brian's mind. Having said that, I say that the biggest factor in Pete's downfall is simply that he had never fit in personality-wise. John is on record being very cruel to Pete's drumming, but in the end one of the main factors is that they simply thought that Ringo was for fun to be with.

We all might feel bad for Pete in how the issue was handled (a total chickenshit move by the Fab 3 in not telling him directly), but (as George Harrison said) history has shown that Ringo was THE one for that "play".... it's just that he didn't enter until the second act.

interesting....
Last edited by brammy on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brammy

Post by brammy »

005.jpg
006.jpg
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Ooooh...Mona: I need you baby that's no lie <br />Without your love I'd surely die
Ooooh...Mona: I need you baby that's no lie
Without your love I'd surely die
I try to imagine "A Day in the Life" with Pete playing, and from all reports, Brian probably was pretty happy to have "that woman" out of his!
&quot;I coulda been a contender&quot;
"I coulda been a contender"
Creator of the &quot;The Atomic Beat&quot;
Creator of the "The Atomic Beat"
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

brammy wrote:
Capture.PNG
Never saw the pic above of Lennon outdoors on stage in turtleneck. Any info on it? Thanks!
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

That picture was from a show on August 5th 1963 at Abbotsfield Park in Urmston, Lancashire. Thank you Mark Lewisohn (The Beatles Live!) and the internet!
Attachments
Urmston5August63 01.jpg
Urmston5August63 02.jpg
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

Another interesting picture, too bad it's so out of focus. From a show in Ipswich, October 31st 1964. John playing George's 425 and it's already had the second pickup added
Attachments
beatles-ipswich 63 - Copy.jpg

Return to “Beatles' Forum”